NI Transient Master

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
icedsushi

NI Transient Master

Post by icedsushi » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:34 am

Anyone bought this or using it yet? If so what do you think?

I have Stillwell Audio Transient Monster & I'm curious how this compares, however NI says there is no demo version. It's $99 so not sure I want to spring for that without being able to try it first.

JuanSOLO

Re: NI Transient Master

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:38 am

icedsushi wrote:Anyone bought this or using it yet? If so what do you think?

I have Stillwell Audio Transient Monster & I'm curious how this compares, however NI says there is no demo version. It's $99 so not sure I want to spring for that without being able to try it first.

I have been wanting to try some of their new plugs, but either NO demo, or Guitar Rig Player Demo. I own Guitar Rig so I can't figure out how to use the GR demo as a plug in Ableton to really try some things out. LAME.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:50 am

JuanSOLO wrote:I own Guitar Rig so I can't figure out how to use the GR demo as a plug in Ableton to really try some things out. LAME.
Launch the standalone of GR4. Go to the help menu in the menu bar, select start demo. Keep the standalone running, do not close it. Now launch Live and drag an instance of GR4 to a track, it should now be in demo mode as a plugin, where some of the additional devices that are not purchased yet should appear.

When you are done trying the demo and quit, next time you launch it will be back to normal mode licensed again.

This doesn't solve the issue that there is no demo of Transient Master though. They should just make all the devices available in the demo (like they do with Traktor's Twelve and Vintage Compressor for example), but for some reason they choose not to include the "Solid" series in the demo. I emailed them specifically about Transient Master, they said there is no demo of that product.

I find the new website kind of dreadful to visit, it's really illogical & touchy to navigate the way they have flash player integrated. A lot of the links to specific places are broken and just take you to the generic front page. Or they do too many redirects & stalls the browser. It's cluttered, yet over simplified at the same time. It's a million steps to get to the online shop of the smaller add on items to check them out. And the website doesn't even launch sections of the website that it's supposed to go to when you arrive there from google, because something weird happens with flash loading.
Last edited by icedsushi on Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:11 am

There's also Schaak Transient Shaper in addition to the Stillwell offering. But that's everything I could find that works on OSX without iLok. That's why I'm curious about NI Transient Master.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:13 pm

icedsushi wrote:
JuanSOLO wrote:I own Guitar Rig so I can't figure out how to use the GR demo as a plug in Ableton to really try some things out. LAME.
Launch the standalone of GR4. Go to the help menu in the menu bar, select start demo. Keep the standalone running, do not close it. Now launch Live and drag an instance of GR4 to a track, it should now be in demo mode as a plugin, where some of the additional devices that are not purchased yet should appear.

THANKS! I didnt know I needed to leave Guitar Rig open in standalone.

And yeah NI's website has sucked for a while with all that flash junk. It's always trying to redirect me to the home page.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:01 am

You're welcome. :wink:

Well, I just upgraded to Guitar Rig 5 & discovered that Transient Master, the Solid series and some other new stuff is included in the demo. It's only not included in GR4 so the answer that NI gave me about there not being a demo was incorrect.

It sounds good to me but I'm not sure it's worth $99. It has a little more smack than Stillwell Audio Transient Monster, but doesn't sound as natural. There is some sacrifice in the low end and unexpected peaks. This is due to the attack/release time being just a tad too quick for my taste, which is not adjustable. I like how with Transient Monster you can adjust the attack/release time and it sounds more controlled & natural. Might be worth having both.

I want to check what else is out there & compare. Anything other suggestions for Mac that don't need an iLok or PCI card?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:37 pm

this is the original :
(hw) http://spl.info/hardware/signal-process ... short.html

(sw)
http://spl.info/software/transient-desi ... ption.html

stillwell audio looks very robust.. but not as simple..

the NI tries to emulate the spl.. (which is considered a classic)

you might like this (free):
http://www.fluxhome.com/products/freewares/bittersweet2

jasonjbundy

Post by jasonjbundy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:33 pm

I own Komplete Ultimate and the new plugs, such as Transient Master, are fantastic. Running them in GR5 could be seen as a drawback, but not to me.