All times are UTC

Post subject: Monitors in the $30 to $50 range....
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:43 pm 

Anything good out there for cheap? $30 to $50 range for the whole pair ?

Post subject: Re: Monitors in the $30 to $50 range....
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:50 pm 

no.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:50 pm 

hell no.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:51 pm 

You're missing a couple zeros there fella!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:52 pm 

you cant even buy decent headphones for that.....sorry.....maybe a set of used headphones? monitors...no way

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:54 pm 

Spend that on just on the lynx cables lol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:56 pm 

Saying that, I have a mate who can put together reasonably mixed tunes on laptop inbuilt speakers. Don't underestimate the value of training your mind and your ears.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:25 am 

ciw wrote:
Saying that, I have a mate who can put together reasonably mixed tunes on laptop inbuilt speakers. Don't underestimate the value of training your mind and your ears.

Most of the professionally mixed music is engineered towards portable audio.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:26 am 

ciw wrote:

Sebastien Leger was using computer speakers in the FM mag tutorial and he seems to be doing alright for himself.

for that money though maybe old 2nd hand hi fi speakers or you may be best just spending that money on shops own brand alcoholic beverages getting completely smashed and ending the evening with a good hard vomiting session. of course you dont have to do that its just a suggestion. :P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:47 pm 

i think nicolay used to mix on little desktop speakers too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:31 am 

If everything you play on your speakers sounds good than it should not be too hard to mix on them. I know a lot of people say "consumer speakers are made to make everything sound good bla bla bla" when thats not really the case. There are many consumer speakers that sound like shit and im sure if you tried to mix on them your mixes would sound like shit.
When you go and check out studio monitors you are suppose to take a cd with tracks you know well to test the speakers out.. so just do the same with consumer speakers. Its also a lot easier to mix on consumer speakers when using spectrum.

A few years ago I became convinced that I needed to upgrade my "shit" $11.00 jvc headphones for some pro headphones. I tried so many headphones during that time and not one pair were as easy to mix on as the jvc headphones.

The only problem with going this cheap route though is that you might end up going through many cheap speakers just to find one good pair when you could just buy something for a couple hundred like krk rokit 5s (this is what I use) and be done.

so basically I just wrote a whole paragraph to let you know that i have no advice.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:10 am 

Nathannn, my friend, you have the best gear list ever. MMX technology. Good gravy. The irony is palpable, but still a refreshing change from the dual core, quad core, ghey core pissing contests that clog every message board on the Internets.

I have some MMX technology at the bottom of a closet in my studio. I keep meaning to break that PC out sometime to remind myself what Windows 98 looks like and open up some old Sonic Foundry Acid projects to hear some digital-aliased-to-hell timestretched-ear-damage goodness. MMX!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:25 am 

nathannn wrote:
If everything you play on your speakers sounds good than it should not be too hard to mix on them. I know a lot of people say "consumer speakers are made to make everything sound good bla bla bla" when thats not really the case. There are many consumer speakers that sound like shit and im sure if you tried to mix on them your mixes would sound like shit.
When you go and check out studio monitors you are suppose to take a cd with tracks you know well to test the speakers out.. so just do the same with consumer speakers. Its also a lot easier to mix on consumer speakers when using spectrum.

A few years ago I became convinced that I needed to upgrade my "shit" $11.00 jvc headphones for some pro headphones. I tried so many headphones during that time and not one pair were as easy to mix on as the jvc headphones.

The only problem with going this cheap route though is that you might end up going through many cheap speakers just to find one good pair when you could just buy something for a couple hundred like krk rokit 5s (this is what I use) and be done.

so basically I just wrote a whole paragraph to let you know that i have no advice.

how true. if you know sound, you know sound. if you don't, you believe absolute hype or front. Yes, a 500K studio can be rocked. If you can't rock it though, it's gonna sound horrible. I put my money ($287.12 uncashed paycheck) on a person who know sounds any day. With that said, I would love to be in a 500K Studio, or just have dope monitors again, soon.

(SNEAK PREVIEW OF MY ALBUM)
SOUNDCLOUD
http://soundcloud.com/infinitebeyond/
MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/infiniteb
TWITTER:
http://twitter.com/InfiniteBeyond

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:50 am 

infiniteB wrote:
nathannn wrote:

how true. if you know sound, you know sound. if you don't, you believe absolute hype or front. Yes, a 500K studio can be rocked. If you can't rock it though, it's gonna sound horrible. I put my money ($287.12 uncashed paycheck) on a person who know sounds any day. With that said, I would love to be in a 500K Studio, or just have dope monitors again, soon.

287.12 uncashed paycheck!!! :lol: :lol: I think I would get along with you just fine in real life.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:57 am 

convex wrote:
Nathannn, my friend, you have the best gear list ever. MMX technology. Good gravy. The irony is palpable, but still a refreshing change from the dual core, quad core, ghey core pissing contests that clog every message board on the Internets.

I have some MMX technology at the bottom of a closet in my studio. I keep meaning to break that PC out sometime to remind myself what Windows 98 looks like and open up some old Sonic Foundry Acid projects to hear some digital-aliased-to-hell timestretched-ear-damage goodness. MMX!!

yeah thats not really an accurate list today .. it was sorta accurate back in 2001 though (minus the casio keyboard and hit stix). and i still could make music then!
i remember being able to get around 12 tracks of audio and midi back then but my latency would be around 2000 ms.
so i could never actually play an instrument everything was done with the piano roll in fruity loops.

but that sig stays as a reminder that you dont NEED all the crap that you think you need.