Anyone syncing outboard midi gear with ableton? need help!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Muzik 4 Machines

Re: Anyone syncing outboard midi gear with ableton? need help!!!

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:40 am

i have a similar issue using a 1 port interface feeding a 8 ports patchbay to feed my racks, sometimes live chokes so bad it slows down the entire track, even when receiving external clock

grimleyj

Post by grimleyj » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:08 pm

Midi is not sample accurate and never will be! I just don't understand how people's issues can be so unworkable when so much great music (that is in time) has been written using midi? Are you referring to latency or inconsistency? Consistency is the important thing as latency can be overcome.
Of course midi is never going to be sample accurate but one can dream right? Yes inconsistency is my main problem. Clock drift, clock/song start offset and note timing drift seems to change from day to day depending on what I have running or what i have hooked up to my Mac via USB. In any case, the InnerClock and the Korg MonoTribe audio click timing mechanism have inspired me to patch up something similar in the Nord G2.

trevox

Post by trevox » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:47 pm

grimleyj wrote:
Midi is not sample accurate and never will be! I just don't understand how people's issues can be so unworkable when so much great music (that is in time) has been written using midi? Are you referring to latency or inconsistency? Consistency is the important thing as latency can be overcome.
Of course midi is never going to be sample accurate but one can dream right? Yes inconsistency is my main problem. Clock drift, clock/song start offset and note timing drift seems to change from day to day depending on what I have running or what i have hooked up to my Mac via USB. In any case, the InnerClock and the Korg MonoTribe audio click timing mechanism have inspired me to patch up something similar in the Nord G2.
One can dream indeed!

Yeah, I have a Modular G1 and a G2 and both sync up perfectly with both Logic and Live. I give both their own midi port. The one thing I can think of as an issue which I did have years ago when syncing up two laptops - are you sending MTC to your external devices? If you send the midi clock alone, the tempo can jump around a bit, but with MTC, they should sync perfectly.