motorized faders

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DISUYE

motorized faders

Post by DISUYE » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:35 am

Hmmm... and earlier post got me thinking... they've got Rotary Encoders, why not Linear Encoders? An row of LEDs next to a thin touch sensitive strip? Or even better, some way of combining the LED readout & the touchpad together?

No bulky motorization, all the benefits of software-linked faders (no sketchy jumps etc)... no moving parts... gimme 8+1 faders, add RCA audio 2in/4out, headphone socket, and 24 of the same low profile knobs as found on that Edirol PCR (whatever) keyboard. Firewire. Could make a great controller THE SAME FORM FACTOR as a 12" Powerbook.

Going back to the first bit - if LED lit Linear Encoders have already been done, post links here. If not send cheques to... :)

Dan

DISUYE

Post by DISUYE » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:37 am

Oh yeah - I'm aware of that touch screen controller which is around at the moment... not what I'm talking about.

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:49 am

it's all about the accuracy of the touch sensitive strip.

DISUYE

Post by DISUYE » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:53 am

The one on my Korg Prophecy is pretty accurate... and that's a 7+ year old technology.

If they can manufacture a trackpad for a PC/Mac laptop then I'm sure a vertical strip shouldn't be too hard?!

Dan.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:35 pm

M-Audio actually had the Control One that I was waiting for deperately, did exactly what you want (minus the LEDs, but it displayed position in a global LCD). They cancelled it due to price though, touchstrips with any amount of accuracy are rather expensive to make I guess.

Trackpads are....well touchy IMO (pun intended). They do work fine most of the time, but ever pick up a cold wet beer and then try to use one? Doesn't always work, ditto with the iPod scroll wheels.

Cool idea, but I bet it would be expensive....

DISUYE

Post by DISUYE » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:58 pm

Fair enough - although for accuracy, we're talking about playing or DJing with Live, so as long as your levels are in the 10% ballpark then it should be cool :)

Ableton could also implement and Upper & Lower limit to the voloume faders (same as they do with the Song Tempo range) which would make any hardware interface more accurate. I never have to completely boost or completely cut using the software faders; that's the job of the Pioneer mixer.

Just an idea... still haven't found the right control surface for this puppy yet.

Dan

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:42 pm

Fair enough - although for accuracy, we're talking about playing or DJing with Live, so as long as your levels are in the 10% ballpark then it should be cool

>>>Yeah, but it would suck if your levels suddenly jumped too high due to controller inaccuracy, you blow the PA, the sound guy kicks your ass, you don't get paid, fans around the world start returning your CDs, and eventually you realize you NEVER are going to get to go back in time via a phonebooth to save the world. :) <<<

Ableton could also implement and Upper & Lower limit to the voloume faders (same as they do with the Song Tempo range) which would make any hardware interface more accurate.

>>>I wish all the midi assignable controls in Live were like this too, woudl make certain things MUCH easier. <<<

I never have to completely boost or completely cut using the software faders; that's the job of the Pioneer mixer.

>>>Ditto, I use the DJ mixer for volume control. <<<

Just an idea... still haven't found the right control surface for this puppy yet.

>>>I think a lot of us are in this boat right now. For DJing, I really don't even want a controller, I'd never have room for it anyway. For Live PA's, I'm going with the Behringer BCR and BCF for now. The pair can be had for about $300, good enough to hold me over until something better comes along.... <<<

Dan[/quote]