MASCHINE MIKRO!!!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
taffmonster

Re: MASCHINE MIKRO!!!!!!

Post by taffmonster » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:47 am

I bought the Mikro about 2 weeks ago. I have used it everyday. Being able to us both live and maschine has opened so many doors. They integrate amazingly well, as humnumb said. Also having realized I can output different parts to different midi or audio tracks in ableton has given me an amazing range of things I can do. I think they make a formidable coupling.

as a VST in live its a powerhouse!

Destro

Post by Destro » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:04 am

Hey taff, I'm thinking of getting the Mikro and would really appreciate it if you could answer a couple of questions:

1) True or False: The bottom EIGHT pads (not just the bottom four) can be used to select the different parameters of a given effect.

2) If the above is true, what happens if the effect has more than eight parameters? Can I still use the pads to select them or do I have to use the left/right buttons?

Thanks so much!

taffmonster

Post by taffmonster » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:30 am

1) True or False: The bottom EIGHT pads (not just the bottom four) can be used to select the different parameters of a given effect.

2) If the above is true, what happens if the effect has more than eight parameters? Can I still use the pads to select them or do I have to use the left/right buttons?
No idea, but I will have a play and see if I can't find out.

taffmonster

Post by taffmonster » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:41 am

Oh also do you mean an effect in maschine or an effecting ableton

Destro

Post by Destro » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:53 pm

taffmonster wrote:Oh also do you mean an effect in maschine or an effecting ableton
An effect in maschine. Thanks!

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:05 pm

After owning both Maschines for a little over 6 to 7 months here are my thoughts on Maschine. For context, I was comparing Maschine to Geist. BTW - I love Geist
djadonis206 wrote:Having a dedicated controller is nice. With that said, it's nice to have everything right in front of you, one mouse click away. With the mouse, it's just faster to get to stuff, but that's a different work flow right?

I'm feeling Geist right now. Every time I sit down to give Maschine another try I'm instantly uninspired. It usually starts with finding samples in the browser. I've set up favorites, but the whole folder tree kills me. I prefer the folder structure Geist and Ableton use for accessing samples.

...and the fact that you can't turn off a group the way you can in Geist kind of sucks. This wouldn't be a problem if midi clips that were dragged and dropped contained the automation, but they don't. With Geist, they do.

And slicing samples in Maschine is kind of janky. Why do I have to choose a new group for the slices (if I want the slices on individual pads)? Geist is similar in this respect, but the slicing is done from the browser, not a random pad.

I'm hanging in there until Maschine version 2 but seriously. Once I got over the whole "not touching the mouse thing" Maschine started to loose it's magic.
And here's a post I made in the Other DAWS thread
djadonis206 wrote:Logic and Geist. I've spent way too much money to realize that's what's up
I went on to say...
djadonis206 wrote:I wouldn't say I'm done per se. I've just found Geist and Logic to be the fastest to work with. And Geist and Logic can do things that Maschine and Live can't.

For example, I can create a huge elaborate drum sequence, automation and all, in Geist.

Then drag that sequence into Logic. I should note here, all the automation comes with the sequence when copied over from Geist. Maschine does not do this, only velocity is copied over.

Then, I use the split by note pitch command in Logic and now my sequence is broken up into individual parts. Live cannot do this.

Key command L and then marque tool to cut out the parts I don't want, bam, half the arrangement is done. Love it.

BTW - in my experience, Geist just sounds better than Maschine. This is my personal opinion, not subject for debate.

I also find Logic's horizontal arrange view so much easier to work with than Live's. Recording a midi keyboard part in Live's arrange window is a pain the ass, from my experience.

Moreover, the key commands in Logic are awesome. Once you get them down, it's off to the races.

I still love Live, but as far as making music right now, Geist and Logic are were it's at for me.
I'm not ashamed to say I fanboyed pretty hard when I got my hands on Maschine. But over time I realized I was still using my mouse quite a bit. In fact, using the mouse made things a lot easier. Then I stumbled onto Geist and well, I'm waiting to see what Maschine 2.0 is about before I sell the Maschine.

The former director of the Washington State Department of Transportation came and talked to my land use and transportation class a few weeks ago and he made a point that stuck. He said, "you know, today, people are clamoring for more trains and street cars. It doesn't make sense, we got rid of street cars in the 1920's for a reason."

There's a reason we use the mouse. It's faster and more convenient to use that some external piece of hardware. But with that said, using a mouse is definitely not as fun as much fun as using Maschine, that's for sure and unbeatable.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:02 am

what!