Drum & Bass sidechaining question?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Ill Frequencies

Drum & Bass sidechaining question?

Post by Ill Frequencies » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:34 pm

Do I want the sidechaining to be activated when only the kick hits? Or for both the kick and the snare?

Cheers

dazzer

Re: Drum & Bass sidechaining question?

Post by dazzer » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:11 pm

As you wish, although I am now experimenting with kick and snare, and depending on the vibe I'm after, it works well that way. I guess if you've got the typical 200hz snare that you really want to cut through the mix, it makes sense to do the snare as well as the kick.

IMHO, of course.

Ill Frequencies

Post by Ill Frequencies » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:37 pm

Yeah I had been doing it with both the kick and snare because they are some bits that you really want to stand out. But then got a bit confused when I watched a tutorial on D&B.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:40 am

Well, in the Reso CM tut for War Machine he ducks off kick n snare. Different strokes.

southsounder

Post by southsounder » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:30 am

The "usual" practice is just the kick, as its the competing low frequencies and muddiness that tend to cause the most problems. I've never really had any issues with the bass stepping on the snare, even in the 200-400hz range, and I tend to track busier bass lines too.
As dazzer emphasizes though, if ducking the bass on both the kick & snare hits works for your tracks then that's the right way for you.

ciw

Post by ciw » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:04 am

That depends on what you're sidechaining - bass, hats, mid... - and what freqiencies of the kick/snare it overlaps with (snares in dnb are often quite bassy, with some worthwhile content around 140hz) - AND what if any, audible effect on the groove you want it to have.

Do whatever works. Often I go for lightweight kicks in dnb so just sidechain the snare.