Is Live Dead?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Is Live Dead?

Yes, I hate to say it but it needs reviving quickly!
18%
No, even though a new version ain't been released since.... I forgot it's been so long.
76%
Don't really care, I lost interest a long time ago.
6%

Total votes: 108

WaveRider

Re: Is Live Dead?

Post by WaveRider » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:05 am

I am here since live4 and live8 is pretty satisfying... group tracks, vst parameters sorted, native compressor and limiter, the issues I had for years are pretty much solved. I would be happy if they fine tune it for years. But someday Live9 will appear, if they implement some scoring features (notation or not), some way to work on the composition as a whole, that would interest me. To me that is Live's bottleneck, going beyond lots of individual clips and work on the composition as a whole. Like I used to with some ancient software for example (barsNPipes) i.e. define the chords and structure of the composition on a master track and all the clips would follow. Orchestration tools. Live auto-accompaniment or something funnier and more musical than triggering clips, that I am sick of, it's not a very musical gesture and it's not as fun as playing a real instrument. But by then it might be live12 :lol:

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:25 am

Hahaha What the fuck is this bullshit. Live's not dead at all. Thousands of people use Live EVERY DAY... You just don't hear them bitching on a forum about it because they are busy in their studios.

(Whereas the rest of us dorks are meta-bitching :D)

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:57 am

Piplodocus wrote:Course it's not Dead.. it's a Live! :oops:

:)

Last time I looked, it was still alive. That being yesterday.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:18 am

Why does there always have to be a newer version in the immediate future for people to be happy?

Isn't this the thing that really matters: How the current version compares to the whatever else is currently on the market...

It seems there are always people ready to switch to something else just because what they're using isn't "brand new" anymore. I often wonder if there are people actually switching or being lured to software that (under close examination) has less features or that is less easy to use, just because it has been "recently updated".

I mean, of course if things are let go long enough when it comes to software, it can become broken. But Ableton have been updating Live 8, so it's far from being outdated or crippled just because it doesn't have a number 9 stamped on it.
Last edited by icedsushi on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

luddy

Post by luddy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:26 am

Seems that there are some folks that think that Live is missing essential features or needs a constant influx of new features to keep it compelling. I couldn't disagree more. For a tool that's focused on live performance, the first thing is stability, the second thing is performance (disk and cpu), the third thing is to be able to handle big live sets gracefully (lots of tracks and devices). If Live were really so feature-poor it would never have gotten to this point.

My guess is that version 9 will be 64 bit, and that there won't really be so much in the way of new features. Probably some small stuff mostly concerning interface. That's just a guess of course, who knows. M4L introduced so much new functionality that the system as a whole feels like it hasn't even caught up yet.

If you want to be buried under a pile of constantly shifting features, buy Logic! :P :lol:

-Luddy

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:43 am

Yes I certainly see your point in the way some people think about an update.

So let's use your 64 bit feature as an example.

They could very well come out with 64 bit with a couple other things like bezier curves, improved PDC and provide a free update to Live 8. But more people are going to be unhappy, resentful, losing interest with it that way, than if they were to provide 64 bit, bezier curves, improved PDC, call it Live 9 and charge them for it.

I think there's some kind of backwards psychology going on here. In the example, it's the same thing both ways, but people feel more satisfied when what it's called something fresh and NEW, even if they have to pay for the exact same things.

Providing a "new version" rather than providing an "update" is a great marketing tool to get people excited about paying for updates! I mean I think Ableton should get paid for what they do, and you can see how people are still going to be unhappy no matter what they do unless it says Live 9 on the splash screen when they launch the program. So yes, I can see how Live 9 ASAP would be a win win for everyone!

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:54 am

Why have you change your environment even though your working application does't support new environment? It's your fault. Pro never changes his or her environment until they have good reason for transfering.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:02 am

Seems that there are some folks that think that Live is missing essential features or needs a constant influx of new features to keep it compelling. I couldn't disagree more. For a tool that's focused on live performance, the first thing is stability, the second thing is performance (disk and cpu), the third thing is to be able to handle big live sets gracefully (lots of tracks and devices). If Live were really so feature-poor it would never have gotten to this point.

My guess is that version 9 will be 64 bit, and that there won't really be so much in the way of new features. Probably some small stuff mostly concerning interface. That's just a guess of course, who knows. M4L introduced so much new functionality that the system as a whole feels like it hasn't even caught up yet.
+ 1

Yup, it makes me wonder if the people who voted that Live is dead ( :lol: ) have bothered to invest in Live's greatest upgrade, M4L.

And if 'Live' is dead, WTF are they doing hanging out on a lame arse forum full of dead people??? :x

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:25 am

Sibanger wrote:

+ 1

Yup, it makes me wonder if the people who voted that Live is dead ( :lol: ) have bothered to invest in Live's greatest upgrade, M4L.

And if 'Live' is dead, WTF are they doing hanging out on a lame arse forum full of dead people??? :x
But m4l is for nerd not musician.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:33 am

:lol:

I doubt I will ever learn how to write in Max. I just use what other people create.

It is just a tool for musicians/producers/tweakers to use. Just like the rest of Live's instruments & FX.

esky

Post by esky » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:34 am

...what...a...stupid...poll...! :roll:

headquest

Post by headquest » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:21 am

I agree the poll is stupid, as it doesn't give the option I wanted to simply say "No, of course Live is not dead... get a grip!"

I also think that it's great that Ableton have focussed on fixing the issues in Live 8. Previously their annual development cycle was probably TOO fast, which is one reason that too many issues weren't spotted and fixed in time. I've used Live since version 2, and there was definitely a gradual decline in the quality department with each new version... they needed to slow things down, even for a time, and I'm glad they did.

That said, I think that it's probably now about time to announce what's planned for the next version. Live 8.2 seems to be a pretty good release by anyone's standards. And unveiling what's in store will give users something to look forward to while keeping Live firmly in the spotlight more widely. Some of the competing products are getting all the publicity... Ableton have always excelled at marketing, so my guess is they will be seizing some headlines in the near future...
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:46 am

Sibanger wrote:
:lol:

I doubt I will ever learn how to write in Max. I just use what other people create.

It is just a tool for musicians/producers/tweakers to use. Just like the rest of Live's instruments & FX.
My point is majority of users don't expect buggy Live 8 (or 9) with M4L integration over stable pure Live 8/9. Being different from other daw the stability always came first for Live , the other functions are always second even if it interferes the implimentation of functions. That's why I am saying ableton should seperate the software itself to arrangement version and session version.

sinesquaresaw

Post by sinesquaresaw » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:19 am

Dude... Live 8 is so sick that I really just can't find it in my heart to complain too much. Its like they built a custom music making machine just for me! Its brilliant.

That being said, I will most likely shit my pants all over again when 9 comes out.

Keep up the good work, Ableton. You sexy bastards.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:51 am

op... you are using 2 outdated versions of software..
on an OS that's not officially supported ..
(although L7 is running flawlessly on my w7x64)

there's not much left to say ...
either install xp... or vista ..
or get the latest versions of Live / Reason ..

personally ...I think they shouldn't rush L9...
and I applaud Ableton for taking their time to do it properly this time ..

Live is very much alive ...and has heaps of dedicated users..

I don't know of any 'real' alternative out there ..