Compressing a group channel?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
reubenk

Compressing a group channel?

Post by reubenk » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:23 am

Hi guys,
I have recently launched my new radio show.. It consists of say.. 15 voiceovers..

What I want to do is, when the voiceover kicks in - the track playing in the background reduces in volume slightly to make the voiceover clearer, a standard radio effect.

I have set up a compressor on each audio channel that i have music playing on, and have it sidechained to the VoiceoverGroup, as i couldnt get ableton to react whenever I bussed all the audio channels as one, and tried to compress it off another bus/group for Voiceovers.

The way I have it set up is say, Music Channel 1 has a compressor on it , Sidechaining to my VoiceoverGroup that contains all my voiceovers.. But this will not seem to work.. It would make life very difficult for me if I had to put compressors on every voiceover channel and sidechaining them to every audio track I use.. Does anyone know a way of combatting this?

Thanks in advance :D

agent314

Re: Compressing a group channel?

Post by agent314 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:29 pm

I don't think you can use Groups for sidechaining, if I remember correctly.

You might be able to get a similar effect by using a Send turning up the Group's Send knob for that particular send, applying a muted Utility to it and set the sidechain input to be the Send track, pre-FX. That way you'll get the same signal, but you won't hear it doubled (b/c of the Utility)

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:08 pm

Do it like this:
Send all your different tracks except the track of your voiceover, to the same track (in my case "2 BUS") and set monitor on the "BUS" track to "In".
Put a compressor over it.
Sidechain it with the audio from your voiceovertrack... C'est tout!
Good luck...

soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

reubenk

Post by reubenk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:03 pm

Uncloned solved my problem, thanks alot!

ShelLuser you may want to read my post again, I didnt say anywhere that I put compressors on my VOICEOVER channels, I put them on my MUSIC channels to sidechain off the VOICEOVER channel