looking for a midi controller with with tons of knobs only?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
8O

Re: looking for a midi controller with with tons of knobs only?

Post by 8O » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:56 pm

DIY: a MIDIBOX with a core and two AIN (Analogue In) modules can give you 64 knobs->midi.

Otherwise, a second-hand UC-33e or a couple of UC-16 is another option.

login

Post by login » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:12 pm

For DIY stuff check Hale microsystems their stuff seems not so difficult to implement.

http://www.halemicro.com/Products/Products.html

grimleyj

Post by grimleyj » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:39 pm

Agreed ... DIY is the way to go! If I were going to do this again I would go the Hale Micro route just for the almost plug and play aspect of the components. However, the Doepfer Pocket Electronic (which I used for the attached controller) was fairly easy to implement also.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:44 pm

I too got my Code very recently, and although I haven't had a lot of time to play around with it, I can relate to what you're saying. The knobs are close together, but what did you expect, with those measurments? The knobs are very sensitive, indeed; you actually have to be very "determined", to avoid jitter. But. BUT: I tried it with Traktor just now, and those push knobs are FANTASTIC for effects! Push and hold to activate effect, turn to adjust amount. Absolutely awesome, and I'm sure I'll get used to the small spacing eventually. The knobs' feel is rivalled only by the X1's, as far as MIDI controllers go (in my experience).

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:00 am

supamonsta wrote: drehbank would be a good alternative to us, but it's quite impossible to find one...
I'm selling a mint condition Drehbank. I am the original owner, & it comes with everything it had when I bought it new from Analog Haven.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... t=drehbank

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Doepfer-Drehban ... 763wt_1191

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:28 am

The knobs are very sensitive, indeed; you actually have to be very "determined", to avoid jitter.
got the code for some about 2 months now, and it's dope actually. The editor allows to choose the pots sensitivity, so we can mimic the controls of, say, some EQ on a DJ console for example to have quick sweeps without the need to turn the pot 2 or 3 times

still bugs with the pads, so we only use the big one but that's not a big deal, we got plenty of pads with the other controllers.

code is absolutely amazing for live ease and freedom,

cool one :wink:

coconut8

Post by coconut8 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:28 am

I have bought bcr 2000 soon as he went for sale and had more than 100 gigs with it. It had just one knob broken due to taking it out from the bag, I've super glued the knob and it's working without any prob. From my experience bcr 2000 is not a fancy toy and it's big, but it's almost indestructible and never had any midi or other issue with him connected to ableton.

moonpie

Post by moonpie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:34 pm

funken wrote:Just a little aside...I have a £60 cheapo keyboard with 8 knobs. It has 5 saveable presets. Using 5 Remote User Scripts I can control 16 parameters on each of 5 devices in a song. I usually have 4 locked to the main synths/devices, and one free to instantly control any other device. Thats 5x16= 80 parameters at 'the same time' (ok, a spilt second hitting a button to change preset or the left-right cursor to control 2x8= all 16 parameters per device). I never midi-map anything. Anyone who hasnt discovered this yet, see my MIDI thread and get twiddling.

Link if possible? Couldnt find it! Thanks!

Gab

Post by Gab » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:31 pm

moonpie wrote:
funken wrote:Just a little aside...I have a £60 cheapo keyboard with 8 knobs. It has 5 saveable presets. Using 5 Remote User Scripts I can control 16 parameters on each of 5 devices in a song. I usually have 4 locked to the main synths/devices, and one free to instantly control any other device. Thats 5x16= 80 parameters at 'the same time' (ok, a spilt second hitting a button to change preset or the left-right cursor to control 2x8= all 16 parameters per device). I never midi-map anything. Anyone who hasnt discovered this yet, see my MIDI thread and get twiddling.

Link if possible? Couldnt find it! Thanks!
Took me a moment to find it, but here it is : http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=164575
'If they act too hip, you know they can’t play shit.'

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:00 pm

funken wrote:The trick with this for Ableton devices is this: the devices you want to control, midi map the title bars to buttons in User Page 2. That way you just tap a button to focus on different Live devices.
GREAT TIP! I never realized that this was mappable. Thank you

As mentioned previously: Doepfer Pocket Dial.

16 encoders x 4 banks x 16 MIDI channels. Easy to change the MIDI channel on the fly. Nicely angled chassis. The physical noise of the encoders is low, which is good (something to consider when working on quiet music or passages). I use two. Highly recommended.

Faderfox LD2:

16 encoders x 13 banks. Battery option. Live has instant mapping/control surface option for it. I use one. Recommended.

I'm interested in taking both the Behringer BCR2000 & the Novation Nocturn for test drives some day.