MBP Macbook Pro 2011 i7 2.3

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Fantismo

MBP Macbook Pro 2011 i7 2.3

Post by Fantismo » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:08 am

Hi there

I'm using ableton live and lots of processor intensive soft synths.. would i see a marked improvement with the 2.3 over the 2.2 i7 do you think?

Khazul

Re: MBP Macbook Pro 2011 i7 2.3

Post by Khazul » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:21 am

Its a little bit faster in posted perf test results - dig out the perf test thread and have a look through.
You gain a litle more than just CPU clock increase as it has a larger cache as well.

Have on here as my main production machine (replaced my 4Ghz i7 PC desktop for audio work) - very good machine.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Breaks Dude

Post by Breaks Dude » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:50 pm

Khazul wrote:Its a little bit faster in posted perf test results - dig out the perf test thread and have a look through.
You gain a litle more than just CPU clock increase as it has a larger cache as well.

Have on here as my main production machine (replaced my 4Ghz i7 PC desktop for audio work) - very good machine.
The new i7 Sandy Bridge MBPs are seriously capable machines. You might be hard pressed to find a better performer in a laptop, esp if you're crunching video.

True, though, a desktop very hard to beat. Mine is a Sandy Bridge i7 2600k 4.5ghz (OC'ed), 32 GB (OC'ed) desktop PC with an SSD and it just flies. I like the MBPs though but feel they would be a step down in perf, I know, apples and oranges...but I cannot say enough about this machine. :) Dead rock solid stable.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:04 am

Breaks Dude wrote:
Khazul wrote:Its a little bit faster in posted perf test results - dig out the perf test thread and have a look through.

The new i7 Sandy Bridge MBPs are seriously capable machines. You might be hard pressed to find a better performer in a laptop, esp if you're crunching video.

True, though, a desktop very hard to beat. Mine is a Sandy Bridge i7 2600k 4.5ghz (OC'ed), 32 GB (OC'ed) desktop PC with an SSD and it just flies. I like the MBPs though but feel they would be a step down in perf, I know, apples and oranges...but I cannot say enough about this machine. :) Dead rock solid stable.
Hi Breaks Dude. I see your Live 8 Test Performance hits 13%.
Is that on your OC'ed speeds, or have you OC'ed your machine since?
I thought with a machine as powerful as yours, you'd be getting under 10%

Nice machine 'Dude' :)

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:10 am

13% with that rig? Make no sense - should be way better - maybe audio interface not very good, or has very high channel count?

My old 4Ghz first gen i7 (6G 1600Mhz memory) desktop PC managed 12%, my 2.3GHz 2011 MBP 17 manages 14% in both windows 7/64 and OSX, but in real use with most projects that Ive opened on both seems to be about the same as the PC at much higher loads.

Original test done I think with various NI audio interfaces (2DJ, 8DJ, 10DJ and AK1) and virus TI audio, however the results I get with the RME UFX over USB are nowhere near as good, I assume due to the much higher audio channel count.

Either way - MBP17 is a very good portable production machine and I still cant quite get used to being able to stick the essential core of my studio in a backpack when a few years ago it used to be mostly hardware based and take up most of a large room and need a decent size van and help to move :)

Breaks Dude

Post by Breaks Dude » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Khazul wrote:13% with that rig? Make no sense - should be way better - maybe audio interface not very good, or has very high channel count?

My old 4Ghz first gen i7 (6G 1600Mhz memory) desktop PC managed 12%, my 2.3GHz 2011 MBP 17 manages 14% in both windows 7/64 and OSX, but in real use with most projects that Ive opened on both seems to be about the same as the PC at much higher loads.

Original test done I think with various NI audio interfaces (2DJ, 8DJ, 10DJ and AK1) and virus TI audio, however the results I get with the RME UFX over USB are nowhere near as good, I assume due to the much higher audio channel count.

Either way - MBP17 is a very good portable production machine and I still cant quite get used to being able to stick the essential core of my studio in a backpack when a few years ago it used to be mostly hardware based and take up most of a large room and need a decent size van and help to move :)
Khazul we had this discussion before in the perf test thread. That was on a non OC SB i7 2600k w 16gb. If you may recall I think my six year old M-Audio FW410 is the bottleneck. I haven't run the test since then. :)

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:46 am

Breaks Dude wrote: Khazul we had this discussion before in the perf test thread. That was on a non OC SB i7 2600k w 16gb. If you may recall I think my six year old M-Audio FW410 is the bottleneck. I haven't run the test since then. :)
Sorry Breaks Dude. It was me who asked bout your performance test on your lovely machine. :)
I'd be interested if you could post your current performance since you have O'C your pc.

Cheers

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:23 pm

Breaks Dude wrote:Khazul we had this discussion before in the perf test thread. That was on a non OC SB i7 2600k w 16gb. If you may recall I think my six year old M-Audio FW410 is the bottleneck. I haven't run the test since then. :)
Ground hog day - Better memory than me :)

Breaks Dude

Post by Breaks Dude » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:39 am

Sibanger wrote:
Breaks Dude wrote: Khazul we had this discussion before in the perf test thread. That was on a non OC SB i7 2600k w 16gb. If you may recall I think my six year old M-Audio FW410 is the bottleneck. I haven't run the test since then. :)
Sorry Breaks Dude. It was me who asked bout your performance test on your lovely machine. :)
I'd be interested if you could post your current performance since you have O'C your pc.

Cheers
Be happy to. Will run the test again when I get a few minutes, :)

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:01 am

Breaks Dude wrote:
Be happy to. Will run the test again when I get a few minutes, :)
1) Ableton Live CPU Meter %: 8%
:mrgreen: Thanks. You've got to be happy with that.