MASCHINE MIKRO!!!!!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
starving student

Re: MASCHINE MIKRO!!!!!!

Post by starving student » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:58 am

humnumb wrote:
Nav wrote:I get the impression N.I. are like Apple in that they hold back features like the automation thing so later on they can show it as a feature they added by listening to there users.
I doubt it. I think it was a design decision. Mikro only has one knob and it's a detented encoder as far as i know which is not very ideal for recording automations with unlike Maschine's knobs.
but you know they're going to do it anyway, might as well have done so already.

23kon

Post by 23kon » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:44 pm

guys with maschine.
i've posted some new questions in the "to maschine or not to maschine" thread. i'd be grateful if you could answer them :)

maschine is definitely on the cards for me now.
and i think i'm leaning more towards the flagship than the mikro purely for being able to record automation as a standalone without having to hookup through ableton just for fannying about sketching.
---

23kon

Post by 23kon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:19 pm

KNOB AUTOMATION

Some folk have said that the main knob on the Mikro CANT be used to tweak parameters or record automation.

Check out this video at 27 seconds ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaJix18rjRQ

Isnt he tweaking the sound of the hihat???

Does this mean that the knob can be used to tweak the 8 software knobs onscreen of a plugin of effect too?
---

lethal_pizzle

Post by lethal_pizzle » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:07 pm

No, he's just changing the pitch of a sample in the sample module, which you can do from the controller.

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:34 am

I will still swear by my grandpappys balls that this will come in the next update.
the only problem is that I could be totally wrong, because if they do then that would
turn maschine 1 into maschine deluxe and already there is so much interest in the mikro
they might be shooting themselves in the foot. it's obvious that from here on out imho
the next controller will be the size of the mikro with more knobs and hopefully some
faders.

the thing about the automation though that I have to keep reminding myself is that no matter what you are still connected to your computer so the soft-autowrite is never far away, that's the great thing about maschine, I don't even know how to use the software, right now I only know the hardware :D now what other controller can you say that about?????? hmmmmm?

23kon

Post by 23kon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:31 am

Starving Student,

Did you see my 4 new questions in the Maschine or not to maschine thread?
If you have time can you stop by and answer if you can or give your tuppence.
(It's not the last post in the thread now, it'll prob be 3rd/4th last with numbered questions).

Got a mate through tomoro that I make tunes with and i'm going to try to get him converted to Maschine too.
He gets lost with the complexity of ableton, especially when he's watching me whizz through stuff, and I think his mind will be more akin to the world of maschine where most of it is in the controller.
---

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:01 am

Anyone know if NI will be releasing a student edition for much less?
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:47 am

v00d00ppl wrote:Anyone know if NI will be releasing a student edition for much less?
man have you checked craigs, since the mikro came out there are tons of maschine 1 available
I've seen ads for dudes wanting to trade their mk1 for a mikro

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:10 pm

Not in Seattle

Nothing found for that search ( All words must match ).
Copyright © 2011 craigslist, inc.
RSS (?)

I have both and love it
Ableton | Elektron

Music

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:03 am

what are you not liking about the mikro, besides the autowrite function being on the waiting list.
and how do you feel about the difference in navigation between maschine 1 and the mikro?

I kind of like the mikros navigation better than maschine 1 from the videos and 20 minutes I've spent
with one in the shop, I'd have one right now if I wasn't traversing an eerie land that wants to charge
$517 for a mikro wtftftf!

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:07 am

Not having all the knobs is a little annoying. But I was just at my buddies studio jamming with the Mikro.

I can transfer this to the M1 and do what I need to. Other than missing the knobs the Mikro is cool. Navigating is fine when it's just you and the Maschine. Trying to show other people how to get around on that tiny screen kind of sucks.

If you've never had the M1 than you don't know what you're missing with the Mikro
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Destro

Post by Destro » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:38 am

Got a couple of questions for Maschine Mikro owners:

1) True or False: The bottom EIGHT pads (not just four) can be used to select the different parameters of a given effect.

2) If the above is true, what happens if the effect has more than eight parameters? Can I still use the pads to select them or do I have to resort to using the left/right buttons?

Thanks so much!

milfhuntr

Post by milfhuntr » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:52 am

Don't know why anyone would want a Maschine if they have Ableton. I mean, with a cheap drum pad you can hook it to Ableton and do a billion times what the Mashine does. It makes no sense.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:38 am

milfhuntr wrote:Don't know why anyone would want a Maschine if they have Ableton. I mean, with a cheap drum pad you can hook it to Ableton and do a billion times what the Mashine does. It makes no sense.
I think ..because it's a cool toy... that's why we're here.. we like to play with toys that go wiiiiiiiiiiooooooooowwaaaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaaaa...
don't have maschine (and many other gear I'd like..) ..for financial reasons... but if I did have the $$.. I'd get it gold plated..

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:30 am

milfhuntr wrote:Don't know why anyone would want a Maschine if they have Ableton. I mean, with a cheap drum pad you can hook it to Ableton and do a billion times what the Mashine does. It makes no sense.
You couldn't be more wrong. It's because using a cheap drum pad with Live will still feel like using software and a MIDI controller.

Maschine is about integration instead of being just a controller and software. Using another software with a generic MIDI controller can't come anywhere to close to Maschine as it will lack anything close to true integration like Maschine which allows you to be mouse-free and even lets you turn off the computer screen if you want to. The close integration between Maschine's hardware controller and its software allows it to have the hands-on workflow previously only found on standalone hardware that you just can't get with simple midi controllers.

Part of the beauty and workflow feel of Maschine is the disconnected feel it allows for. It gives you that focused feel by allowing to work so well from a centralized point with minimal deviation. That by itself is huge. A dumb MIDI controller will still force you to click around with the mouse/trackpad quite a bit. The actual experience of using them is like night and day and this alone makes all the difference for those who know and value the fun and efficient hardware-style hands-on workflow.

There's actually a long list of what Maschine offers that you can't really do in Live. You can't record real-time modulation (as in record your knob tweaks) in Live's Session View clips. Maschine has its own version of session view with scenes and clips with the huge advantage of being able to record modulation of almost everything as you turn the knobs in real-time.

Also, you can't do any of the following with Live only while looking at a controller no matter what controller you use: browsing/loading samples, navigating, sampling, slicing, zooming in and out of waveforms, applying dsp audio edits, opening/saving projects...etc. Maschine can do all of that just from the dedicated controller because of the way it's designed. Maschine has two LCD displays on the hardware itself that shows the names for the controls and things like actual waveforms, so you don't have to look at the computer screen at all if you don't want to. Even with something like the APC40, you're not going to get the level of visual feedback that you get on Maschine's dual displays showing device/parameter names and values anywhere else. This is also why Maschine excels as a general purpose MIDI controller due to the ability to customize the names of parameters and see what you're controlling directly on the hardware's displays. These little things do add up to a very unique experience that can feel like you're using hardware.

Maschine just goes way further in terms of the software/hardware relationship. For example, the 'undo' function. In Live, this is a keyboard shortcut. In Maschine it's on the hardware (via a 'shift + pad' combo) Now, you COULD map the 'undo' keyboard command to a MIDI controller in Live, but you'd need Bomes or some other layer of additional software to achieve it. And this is just the undo function: there are more complex operations available from the Maschine hardware that is just not possible in Live right now, although touchAble on iPad gets the closest in terms of total mouseless control of Live.

Live also doesn't have Maschine's tactile hardware x0x step sequencer with full visual feedback through backlit pads and dual displays, and its own version of Machinedrum-style step parameter locks. Irreplaceable for experimenting and coming up with stuff you would have never come up with otherwise.

Also Maschine lets you loop single or multiple scenes easily (and entirely from the dedicated hardware of course) which is like if Live could do Follow Action for scenes not just clips.

And Maschine's plugin automapping implementation effectively turns any VST/AU plugin instantly into hardware and is much more elegantly implemented and useful than what any MIDI controller is capable of. And if you have anything from Komplete 8 (Maschine comes with Komplete Elements for free), the integration is even closer.