Should I upgrade to Live 8?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ttaralli
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:19 pm
Location: New York City

Should I upgrade to Live 8?

Post by ttaralli » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:48 pm

I've been using Live 7 for the past few years and have been very happy with it. But I've really been wanting some of the features in Live 8 and I would love to start using touchable on my iPad :) so I was thinking of making the jump. But is Live 9 just around the corner? If people seem to think we will see Live 9 at the top of the year then I probably won't upgrade. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm sure at this point it's all speculation, I was just curious what your thoughts are on this move.

Thanks

simpleton
Posts: 913
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Location: Location:

Re: Should I upgrade to Live 8?

Post by simpleton » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:11 pm

ttaralli wrote:I've been using Live 7 for the past few years and have been very happy with it. But I've really been wanting some of the features in Live 8 and I would love to start using touchable on my iPad :) so I was thinking of making the jump. But is Live 9 just around the corner? If people seem to think we will see Live 9 at the top of the year then I probably won't upgrade. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm sure at this point it's all speculation, I was just curious what your thoughts are on this move.
No. It is 8 to 10 months out. So go ahead and upgrade to Live 8. TouchAble is amazing.
Image
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

headquest
Posts: 1191
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:32 am
Location: UK

Re: Should I upgrade to Live 8?

Post by headquest » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:20 pm

U upgraded from 7 to 8 quite recently, and not looked back. Live 8 is great, and worth every penny :)

We don't know when Live 9 will be. Could be next month, could be next year. But I certainly recommend Live 8 at this point.
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

mbird21
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:36 am
Location: Sunderland - UK

Re: Should I upgrade to Live 8?

Post by mbird21 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:26 pm

+1 best thing i ever did! though i werent Live user before 8 i was stuck to Cubase, would not go back now, do anything at all with this thing. 8)
Alex!

Hermanus
Posts: 1657
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:47 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Should I upgrade to Live 8?

Post by Hermanus » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:24 pm

I remember when I purchased 8, it was not enough stable to run gigs with relieved mind [crashes in the middle of a performance simply sucks!]

Several months later... I cant play on stage without 8, much more stable now.

Repitch mode for the delays is quite juicy [custom rack for scratch effects in no time]
Multiband dynamics is quite a good one too.

and more

H20nly
Posts: 15850
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Should I upgrade to Live 8?

Post by H20nly » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:46 pm

ttaralli wrote:I've been using Live 7 for the past few years and have been very happy with it.
that makes the choice hard. if you upgrade to 8 and 9 comes out 2 months later you may end up as one of the disgruntled posters who thinks Ableton wronged you. i have no idea when 9 will come out but it could be worth waiting for... on the other hand 8 is stable now. 9 could be a colossal turd on your setup when it's first released.

:? i'm not helping much am i?

like hermanus said... 8 is in a good state. if you've got the cash i doubt you'll be disappointed.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

sebrov
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:52 am
Location: Edinburgh / UK

Re: Should I upgrade to Live 8?

Post by sebrov » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:05 pm

best thing about 8 is group tracks would be better if you could group groups though, also the multi-band compressor and limiter are handy.

with regards to live 9, if its not announced during BPM in october i wouldn't expect it to be out for some time.

H20nly
Posts: 15850
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Should I upgrade to Live 8?

Post by H20nly » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:13 pm

sebrov wrote:best thing about 8 is group tracks would be better if you could group groups though
if you combine groups and routing to sends you can just not in the most obvious way.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

sebrov
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:52 am
Location: Edinburgh / UK

Re: Should I upgrade to Live 8?

Post by sebrov » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:18 pm

H20nly wrote:if you combine groups and routing to sends you can just not in the most obvious way.
good thinking there will need to do this in the future, thanks.

ttaralli
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:19 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Should I upgrade to Live 8?

Post by ttaralli » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:05 pm

Thanks for all information! I think I'll buy the upgrade; even if it get's announced in October it probably won't be available for purchase for a few months and I learned my lesson years ago about buying first versions of updated software. So, If I grab it now, I'll probably have it for at least six months.


Thanks for making the decision easier for me and it's good to hear that Live 8 is finally stable. That's what originally kept me away from the upgrade.

pencilrocket
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Should I upgrade to Live 8?

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:31 am

Live hasn't been fixed perfectly. If fixed they will officialy state that they have finished fixing bugs that they already stated. But it hasn't. Wait till 9 released with bunch of bug fixes.

dazzer
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:24 am

Re: Should I upgrade to Live 8?

Post by dazzer » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:26 am

Try the demo of 8.

I was on 7 up until the last upgrade special offer a few months ago. Tried the demo of 8, it worked great so I upgraded. Simple really.

@pencilrocket: when have Ableton ever made an announcement that a version is 'fixed'?

pencilrocket
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Should I upgrade to Live 8?

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:20 am

dazzer wrote:Try the demo of 8.

I was on 7 up until the last upgrade special offer a few months ago. Tried the demo of 8, it worked great so I upgraded. Simple really.

@pencilrocket: when have Ableton ever made an announcement that a version is 'fixed'?
I think so because they clearly promised they'll do bug fixes as fisrt prority rather than other new feature implementation.

headquest
Posts: 1191
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:32 am
Location: UK

Re: Should I upgrade to Live 8?

Post by headquest » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:51 am

That was a long time ago now, and I think it's safe to say that with Live 8 working super well and the vast majority of old issues resolved they will have moved on to Live 9 development by now (which of course they had previously already been working on for several months anyway when they pulled development last year).

Also we've seen a rapid set of recent updates to get L8 working on OSX Lion for example (many other music softwares haven't yet caught up with this) so they are clearly dealing with current issues now, not old stuff.
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

pencilrocket
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Should I upgrade to Live 8?

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:27 pm

Then you mean you are well experienced with each OS environment and tested each famous plugin , so you encourage others to buy current ver?

Post Reply