Something for the Ableton development team to think about.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jarvisimon

Something for the Ableton development team to think about.

Post by Jarvisimon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:17 am

Don't you just hate it when some new technology comes along but your favourite software company are stuck in safe old yesteryear?

It looks like this is going to be the next biggest thing http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Int ... 816-3.html - http://hothardware.com/News/Intel-Demos ... th-Amazon/ but unless the Ableton's/NI's etc of this world are actively on the case, it's going to be a development we're unable to take advantage of.

The tools are there. The hardware is on its way. Get with the future.

agent314

Re: Something for the Ableton development team to think about.

Post by agent314 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:08 am

I don't... Wha?

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:23 am

Sexy DAW?
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:04 am

wtf is it? dsp on graphics cards?

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:25 am

For me that would be useless. Maybe some pro users will benefit. Not sure.
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:55 am

Basically GPUs are very good at certain types of processing, sometimes a lot better than a standard CPU due to their design of carrying out stupid amounts of similar graphics calculations, hence the idea of using them to calculate certain application threads.

On the other hand my nVidia 320M graphics is sat here not using OpenCL so it's a moot point.

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:53 am

I am also confused? If you run Audio things on an extra CPU (whatever its called GPU oder APU), isn't this like with common DSP Systems? Whats the difference?
My English is not perfect, I know... Sorry about that.

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:47 am

This is the direction intel seem to be taking their CPU's.

They had developed an 80 core CPU which was due for release this year but have since changed its architecture and this is what they've come up with.

I can't say I understand it completely but as far as I can tell, it's the next generation chip when they go beyond the six core i9's due out soon.

The main premise of this thread is that software companies are invariably behind the latest advancements in technology. How many USB 3 soundcards are there on the market? Yet the technology has been commercially available for over a year now. Similarly with this CPU. All that power but because nobody is developing for it, we're unlikely to exploit the technology for our own ends for years after its release, yet it's chips like this that would allow us to run many instances of our favourite applications at full power, 32 bit 192khz sample rate without our machines dying in the process.

Remember, all it takes is for the leading manufacturers to bite the bullet and take that brave step into the future instead of holding everything back.

So where would you rather be? Yesterday or the future?

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:29 pm

Depends on how expensive is the future?
My English is not perfect, I know... Sorry about that.

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:30 pm

as far as I know.. handling cpu.. new stream standards.. etc
is for the os/chip developers to implement..

... Live developers..
are responsible for developing within the operating system frame..
and as I believe... there isn't a rush to develop software for any hardware..
until its considered to be either a standard.. or a software specific necessity..
and what can I say... it makes sense!

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:57 pm

3dot... wrote:as far as I know.. handling cpu.. new stream standards.. etc
Intel have already developed the tools with their "cluster studio" package http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel- cluster-toolkit/
3dot... wrote:... Live developers..
until its considered to be either a standard.. or a software specific necessity..
I don't see how that does make sense. It becomes a standard when the majority adopts it, so hardly a surprise we have to wait if users such as yourself don't believe the major manufacturers should take it on. If the applications aren't there, who is going to buy it?

How long did people wait for some decent 64 bit applications after the release of 64 bit operating systems? Too long and the wait wasn't at all necessary. It's going to be a similar situation with this. I'd love to update my computer to this new technology when it arrives and i'd also like to have my favourite applications updated to synchronise with its release but it needs a bit of extra enthusiasm from people such as yourself, else we'll be too old before anything happens.

Moody

Post by Moody » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:06 pm

Are you seriously suggesting that Ableton should be expected to keep up with developments on prototype supercomputing cluster architectures?
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:22 pm

This thread is so freaking weird.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:25 pm

Jarvisimon wrote:
3dot... wrote:as far as I know.. handling cpu.. new stream standards.. etc
Intel have already developed the tools with their "cluster studio" package http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel- cluster-toolkit/
3dot... wrote:... Live developers..
I don't see how that does make sense. It becomes a standard when the majority adopts it, so hardly a surprise we have to wait if users such as yourself don't believe the major manufacturers should take it on. If the applications aren't there, who is going to buy it?

How long did people wait for some decent 64 bit applications after the release of 64 bit operating systems? Too long and the wait wasn't at all necessary. It's going to be a similar situation with this. I'd love to update my computer to this new technology when it arrives and i'd also like to have my favourite applications updated to synchronise with its release but it needs a bit of extra enthusiasm from people such as yourself, else we'll be too old before anything happens.
yeah ..you're right..
I'm in no particular hurry..
I'd rather mind the tools available to me in the present..
rather than bitch about the future..

btw I was one of the first adopters of the AMD (single core) Athlon 64bit cpus...
...they managed to get me hyped...
it didn't catch though...the 64bit hype took about 5 more years (and 2 more computers)..to arrive (a 64bit os)
don't get hyped ..
and rather look to the excellent tools you have available to you NOW

Live shouldn't be expected to adopt/support every emerging technology from 3rd party companies...
it's too much of a mess...think about it !

that said.. I love innovation .. and if Live adapted this first..(and it worked well)..
I'd be happy of course..
I certainly wouldn't mind if Live ran on my GPU and free'd up some power..
but...I'm in no position to demand it .. I'll simply add it to the 'wishlist'
(if you have a problem with current CPUs think about getting a dedicated DSP processor (like UAD/TC)
could help you if you need more 'Power'..and between us...who doesn't?)
:wink:

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:39 pm

Moody wrote:Are you seriously suggesting that Ableton should be expected to keep up with developments on prototype supercomputing cluster architectures?
Yes, I'm suggesting that the early adoption of this GPUCPU should happen.

32 cores each with 4 part multi-threading would allow sets to run at full quality and it could happen sooner rather than later.