komplete 7 is draining my mac book pro

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jlgrimes

Re: komplete 7 is draining my mac book pro

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:34 am

flincmusic wrote:Does anybody using the NI plugins from the Komplete collection, experience heavy cpu usage?

I can sometimes run only two or three NI plugins before I have to start bouncing. Obviously I have other audio stuff running also,
but I can see that it is the NI Plugins that drains the cpu most.

Its a really annoying problem having to bounce all the time. :(
It depends.

How new is your laptop? Specs?

What NI synths in particular? Some are very efficient. The newer stuff usually will use extra CPU. Monark for instance was modeled to sound exactly like a Moog. That will no doubt use a lot of cycles.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:38 am

flincmusic wrote:
Jack McOck wrote:I haven't fully tested my end 2012 MBPR yet, but I can get a good 20-30 Predators running together without pushing 50%. I can also program a single patch that'll hit 80%. All depends on what you're doing. I seem to recall Massive defaults with all osc and filters turned on. Try turning them off.
Wow thats a lot of predators. Its actually not only Massive, but all the Komplete instruments that makes problems with cpu. Reaktor and Kompakt f. ex. are very hungry also. I will try your suggestion. Thanks :-)

But I also have a feeling that switching to Live 9 64 bit could help on this because of my 8 gigs of ram.
Predator is an older VST so it will probably be more efficient. The downside of upgrading synths can sometimes mean higher CPU as synths use more Modelling, oversampling, RAM.

Jack McOck

Post by Jack McOck » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:42 am

jlgrimes wrote:
flincmusic wrote:
Jack McOck wrote:I haven't fully tested my end 2012 MBPR yet, but I can get a good 20-30 Predators running together without pushing 50%. I can also program a single patch that'll hit 80%. All depends on what you're doing. I seem to recall Massive defaults with all osc and filters turned on. Try turning them off.
Wow thats a lot of predators. Its actually not only Massive, but all the Komplete instruments that makes problems with cpu. Reaktor and Kompakt f. ex. are very hungry also. I will try your suggestion. Thanks :-)

But I also have a feeling that switching to Live 9 64 bit could help on this because of my 8 gigs of ram.
Predator is an older VST so it will probably be more efficient. The downside of upgrading synths can sometimes mean higher CPU as synths use more Modelling, oversampling, RAM.
I'm sorry, is Predator's 32x oversampling plus redesigned-as-of-2013 oscillators too vintage for you?

:x
Last edited by Jack McOck on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:01 pm

Predator is not older than synths in Komplete, it is newer.
Professional Shark Jumper.

JayNiko

Post by JayNiko » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:41 am

I use mac book pro as well (2011) and NI's Reaktor and Kontakt (players) along with Ableton's synths, so it's pretty stable if I run, say, 4 instances of reaktor's synths, 4 kontakt's and 4-6 ableton's (drum racks and synths). Not to mention numerous effect (including 3d party) plugins.