iPhone crash: all purchased Apps lost forever?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ze2be
Posts: 3455
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:17 am
Location: Mos Eisley

iPhone crash: all purchased Apps lost forever?

Post by ze2be » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:54 pm

Hi guys.

Short story: I had to reinstall Windows on my iPhone PC. Apple have decided that doing this ends all comunication with the phone, forever. Even though all files are still on the phone, itunes needs to clean the phones drive to be able to reconect to itunes, and sync. Nice logic. Are all my Apps lost forever?

Long story, if you like:
I had a bad crash recently. A few months ago I had to reinstall Windows, due to malware attacks. After this, I could no longer sync the phone. This is how Apple works. The only way to re-establish sync from here, is to wipe the phone and reinstall the OS. Lately I decided to do so. I exported all my recorded audio files and Nano Studio projects, all my music notes, and all pictures. Forgot my contacs!!

Anyway, when starting the reinstall process, the phone crashed. And it went completely black. I could not get it going, even when folowing some guids on the net. Finally, I went to the shop, and they fixed it for me within an hour. When I connect it again to iTunes, it appears all my Apps are lost? I have purchased a lot of audio apps, as well as other stuf too. Not that Apps are expencive, but the best once are pricey, and I had a few of those. Not very happy with this experience.
? ? ? ? ?

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: iPhone crash: all purchased Apps lost forever?

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:57 pm

of all the web sites in the world you post this on here?

do what you want, I guess, but I find this very strange.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

ze2be
Posts: 3455
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:17 am
Location: Mos Eisley

Re: iPhone crash: all purchased Apps lost forever?

Post by ze2be » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Tone Deft wrote:of all the web sites in the world you post this on here?

do what you want, I guess, but I find this very strange.
Because nice guys like you hang out her, Tone. :) And im not really hanging out at any other forum. Anyway, it is semi Music and Audio Production related, since I use the phone with Live!
? ? ? ? ?

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: iPhone crash: all purchased Apps lost forever?

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:07 pm

:lol: nice guy? depends on the day. ;) :P

this will probably just get bumped to the Lounge where you very well may get some good help.

no clue what to do. iPhones allow easy access to so much information but when DRM goes bad it's a royal pain in the ass.

another lesson in 'back up early, back up often.'
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

Jimbabwae
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:29 pm

Re: iPhone crash: all purchased Apps lost forever?

Post by Jimbabwae » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:47 pm

My umderstanding is that, so long as you're logged in to your account on the phone, you can download the apps again for free.. You have to go through as if you're purchasing but it'll tell you you already bought it and that you can download again for free. That's certainly been the case for me!

You will have to remember each one and download them one by one tho,

ze2be
Posts: 3455
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:17 am
Location: Mos Eisley

Re: iPhone crash: all purchased Apps lost forever?

Post by ze2be » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:48 pm

Tone Deft wrote::lol: nice guy? depends on the day. ;) :P

this will probably just get bumped to the Lounge where you very well may get some good help.

no clue what to do. iPhones allow easy access to so much information but when DRM goes bad it's a royal pain in the ass.

another lesson in 'back up early, back up often.'
As long as one is honest about it when being grumpy, you are a nice guy to me. If coffee is all it takes, we can easily be good friends! :P

Yeah yeah yeah, as if I dont know about backup. ;) Well, being relatively new to the iOS world, I actually thought the iTunes purchased Apps was stored online. Just like other software for OSX or Windows. Lesson learned: Apple f@cks you in the @ss!

Apple iOS. Lovely GUI, lots of great Audio Apps. But im pretty shore all my apps are lost. The upcoming iCloud will hopefully make it easier to backup. Unless they make it a pay monthly only service, like they did with Mobile Me, or the one they had before that. Pay for backup? Argh :x
? ? ? ? ?

ze2be
Posts: 3455
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:17 am
Location: Mos Eisley

Re: iPhone crash: all purchased Apps lost forever?

Post by ze2be » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:48 pm

Jimbabwae, if thats true, I love you!

ok, lets see..
? ? ? ? ?

ze2be
Posts: 3455
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:17 am
Location: Mos Eisley

Re: iPhone crash: all purchased Apps lost forever?

Post by ze2be » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:53 pm

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
? ? ? ? ?

hoffman2k
Posts: 14691
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: iPhone crash: all purchased Apps lost forever?

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:11 pm

Jimbabwae wrote:My umderstanding is that, so long as you're logged in to your account on the phone, you can download the apps again for free.. You have to go through as if you're purchasing but it'll tell you you already bought it and that you can download again for free. That's certainly been the case for me!

You will have to remember each one and download them one by one tho,
Actually, there's a "purchased" button now. Showing you all the apps you downloaded.
Alternatively I think you can also check your transaction history.

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: iPhone crash: all purchased Apps lost forever?

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:13 pm

there ya go!

agreed on the amount of knowledge around here, people from all over.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: iPhone crash: all purchased Apps lost forever?

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:26 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
Jimbabwae wrote:My umderstanding is that, so long as you're logged in to your account on the phone, you can download the apps again for free.. You have to go through as if you're purchasing but it'll tell you you already bought it and that you can download again for free. That's certainly been the case for me!

You will have to remember each one and download them one by one tho,
Actually, there's a "purchased" button now. Showing you all the apps you downloaded.
Alternatively I think you can also check your transaction history.

Damnit, you beat me to it. :x :P

But wanted to add on your iPhone go to the App Store app and then tap on updates in the bottom right corner and you'll find the Purchased list there.

ze2be
Posts: 3455
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:17 am
Location: Mos Eisley

Re: iPhone crash: all purchased Apps lost forever?

Post by ze2be » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:25 pm

Yup, found it. Thanks guys!!!


Image




Image
? ? ? ? ?

tw1nstates
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:00 pm

Re: iPhone crash: all purchased Apps lost forever?

Post by tw1nstates » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:59 am

I'd ask non live related questions here, why? Cos it's full of people who think (for the most part) with a degree of similarity.

And I'd hazard a bet that the average IQ is a fair bit higher than the national average of each country the users here are from....
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: iPhone crash: all purchased Apps lost forever?

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:33 pm

tw1nstates wrote:I'd ask non live related questions here, why? Cos it's full of people who think (for the most part) with a degree of similarity.

And I'd hazard a bet that the average IQ is a fair bit higher than the national average of each country the users here are from....
as for the first part, great, with the hundreds of users that pop up, what happens when they all start asking OT questions here? it's 2011, most people can find answers to their questions with google. some people just rely on others.
"will I lose my apps if my iphone crashes" <-- google search, SECOND hit. found in less time it takes to make a new thread.

the Lounge was clearly made for asking OT questions, invalidating your second point.

I come here for music and Live talk, I go to other forums for other topics.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

majicmonk
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: iPhone crash: all purchased Apps lost forever?

Post by majicmonk » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:42 pm

Yes im with tone deft on this one. Its a real downer on my day when i spot a link on a forum where it "shouldnt" be.......now where did i put that noose ;)

Post Reply