MASCHINE MIKRO!!!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lethal_pizzle

Re: MASCHINE MIKRO!!!!!!

Post by lethal_pizzle » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:17 pm

23kon wrote:
lethal_pizzle wrote:Can you confirm the second part of the answer above?
I'm puzzled!
So are you saying that parameters within VSTs/Effects cant be assigned to external controllers to be tweaked on the fly for playing live? or can be assigned but can't be recorded (in Maschine software)?

And to be able to record automation i'd have to take the 16 channels into Ableton Live and record the automation in these channels by assigning an external controller and tweaking?
Disclaimer; I own Big Maschine. I do not own Mikro Maschine. My understanding is that [a] you'd be fine assigning controllers to macro knobs for live tweaking (one controller per macro knob, 8 macro knobs per group), but your live tweaking cannot be recorded in the Maschine software via the Mikro controller.

So yes, you'd have to have 8 midi channels in Live routing midi into Maschine. Then you could record the automation into a clip in Live.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:18 pm

You can jam away and record your automation in the big maschine, not the little maschine.

Also note, automation is by the pattern, not track. What this means is you can't record a filter over several patterns in one take. There is a feature request about this.

There are work arounds. Part of me likes finding work arounds. It proves even though this is some highly advanced technology, you still have to get creative to do what you think you want to do.

To do a filter sweep over several patterns you have to set the second pattern to an open or partially open filter in one automation lane. And record the opening and closing of your filter in the first and last patterns.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

23kon

Post by 23kon » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:39 pm

Cheers guys.

I guess that wouldn't be a problem only being able to jam with assigned knobs on external controller in maschine.
Then when I want to record a full song with automation from a jam i'd have to route into Ableton.

The only frustration would be if I wanted to have a loop/pattern in maschine while jamming that for example a parameter like cutoff or something was sweeped/building through the loop.
I take it that this can be 'drawn' in the software though with the mouse?
Is this the case?
If so then it's not a problem as sometimes this is the kind of thing i'd do in ableton clips anyway to get a sweep with the least 'points'.
---

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:48 pm

23kon wrote:I take it that this can be 'drawn' in the software though with the mouse?
Is this the case?
If so then it's not a problem as sometimes this is the kind of thing i'd do in ableton clips anyway to get a sweep with the least 'points'.
Yes. You can turn on "Paint mode" to draw in automation.

23kon

Post by 23kon » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:18 pm

delicioso wrote:
23kon wrote:I take it that this can be 'drawn' in the software though with the mouse?
Is this the case?
Yes. You can turn on "Paint mode" to draw in automation.
In that case then theres nothing about the Mikro that would put me off :)
In general though it seems mad that Maschine software wont let you record automation from an external controller. It would be awesome if they introduced that in an update.
---

23kon

Post by 23kon » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:38 pm

Another little question.
How many VSTs can you assign into one pad?
e.g say I was to assign an instrument VST like Vanguard to a pad, can I then add Replicant VST to add glitch to Vanguard?
---

23kon

Post by 23kon » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:44 pm

Anyone subscribe to maschinetutorials.com?

If the videos they post onto youtube are anything to go by, I don't see why anyone would sign up and pay.
The videos are terrible! They make you seasick to watch, completely ad-libbed and done as-is and keeps on repeating themself through the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeOMcbqIDg0
---

lethal_pizzle

Post by lethal_pizzle » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:49 pm

@23kon... You can have 4 VST (or internal Maschine effects) on a pad.

Only the first slot on a pad can be your VST instrument (or sample). This means no MIDI VSTs like arpeggiators, scales or chord generators at this time. The last 3 slots can be FX.

You can route the audio output of a pad to another pad, so you can chain many more VST's that way. You also have 2 auxilliary sends per pad (they route to other pads).

Additionally, you have 4 VST slots on each group with 2 auxilliary sends.

And 4 VST slots on master.

23kon

Post by 23kon » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:55 pm

lethal_pizzle wrote:@23kon... You can have 4 VST (or internal Maschine effects) on a pad.

Only the first slot on a pad can be your VST instrument (or sample). This means no MIDI VSTs like arpeggiators, scales or chord generators at this time. The last 3 slots can be FX.

You can route the audio output of a pad to another pad, so you can chain many more VST's that way. You also have 2 auxilliary sends per pad (they route to other pads).

Additionally, you have 4 VST slots on each group with 2 auxilliary sends.

And 4 VST slots on master.
excellent, thanks for your info.
---

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:35 am

23kon wrote: I don't mind clicking the mouse as part of my 'workflow' so it's no problem.
I could be wrong...but wasn't this the whole "selling point" of maschine? Getting away from the mouse because everything is so incredibly "intuitive" and all in the main unit? If you buy a stripped down version with even less automation...whats the point in buying it if you are already using a product that has similar features and "some" mouse necessity?

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:59 am

23kon wrote:Anyone subscribe to maschinetutorials.com?

If the videos they post onto youtube are anything to go by, I don't see why anyone would sign up and pay.
The videos are terrible! They make you seasick to watch, completely ad-libbed and done as-is and keeps on repeating themself through the video.
Actually, I do - and I find it to be an excellent resource AND community.

Fair play, their video production may not win any awards, but the information is definately there - and the guys on the site are very quick to answer any questions you may have. They are very pro-active in that area - my hat goes off to them, I don't know how they do it.

I was skeptical about paying for a site, too - but I have got many, many times that value back in information and learning. Give it a shot, its only 10bucks, and you can opt out at any time.

They also have free samples and maschine groups each month, if that sweetens the deal for you.

(no, I don't have anything to do with the site, apart from being a member)

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:11 am

skatr2 wrote:
23kon wrote: I don't mind clicking the mouse as part of my 'workflow' so it's no problem.
I could be wrong...but wasn't this the whole "selling point" of maschine? Getting away from the mouse because everything is so incredibly "intuitive" and all in the main unit? If you buy a stripped down version with even less automation...whats the point in buying it if you are already using a product that has similar features and "some" mouse necessity?

that's the great thing about maschine, it goes much further than that, from the omissions that have been posted about the mikro, it's still better integrated than anything else out there, as a matter of fact it's a good point to bring up to show just how much maschine 1 is integrated. now maschine mikro is the 2nd most integrated controller software combo, it's even still more integrated than spark. on top of that , they will for sure do something about hooking up the autowrite to the mikro controller, ni is funny like that ..... i have no idea why, it's obvious that the guy in the room who suggested that they don't hook the autowrite up is going to get his pay docked. :lol:

Nav

Post by Nav » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:19 am

I get the impression N.I. are like Apple in that they hold back features like the automation thing so later on they can show it as a feature they added by listening to there users. Maybe they didn't want to dilute Maschine sales too much, but wanted a way that people could get onboard and therefore buy the expansions.

Is this N.I.s App Store/iPod?

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:13 am

Nav wrote:I get the impression N.I. are like Apple in that they hold back features like the automation thing so later on they can show it as a feature they added by listening to there users. Maybe they didn't want to dilute Maschine sales too much, but wanted a way that people could get onboard and therefore buy the expansions.

Is this N.I.s App Store/iPod?
I don't doubt it, the first version of maschines software was like the poster child for wtf.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:16 pm

Nav wrote:I get the impression N.I. are like Apple in that they hold back features like the automation thing so later on they can show it as a feature they added by listening to there users.
I doubt it. I think it was a design decision. Mikro only has one knob and it's a detented encoder as far as i know which is not very ideal for recording automations with unlike Maschine's knobs.