midi newb -- b3 and handclaps (for example)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yaddablah

midi newb -- b3 and handclaps (for example)

Post by yaddablah » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:11 am

So, as the title says, I'm a midi newb. Would like to add some good handclaps --I guess I could record my own, eh? But a B3 wouldn't be as easy. I posted that question on "answers" a couple of months ago and got suggestion, but frankly, I'm not sure what exactly to do with it.

If I want to obtain an instrument sound, what do I have to do, buy an entirely new software kit? Or are the libraries, or even individual instrument kits for midi?

Thx in advance.

m.o

Re: midi newb -- b3 and handclaps (for example)

Post by m.o » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:56 pm

I think you are a bit confused about the terms you're talking about.

MIDI is simply a 'command language'/protocoll (like 'play piano sound x at y note pitch), originally used to send commands between hardare synths etc, it does not carry contain any audio by itself.
It gets a bit confusing for many when VSTs/plugins/instruments come into the picture, these are commanded/controlled by MIDI, but via a 'virtual' cable instead of a physical cable running out to a synth.

Now for the second part, you need a 'clap' sound.
Simplest case is you'll find a good sample of a clap, and load into the Ableton drum rack or Sampler/Simpler instruments.

There are lots of drum sample resources on the net, or you could copy/paste a clap from some mp3 song you find.
First google result for example points to: http://rekkerd.org/90-free-clap-samples-by-funkybot/

yaddablah

Post by yaddablah » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:45 am

m.o wrote:I think you are a bit confused about the terms you're talking about.
Thank, but still confused. I have a keygizmo that plugs into my laptop with a USB. I'm given to believe this is a midi controller.

Now, within Ableton, I can make this thing sound like a nice accoustic piano. Isn't that a "midi piano?" Well, that's how I think of it.

Now I want it to sound like a Hammond B-3. I don't see one of those in Ableton, so I need to either modify something within Ableton to make that sound or to go get one somewhere. But what am I trying to get? The only term I can think of is a "midi B3." Is there some other name? It's apparenly a piece of software I need, that interprets the signal from the midi device and makes it sound like a B3, right?

The handclap I can do with my iPhone. The B3 I cannot.

Thx.

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:03 am

You could try the 'Master Hammond B3 VST', was free last time I looked.

(Check out using third party vst plug-ins in the manual. Lots of great free ones online!)

If you've cash of course there's the brilliant Native Instruments B4 Vst for about 70 quid. (and another one I can think of called 'Scarbee' or something like that?!)