CUEING PROBLEM - PLEASE HELP!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Westpit

CUEING PROBLEM - PLEASE HELP!

Post by Westpit » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:37 am

Hello.

I am trying to set up Live 4 for cueing. I was given a Sound Blaster PCI512 sound card. I downloaded the correct drivers for XP off of the sound blaster website, but I can’t get Ableton to see both outputs. Does anyone know if this sound card will allow me to do this? I don’t know much about the card at all.

Alternatively, I have on board sound too. I installed the "asio4all" driver and had both sound cards enabled in the settings, and set Lives audio output to the asio4all driver. I had the master running through the sound blaster fine, but Live didn't even see the onboard sound; I only get cue outputs 1,2 & 1/2???

I really need to get this sorted! Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Westpit

Post by Westpit » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:26 am

By the way, the sound blaster has two outputs:

Line Out (Green)
Connects to powered speakers
or an external amplifier for
audio output. Also supports headphones.

Rear Out (Black)
Connects to powered speakers
or an external amplifier for
audio output.

Going on this, I connected the speakers to the rear out and the headphones to the line out. But even if these we're the wrong way around, or the either outputs on the sound card were faulty, I should still get the option to select them in Ableton shouldn't I?

Westpit

Post by Westpit » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:41 pm

Bump! :o

Westpit

Post by Westpit » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:42 am

Anyone? Sorry folks...

Westpit

Post by Westpit » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:07 pm

Bump again :oops:

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:12 pm

live only supports 1 soundcard at a time. so it'll be either the soundblaster, OR the onboard.
now if the soundblaster shows only "1&2" as outputs, it means that you only have 1 stereo out, and therefore won't be able to do any cueing.

Westpit

Post by Westpit » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:32 pm

But what about the asio4all driver? Isn't that supposed to enable live to use 2 soundcards? Even using this driver I still only get outputs 1 & 2.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:40 pm

Westpit wrote:But what about the asio4all driver? Isn't that supposed to enable live to use 2 soundcards?
no, it isn't.
live only supports one soundcard. period.
faq:
http://www.ableton.com/pages/support/fa ... rtMultiple

divonic

Post by divonic » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:19 pm

I'm pretty sure that the soundblaster has 3 ins (line, mic, and aux) and one out. the out is a 1/8" stereo headphone jack. I think that you can set it up so that your single stereo out is actually a pair of mono outs. You're gonna have to frankenstein together cables to get this to work.

What are you using to listen to ableton? are you plugged into a pair of studio monitors? Plugged into a stereo via RCA cables? plugged into a pair of computer speakers?

I don't have my live in front of me but I think if you click on the pull down bar for master and prelisten (in the master section). there should be a configure option. there should be 2 buttons that say 1 mono & 2 mono and the other says 1/2 stereo (or something like that) if you pick the mono option. then go to you're prelisten/cue pull down you should have 2 options 1 or 2 (same with master) set one to 1 and one to 2.

once you have this set up you are going to have to split the signal coming from the 1/8" stereo headphone jack into 2 seperate parts (one will be the master and the other the cue/prelisten) then using converters and plugs (radioshack is your friend here) get the sounds to your headphones and to your listening device.

this should work, it'll be a huge pain in the ass and you will NOT have stereo outs for the master or the headphones. you might want to start looking for a better sound card.

louZ

Post by louZ » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:30 pm

AFAIK Live would recognize 2 soundcards with the Asio4All driver, since the driver treats them as one soundcard. I wouldn't know of asio4all supports all soundcards though. Have you tried googling about that?

Westpit

Post by Westpit » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:59 pm

It has a Line Out (Front)/Speaker Out(1) & a Line Out (Rear)(2). I haven't seen anything on compatibilitie issues with either of my soundcards on the web. Asio4All see both soundcards, but ableton only see's 1&2 for outputs.