is it possible to warp a song from major key to minor?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Khazul

Re: is it possible to warp a song from major key to minor?

Post by Khazul » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:13 pm

Angstrom wrote:Perhaps just go to its relative minor and thunder away on that as a root.
EG: C major ? Nah, can't you hear my pounding insistent A bass? This is Aminor we are listening to!

It may work, depending on the song.
If the song is complex then it will be unworkable hell, but a lot of modern stuff sits solidly on a limited chord structure. Who knows, it might work.
LOL - the electro house stylee remix method - add as many overtone oscilators to the fat ass synth patch as possible such that the original key does mater any more and in fact there is no key any more. Sounds odd at first, but I guess people get used to it and stop noticed that it clashes horribly. Of course most wasted punters in a club probably never notice anyway.
Nothing to see here - move along!

9V

Post by 9V » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:27 pm

Khazul wrote:
Angstrom wrote:Perhaps just go to its relative minor and thunder away on that as a root.
EG: C major ? Nah, can't you hear my pounding insistent A bass? This is Aminor we are listening to!

It may work, depending on the song.
If the song is complex then it will be unworkable hell, but a lot of modern stuff sits solidly on a limited chord structure. Who knows, it might work.
LOL - the electro house stylee remix method - add as many overtone oscilators to the fat ass synth patch as possible such that the original key does mater any more and in fact there is no key any more. Sounds odd at first, but I guess people get used to it and stop noticed that it clashes horribly. Of course most wasted punters in a club probably never notice anyway.
but that is not music, that is sound. Infact you call it "remix".

djpad

Post by djpad » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:06 pm

That's a so much funny "debate" (if I can call it like this), it change from the old Mac vs. PC
But keep talking I don't want to disturb you

Davo

Post by Davo » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:35 pm

It's not really a debate. It is one person who is stuck in a mental rut who has his own definition of music that doesn't correspond with anyone else's and who just keeps repeating the same thing. A number of other people have tried to engage in rational debate but all have given up in the end because all arguments are responded to with the same old mantra "audio is not music". I always judge ideas by their usefulness rather than their truth (because in the end truth is not knowable). I see no value in 9Vs idea and I can see that he is impervious to reason about it.

9V

Post by 9V » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:31 pm

it is a musical debate, not a mental rut, and "anyone else" are 5-6 people: one because he thinks i am musically conservative, one because he thinks i did not read one of his music books, the other 3-4 because they think i am just a nerd, trolling or something. The others know well what i mean when i say "audio is not music". This forum section, for instance, is called "Music AND Audio production" (not "music and music"). Why "AND"?... Because music and audio are two different things. The ones who say "it is the same thing" are 5-6 people, and IMO don't even know what they are talking about. The only one among them who knows music theory (the user "stringtapper") does not dare to explain me WHY, for instance, with audio material you cannot warp a song from major to minor key, or change its tempo... and why, above all, 99,9% of music on planet earth (electro house included) is still made with old 1500 tonal rules. And he cannot name me what the heck is that 0,01% of "audio is music" music... (if it exists... :roll: ). I am still waiting....