"Out of memory"

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

"Out of memory"

Post by sporkles » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Is this a precise error message, or is it just Live telling you "fuck it, I don't know how to deal with this shit, so I'm shutting down."? I installed 8.2.6, to see if there were any improvements, and, after a while, this box popped up, and Live shut down. It's not that I find it completely unthinkable; I was at my desktop computer (which is completely outperformed by my laptop now), and I was getting some pops and cracks in the audio stream now and then, but the "out of memory" message came out of the blue; I was editing some midi notes, and all of a sudden, the app froze.

I got that same message in some graphics app too, a long time ago, and there was no way lack of memory was the actual problem.

I am using quite a few VST's (softsynths), but I'm not entirely sure how VST's tax the RAM — I thought that was mainly a sampler thing, and that softsynths that aren't sample based depended more on processing power?

Anyway, not a huge deal, but it kind of bugs me that every time I'm ready to declare Live bug free, something like this happens. I just have to remember to hit ctrl+s more often. :?

9V

Re: "Out of memory"

Post by 9V » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:58 pm

"out of memory"?! are you on a vic 20 or commodore 64? :roll:

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:44 am

It's possible that this set requires a huge amount of memory which exceeds Live's memory limit (2-3 GB on Windows and 4 GB on MacOS)

Have you been getting this message just in this particular set, or quite a few?

Check out your memory usage in the affected set.

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:29 am

Happens to me all the time.

Live's limit is 3 gigs. I constantly have to manage the set, delete unused clips, freeze tracks, etc. It's not a bug, just the 32 bits limit!

PC or MAC?
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:49 pm

Like I mentioned, it's not entirely impossible that I've actually reached the limit, but the same set works just fine on my laptop (which does have 8 GB RAM installed, as opposed to my stationary, which has 4, but Live can't use more than the 3 gigs anyway). Also, I had played around a little bit with the set on my stationary computer prior to installing 8.2.6, without getting that message/crash.

remute99

Post by remute99 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:10 pm

9V wrote:"out of memory"?! are you on a vic 20 or commodore 64? :roll:
WTF? Try using a fully loaded Omnisphere, a fully loaded Kontakt and a couple of other VST like Stylus RMX, Warmverb etc and you'l get this message *all the fucking time*.
This is on an 8 core Mac with 10GB of RAM.
Mac Pro
Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2 x 2.8 GHz
10 GB RAM
OSX 10.5.6

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:36 pm

remute99 wrote:
9V wrote:"out of memory"?! are you on a vic 20 or commodore 64? :roll:
WTF? Try using a fully loaded Omnisphere, a fully loaded Kontakt and a couple of other VST like Stylus RMX, Warmverb etc and you'l get this message *all the fucking time*.
This is on an 8 core Mac with 10GB of RAM.
As I'm typing this, I'm running the same project in Live 8.2.2 on my laptop, no problems. I guess it's possible that Live on this system can utilise more of the 3 (or is it 3.5?) GB it can theoretically address, as I'm running Win 7 64-bit w/8 GB RAM?

Oh, and don't mind 9V; he just needs to make his presence known.