To Maschine Or Not To Maschine

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
nylarch

Re: To Maschine Or Not To Maschine

Post by nylarch » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:42 pm

This has been an interesting thread as I've been considering a Mikro (just 'cause the desk space i have is limited). And I did catch an artist at a recent master class (who shall remain nameless) mention that AKAI has something up their sleeves for Live so I'm guessing a fully integrated drum machine is close and just might be better for the workflow.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

23kon

Post by 23kon » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:47 pm

im tempted by the micro too. i'm going to go into shop tomoro and get hands-on with one.

I really DO hope that Ableton team up with Akai to produce a controller to kick maschine's ass though.
People really do swear by maschine and it's set a decent benchmark.

23kon

Post by 23kon » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:48 pm

nylarch wrote:This has been an interesting thread as I've been considering a Mikro (just 'cause the desk space i have is limited). And I did catch an artist at a recent master class (who shall remain nameless) mention that AKAI has something up their sleeves for Live so I'm guessing a fully integrated drum machine is close and just might be better for the workflow.
WOW! i think i might hold-out. Any idea on timeframe?

rydn

Post by rydn » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:52 pm

23kon wrote:
nylarch wrote:This has been an interesting thread as I've been considering a Mikro (just 'cause the desk space i have is limited). And I did catch an artist at a recent master class (who shall remain nameless) mention that AKAI has something up their sleeves for Live so I'm guessing a fully integrated drum machine is close and just might be better for the workflow.
WOW! i think i might hold-out. Any idea on timeframe?
Yeah this is interesting. Real?!

William

Post by William » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:44 pm

It would be huge if that happened
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:05 am

was mentioned in passing...no specifics...but I would bet on Ableton 9 and a new Akai controller by the holidays....and I have no real knowledge of any of this.

23kon

Post by 23kon » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:17 am

nylarch wrote:...but I would bet on Ableton 9 and a new Akai controller by the holidays.
I'm hoping you mean the October Holidays ;)
I just can't wait until the Xmas Holidays after hearing that!
---

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:16 am

It would be huge if that happened
I agree. Drum racks are soooo close to being great but some integrated hardware and a bit better slicing would be amazing.

fewtureJ

Post by fewtureJ » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:41 am

I bought a maschine - got some good tracks going. But then realised that once the song was starting to come together I wanted to be working in Ableton and not some annoying Maschine step sequencer bs - I don't like having to export everything ive done into ableton - i like to make stuff as fast as possible, otherwise i never finish them.

After spending a few months with it, and really not enjoying the overall workflow I sold it and haven't looked back. I prefer to have a simple set up and not multi 'go to' applications or devices.

It was also a system resources hog for me (Im still running a Core 2 Duo computer).

But when I read all this stuff about it, I wonder, maybe I should try it again (this time with mikro version)

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:41 am

Tone Deft wrote:to Maschine Mikro or not. might ditch the MPC for one. hmmmm...
my thoughts exactly....not :lol:

no seriously Tone thats just what I was thinking, have been looking for another mpc 500 since I've been regretting selling mine a while back and the mikro looks hard to resist. maschine + the freakin laptop chained to it have exactly what every mpc user would kill for, some serious effects capability.... thats all mpc users have ever missed. if Akai stopped being so damn stingy and actually put an effects engine inside the mpc-500 that was up to par with todays standards and gave it chopshop I would be eating them up like skittles, but I just got a macbook air and the thought of the air/mikro/launchpad with aurex apps combo is sucking me in like a black hole

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:51 am

starving student wrote:the thought of the air/mikro
11" Air/Mikro would make for quite a lean, mean mobile setup.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:08 am

fewtureJ wrote:I bought a maschine - got some good tracks going. But then realised that once the song was starting to come together I wanted to be working in Ableton and not some annoying Maschine step sequencer bs - I don't like having to export everything ive done into ableton - i like to make stuff as fast as possible, otherwise i never finish them.

After spending a few months with it, and really not enjoying the overall workflow I sold it and haven't looked back. I prefer to have a simple set up and not multi 'go to' applications or devices.

It was also a system resources hog for me (Im still running a Core 2 Duo computer).

But when I read all this stuff about it, I wonder, maybe I should try it again (this time with mikro version)

ummm so what other stepsequencer were you using before maschines that was so 'simpler'.....?..........please don't say Lives, or a drumrack, or a max4live steqsequencer cause none of them are remotely as easy you must of been on fruity loops or gurru or somethin else?

@the rest of yous :) I'm definitely interested in what any dev has up their sleeve in the beatmachine regard but what makes you think that whatever akai has got going that it is anywhere near as stable, integrated, or feature rich as maschine is now, and will be just after the next update?
keep in mind I'm not the maschine fanboy some of you think, actually I'm a Live fanboy but just not a knuckleheaded one, I started out with 5 mpcs when a couple of the forum fam started to wear me down on maschine and at first I just wasn't going to touch it and all I did was rip on it, and then my rips turned into questions and then my questions lead to more research and more questions and then the answers I got lead to me trying maschine out and then maschine just made all kinds of sense. Now I'm down to one mpc and I'll be dead before I give that up but seriously
maschine is just a tool and if you love making music you will love good tools that you can make music with.

akai could clean up the market by just upgrading the software on the beatmachines they've already got out there but no they don't want to do that, they'd rather let jj a totally 'other entity' revive and blow life into their mpc 1000 and 2500 series, now I'm not saying it isn't possible but honestly it would be hard to bet on. if they were willing to do so they would have done better with the apc-40 line but again like the mpcs everybody and their mother is supplying scripts for the apc-40. I'm sure there is some d-head in a boardroom somewhere at numark right now saying 'look all we have to do is re-release the mpc-5000 and add an ableton live template for it' ..... just watch. it's a far cry between them releasing 'something' and them releasing something that is up to par with maschine and if they did that I would be the first person in where ever the hell I am to put it through it's paces. machine isn't about gearlust or hype, it's got some failings that they promise to clear up and it's got allot of what's right going for it. I was super-skeptical about it at first but it's def a great tool. I would bet more on behringher to come out with something closer to maschine than akai, I just don't think Akai have the balls to give the people that much of want they want, heres to hoping I'm wrong about that. and while we're at it bring on the beatthang version 2.0 as well!!!

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:13 am

humnumb wrote:
i'm hoping so, having some gripes with the air. it feels like a great laptop but the lack of firewire and usb 3.0 is bothering me.
I just got it 10 days ago and I'm hoping they don't come out with something better right around the corner, the only thing about the mikro
that gets me is why didn't they just go on an put a row of knobs and buttons at the top and a crossfader somewhere on the damn thing, if they had it could have very well been all I'd ever want in a controller and right now there would be a two year waiting list of backorders, they'd be selling those things at ihop.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:23 am

starving student wrote:
humnumb wrote:
i'm hoping so, having some gripes with the air. it feels like a great laptop but the lack of firewire and usb 3.0 is bothering me.
I just got it 10 days ago and I'm hoping they don't come out with something better right around the corner, the only thing about the mikro
that gets me is why didn't they just go on an put a row of knobs and buttons at the top and a crossfader somewhere on the damn thing, if they had it could have very well been all I'd ever want in a controller and right now there would be a two year waiting list of backorders, they'd be selling those things at ihop.
Mikro with bunch of knobs and buttons at the top = regular maschine

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:02 am

i mean like say if they kept the small screen of the mikro, got rid of the 2 lucious lcds on maschine 1, kept the size of the mikro and just added a row of knobs and buttons at the top