The REAL status of Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
condra

Re: The REAL status of Live 9

Post by condra » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Credit where credits due. That was actually kinda funny.

synnack

Post by synnack » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:57 pm

keefbaker wrote:My live has been solid as a rock since 8.2 but... what would I know..
^ this.

Also (and unrelated to Keefe), I know my 1000+ post fan boy friends normally follow the "who cares about Live 9, Live 8 is lord just give me stable" camp.

While that's certainly understandable, I think much of why "omg where is Live 9" is here is not because people believe they will actually make better music with more features (god i hope they don't anyway). It's not because something is even wrong or missing in Live 8. I think the reason is... FUN!

Past Live releases have added all kinds of fun things. I remember refreshing the forums over and over for days when Live 8 and M4L and APC40 was all announced. Like HOLY SHIT. It's just fun to think of what could be next, and anticipate having more fun with it.

My guess is 50% of people are here because of music. The other half are here because of music+technology. Live 9 is about music and technology so we are excited to know what's coming.

Viva la Live 9 speculation threads. And viva my stable install of Live 8 and M4L.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:29 pm

tempus3r wrote:

It's not because something is even wrong or missing in Live 8. I think the reason is... FUN!
Something is missing for me, its tempo mapping. I know people say tempo mapping is available already in live but the way live does it you still hear time stretching artifacts when mapping a long track. Maybe with max for live you can make a tempo mapping plugin idk (I guess if anyone could answer this it would be you). Live is the only major daw out there without real tempo mapping. Most musicians do not make music that fits to a grid 100 percent of the time.
But you are right about the fun part.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

cabletone

Post by cabletone » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:00 pm

tempus3r wrote:
keefbaker wrote:My live has been solid as a rock since 8.2 but... what would I know..
^ this.

Also (and unrelated to Keefe), I know my 1000+ post fan boy friends normally follow the "who cares about Live 9, Live 8 is lord just give me stable" camp.

While that's certainly understandable, I think much of why "omg where is Live 9" is here is not because people believe they will actually make better music with more features (god i hope they don't anyway). It's not because something is even wrong or missing in Live 8. I think the reason is... FUN!

Past Live releases have added all kinds of fun things. I remember refreshing the forums over and over for days when Live 8 and M4L and APC40 was all announced. Like HOLY SHIT. It's just fun to think of what could be next, and anticipate having more fun with it.

My guess is 50% of people are here because of music. The other half are here because of music+technology. Live 9 is about music and technology so we are excited to know what's coming.

Viva la Live 9 speculation threads. And viva my stable install of Live 8 and M4L.
+1

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:08 pm

tempus3r wrote: While that's certainly understandable, I think much of why "omg where is Live 9" is here is not because people believe they will actually make better music with more features (god i hope they don't anyway). It's not because something is even wrong or missing in Live 8. I think the reason is... FUN!

9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

prebentious

Post by prebentious » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:11 pm

nathannn wrote: Something is missing for me, its tempo mapping. Live is the only major daw out there without real tempo mapping. Most musicians do not make music that fits to a grid 100 percent of the time.
Do you know about setting a clip to 'master'?
it works well for me.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:36 am

prebentious wrote:
nathannn wrote: Something is missing for me, its tempo mapping. Live is the only major daw out there without real tempo mapping. Most musicians do not make music that fits to a grid 100 percent of the time.
Do you know about setting a clip to 'master'?
it works well for me.
yes i know about this. it does not work for me, like i said i hear time stretching artifacts when using this with long tracks..
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

headquest

Post by headquest » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:44 pm

That's not because of the tempo mapping though, it's because of the quality of the timestretch itself (which I think is pretty good, but often you need to tweak the settings and make sure you have the best algo for each clip etc...).

What I would like to see is MIDI File Tempo Track support, alongside which proper MIDI file import/export would be a real bonus for me.
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud