fx on only part of spectrum

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nylarch

fx on only part of spectrum

Post by nylarch » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:14 am

One thing I miss from Logic is the Stereo Spreader. I love how its set up where you can pull a slider to select what part of the spectrum you want to effect and then set the amplitude of the effect separately across the filtered range as well. What's the best approach replicating this in Live?

I tried it with the mda stereo effect on a send and an EQ 8 in front of it to filter out the spectrum but that's giving me a boost in the dry signal as well I think (i.e. it boost the dry signal instead of just effecting it). I don't think the Logic version does this. Is there a way to tweak out an fx rack with dry and wet chains and utility plugs reversing phase so I just get effect over a certain range and not boost the dry signal? Or am I mistaken on how the Logic plug works....

Hope I'm explaining that clearly - thanks for your help.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

agent314

Re: fx on only part of spectrum

Post by agent314 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:39 am

You could build out a three-chain rack using 3 multiband compressors with only 1 section soloed in each chain, and that way depending on how you have your settings, you could put effects on only 1 band of the compressor.