Glambient - which VSTs to use?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pepezabala

Glambient - which VSTs to use?

Post by pepezabala » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:14 pm

There has been a lot of talk about Glambient lately. Which VSTs would be most appropriate for the full Glambient-sound? Should I rather use Logic or Live? Which mastering plug-ins do you use for Glambient? Which sample libraries have the best Glambient-loops?

Only pro-tipps, please!

spacecat

Re: Glambient - which VSTs to use?

Post by spacecat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:35 pm

glambient eh? kinda like the sound of that... whats the difference between glambient and lounge? :P
vsts: i think most will do
sequencer: use what you are comfy with
Mastering: the same plugs you use for any other mastering job
sample libraries: hmmm...good question ;)

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:47 pm

1. it is very important to use a sequencer that does not have tempo
2. always use real plate reverb, no plug-ins. if you can't afford a real one msg me I'll tell you how to build one with an old aquarium and duct tape.
3. Best loops sampled from Gary Glitter through a real plate reverb in a software host that doesn't allow tempo in the sound.
4. izotope stutter edit

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:59 pm

:D Glambient! yeah i was in this loungey club and heard some of that recently. chicks were digging it the most. i thought i could hear some vintage warmer in there.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:19 am

for glambient? Oh, that's easy. Just use the Bowieverb on every track.

taoyoyo

Post by taoyoyo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:26 am

Don't forget to use T-Rex plugins either.
http://taoyoyo.com

Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro | 10.8.4 | RME Babyface

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:08 am

TBH I'm a bit sick of people jumping on the glambient bandwagon.
6 months ago everyone was calling it "yet more hipster shit", now everyone claims to have been in on the ground floor and it's all gritty and urban cool somehow.
The same thing happened with dubstep, now it's happening again with Glambient. The last thing we need in this scene is a load of clueless hacks and journos trying to buy their way into something they barely understand.

We've managed to keep it off the internet for this long. please can't we keep it quiet a bit longer?

taoyoyo

Post by taoyoyo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:46 am

I was completely unaware of the existence of 'Glambient' until this thread, is it like electrogush or jizzbilly at all?
http://taoyoyo.com

Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro | 10.8.4 | RME Babyface

razorblade

Post by razorblade » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:12 am

pepezabala wrote:There has been a lot of talk about Glambient lately. Which VSTs would be most appropriate for the full Glambient-sound? Should I rather use Logic or Live? Which mastering plug-ins do you use for Glambient? Which sample libraries have the best Glambient-loops?

Only pro-tipps, please!

As the "Father of Glambient"...I tend to rely on a mix of Omnisphere, ebow guitar, and Roxy Music samples run thru Paulstretch...

More important is to be sure and glitter bedazzle your laptop, and wear platform boots.
No...I am 3phase!

trevox

Post by trevox » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:09 am

Glambient? A while ago someone posted something about "complextro". What is the world coming to!!

Anyway, never heard of it so I googled it. "I'll Come Running" by Brian Eno came up. I guess that makes sense as he liked his glittery pants and platform shoes in his Roxy Music days and wrote some of the greatest ambient music, though that tune wouldn't be his most ambient - particularly on that album.

Then someone had linked a tune on soundcloud which did not sound like an ambient king wearing glittery pants and platform shoes, so I am a little confused as to what it actually is.

In any case, you can write any style of music with whatever software you choose if you know what you want. The same software can be used in different ways to produce different music - that is up to the person writing the music. I don't get the impression you really know what you want to do yet. I would make sure you get that down first before spending any money on expensive software. Maybe play around with some demo software first.

I use both Live and Logic. Live for tracks with a lot of clips/loops I can change quickly and perform with - really good workflow for creating music quickly; Logic for multi-track recording and structuring tracks to record. Both Live and Logic have mastering tools built in. personally I prefer Logic's built in dynamics but it is all a matter of taste. I know a lot of people on here really like Live's versions.

packetsniffer

Post by packetsniffer » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:31 am

you should NEVER use VSTs to make Glambient. AUs only.

christ - what a bunch of amateurs.

piZMo

Post by piZMo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:50 am

Waves Glitterverb, Bootsy Delay, sEQuin EQ, Gold Gate, Platform compressor, Velvet Exciter and MakeUP Limiter FTW IMO.

razorblade

Post by razorblade » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:57 pm

Anyway, never heard of it so I googled it.
I guess it's time to set up a Wiki for it...although I prefer it to stay completely underground, so the kids don't latch on and turn it into some sort of Bieberstep monster.
No...I am 3phase!

razorblade

Post by razorblade » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:04 pm

For all you juvenile delinquent wrecks, remember - Who needs TV when you've got T-racks?

Yep...I'm a dude now...
No...I am 3phase!

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:45 pm

It doesn't really matter what you use as long as you wear a glittery spandex jump suit, massive platform soled boots, ludicrous sun glasses and a mirrored top hat.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)