64 bit Native Support - Ableton Unable To?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
enomusic

64 bit Native Support - Ableton Unable To?

Post by enomusic » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:40 pm

Hello fellow Abletonians!

Is 64 bit Native Support ever going to happen? With the release of Live version 8.2.5 which features OSX 10.7 Lion compatibility you would expect 64 bit Native Support inside Ableton Live, as this new operating system from Apple works best with applications that support 64 bit natively. Ableton Live is ahead of the game in many aspects when compared to other DAWs; but unfortunately seems to continue to fail to deliver 64 bit native support. This is a huge disadvantage for those of us who spent thousands of dollars in robust computers for audio production (Ex. MacPro) as these systems support up to 64gb of ram memory... Ableton Live is unable to utilize anything over 4gb of ram memory of the entire system memory, so if you have anything over 4gb of ram and use Ableton Live you just wasted A LOT of money on memory and hardware. Is Ableton Live unable to deliver this very essencial feature to their software? Honestly, I feel let down in a major way by Ableton with it comes to this... Common' guys!!!!! You guys are ahead of the game for the most part but seriously need to get it together and implement this very needed feature that would allow your customers to take full advantage of their very expensive hardware systems as well as improve user experience as this would improve the overall performance of your software under heavy use of plug-ins in midi & audio tracks. You very well know this... I feel like I'm preaching to the choir here...

Sincerely,

3dot...

Re: 64 bit Native Support - Ableton Unable To?

Post by 3dot... » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:27 pm

"I EXIST !!!"

sincerely...
the 'enter' key...

enomusic

Post by enomusic » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:09 pm

I'm sorry but I don't get your reply.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:30 pm

smart ass comments like that are a lot funnier when they don't have to be explained so you're gonna have to figure that one out by yourself.

and to answer your question.. how the fuck would we know that? ask ableton! they should be working on 64-bit to make use of the RAM you wasted your money on because no other program you have would utilize that extra memory addressing.. :roll: not even the OS itself. :roll: :roll:

and just so you know.. no one 32-bit program can use more than 3.xx gb of ram but if you have multiple programs running, they don't have to share the same allocated memory space. get it? for instance, on a 32-bit OS, the system and the programs you are running can only use up to 4gb ram. on a 64-bit OS, the programs can use a different 4 gb from the OS or other programs. so your OS might use the equivalent of one stick of 2gb, while Live might use 3-4 gb, and some other software might be using another 1-2 gb, so that's potentially 8 gb of use right there.

so just because Live can't at the moment use more than 4gb, doesn't mean your system was a complete waste of money.

enomusic

Post by enomusic » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:02 pm

You're quite a polite little fella! This is posted here for two reasons...

1. To get some feedback from users regarding this issue.
2. For Ableton moderators to read the thread and perhaps give us a straight answer on it because quite frankly? It just doesn't make sense for Live not to offer native 64 bit support at this stage in the game.

Good day Sir! :mrgreen:

toph

Post by toph » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:40 pm

1. What should one say? "Yes, it would be nice to have a 64bit version, but there isn't one yet"? You can't say much more than that at the moment as there is no 64bit version.
2. I think Ableton learned from their "Share"-dilemma and they won't give you any hope for something that's not finished. Be sure 64bit support will be one of Live 9s features, but as nobody outside Ableton headquarters knows how long it will take until 9 is announced and released, you will have to wait and work with what you've got or to change your daw.

Btw personally I never had any problems with RAM also when using many samples and audio-files. And so 64bit support would be welcome but isn't my no.1 wish for Live 9.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:22 pm

toph wrote: ...64bit support would be welcome but isn't my no.1 wish for Live 9.

agreed

remute99

Post by remute99 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:31 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:
toph wrote: ...64bit support would be welcome but isn't my no.1 wish for Live 9.

agreed

RAM usage is my number 1 problem with Live, always has been. Spectrasonics and NI's have made it easier with their servers but it's about frelling time Ableton sorted it out so more than 3g can be used.
Mac Pro
Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2 x 2.8 GHz
10 GB RAM
OSX 10.5.6

toph

Post by toph » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:37 pm

remute99 wrote:RAM usage is my number 1 problem with Live, always has been. Spectrasonics and NI's have made it easier with their servers but it's about frelling time Ableton sorted it out so more than 3g can be used.
Hi, that's way I stated the above as my subjective view. Normally I don't use tons of Kontakt-instruments or other sample based plugins, so I haven't ever had such problems.

And as said before: I think, we all can be sure that 64bit support will come with the next major update. And that may be the main reason, why there wasn't an announcement for a relative long time. But good things come to those who can wait ;). Btw that's one reason why I don't understand all the complaining about no new version for 2 1/2 years.

In my opinion it would be a good move from Ableton to give the user base some more information than nothing about ongoing development. But at least that's their decision and it's better to work things out as announcing and not delivering anyway.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:52 pm

toph wrote:And as said before: I think, we all can be sure that 64bit support will come with the next major update. And that may be the main reason, why there wasn't an announcement for a relative long time. But good things come to those who can wait ;). Btw that's one reason why I don't understand all the complaining about no new version for 2 1/2 years.
i think it's great. i've saved at least 500 bucks because of it.... Live would be on version 10 now if they hadn't have slowed down... but, they needed to slow down IMO.

64 bit will come. it's inevitable. not much more than 3 years ago if you could get it, you could hardly afford it between the OS itself and the software issues, now all these cats "have to have" it. it took CDs what, 10 years to knock cassettes out of style? it'll happen, but no amount of threats or belittlement is going to speed it up at this point.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:28 pm

enomusic wrote:You're quite a polite little fella! ...
Good day Sir! :mrgreen:

who are you? Willy Fucking Wonka?

listen, pal! this topic has been posted almost as much as the request for session view automation recording bla bla bla. i'm pretty certain they are working on the 64-bit thing and may be working on the automation thing too considering how long it's been since a major update. either way, the users on the forum probably don't care that you think Ableton is so far behind the times. the moderators are also aware of the situation but considering this is probably the most loosely moderated forum in the industry, they aren't paying too much to topics that have been brought up 100 times before. there's nothing new that can be passed on to developers here.

in fact, there's nothing to see here... move along!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:30 pm

McQ714 wrote:who are you? Willy Fucking Wonka?
:lol:
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:43 pm

According to another credible thread... 8 to 10 months out! 8O
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

evangelink

Post by evangelink » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:19 pm

McQ714 wrote:who are you? Willy Fucking Wonka?
Genuinely made me LOL at work. :)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:33 pm

They are notoriously tight lipped about future developments I think the only way you can get information about upcoming features from an Ableton person is to seduce them in a bar. I believe other forum members have used this method.