The meaning of "Brown henke (dither) ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pencilrocket

The meaning of "Brown henke (dither) ?

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Could someone tell me the defenition of the "Brown henke (dither)"?
It seems that this words are not common words and I can't find the answer from the google.

Is this a secret language? Not knowing this words I think I can't fully understand what forum members are talking about in some topics.

Thanks.

crumhorn

Re: The meaning of "Brown henke (dither) ?

Post by crumhorn » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:47 pm

It was discovered by Robert Henke of Ableton and Ernst Brown of IRCAM and describes a subtle enharmonic distortion in the summing bus resulting from cross modulation products in the complex convolution algorithm employed by many plugin effects.

But it is completely inaudible to all but a few, with extremely sensitive hearing - the sort of people that can hear differences between different summing bus designs that normal people can't detect.

It doesn't exist
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

henke

Post by henke » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:51 pm

from wikipedia:

'brown henke dither' is a special type of spectral distributed n-tuple noise used mainly in digital audio workstations for dithering purposes. It adds a +47.3db noise signal to a soundfile, which as a result reduces the information and therefor any potential error in the composition to zero. brown henke dither can be obtained by various means. common methods use the square of the sum of all tarnce tracks ever made, or the mean of seven randomly chosen forum posts.'

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:52 pm

I bow to your superior knowledge.

henke

Post by henke » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:55 pm

(removed for clarity)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:41 pm

I thought Brown Henke Dither was related to the area of the brain known as "Shatner's Bassoon"
:?
I must be thinking of something else.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:32 pm

crumhorn wrote:It was discovered by Robert Henke of Ableton and Ernst Brown of IRCAM and describes a subtle enharmonic distortion in the summing bus resulting from cross modulation products in the complex convolution algorithm employed by many plugin effects.

But it is completely inaudible to all but a few, with extremely sensitive hearing - the sort of people that can hear differences between different summing bus designs that normal people can't detect.

It doesn't exist
It cleared some aspect but also confused other things.
Who is Ernst Brown of IRCAM? No resuft from google at all.
http://www.google.com/search?q="Ernst+Brown"+IRCAM

I understood that the person named Robert Henke is mentioned here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolake
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Henke
And he is joined this forum and have a conversation with ppl friendly as the nickname "henke" without Mod or official staff tag even though he is co-developer of Live software.

Then what does the dither related with him? Did he code the Live's sound process things?

crumhorn wrote:It was discovered by Robert Henke of Ableton and Ernst Brown of IRCAM and describes a subtle enharmonic distortion in the summing bus resulting from cross modulation products in the complex convolution algorithm employed by many plugin effects.

It doesn't exist
Not bad but too nerdy to decieve. :lol:

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:36 pm

pencilrocket wrote:

It doesn't exist
It cleared some aspect but also confused other things.
Who is Ernst Brown of IRCAM? No resuft from google at all.
http://www.google.com/search?q="Ernst+Brown"+IRCAM

I understood that the person named Robert Henke is mentioned here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolake
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Henke
And he is joined this forum and have a conversation with ppl friendly as the nickname "henke" without Mod or official staff tag even though he is co-developer of Live software.

Then what does the dither related with him? Did he code the Live's sound process things?

It doesn't exist
Not bad but too nerdy to decieve. :lol:
Well I wasn't trying to be too deceptive :lol:

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:46 pm

Opps I misquoted the post. Sry.

Deceiptive post is this.
henke wrote:from wikipedia:

'brown henke dither' is a special type of spectral distributed n-tuple noise used mainly in digital audio workstations for dithering purposes. It adds a +47.3db noise signal to a soundfile, which as a result reduces the information and therefor any potential error in the composition to zero. brown henke dither can be obtained by various means. common methods use the square of the sum of all tarnce tracks ever made, or the mean of seven randomly chosen forum posts.'

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:52 pm

Angstrom wrote:I thought Brown Henke Dither was related to the area of the brain known as "Shatner's Bassoon"
I'm afraid you are. That's the part of the brain affected by dimizmeric phosphate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwylBRucU7w

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:08 pm

Piplodocus wrote:
Angstrom wrote:I thought Brown Henke Dither was related to the area of the brain known as "Shatner's Bassoon"
I'm afraid you are. That's the part of the brain affected by dimizmeric phosphate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwylBRucU7w
What a fuckin' disgrace. :!: :x

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:49 pm

crumhorn wrote:
Piplodocus wrote:
What a fuckin' disgrace. :!: :x
"One girl was so sick she threw up her own pelvis bone" and let's not forget the boy who "cried all the water out of his body" 8O
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:04 pm

Joss Ackland's spunky backpack?
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

cacti

Post by cacti » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:05 am

henke wrote:from wikipedia:

'common methods use the square of the sum of all tarnce tracks ever made,'

lol