Sonic Academy Turtorial question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mbird21

Re: Sonic Academy Turtorial question

Post by mbird21 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:36 pm

haha keep robbie nelson away from here :lol:
Alex!

crazy chris

Post by crazy chris » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:58 pm

I know that the tutorials can only take you so far in actually writting the music, i was just curioius how are these turtorials in teaching me the program. i know music, been playing my whole life, i just want to learn abelton.

mbird21

Post by mbird21 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:20 pm

Well i know theres a introduction to ableton course, two in fact if i remember, one is aimed at real basics of putting a simple tune together and gets people working with arrangement and session view giving you feel of the programme and then they have a more advanced intermediate course which then starts using filters, reverbs and distortion etc on the different tracks and returns and they give good solid advice on right way to use them and not splash them all over the place, so if you want to get grips with ableton on a basic level and work your way up, i say fuckin go for it mate, whats there to losE?
Alex!

mbird21

Post by mbird21 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:22 pm

crazy chris wrote:I know that the tutorials can only take you so far in actually writting the music, i was just curioius how are these turtorials in teaching me the program. i know music, been playing my whole life, i just want to learn abelton.
Theres aslo a pretty good basic music theory course aimed at beginers before you advance to putting the real tunes together, so i happen to disagree with that comment that it will teach you so much, i think if you go through the tutorials slowly and repeat them yourself without the video explaining you will find your own way naturally and with the music theory basics down you will see a massive improvement, but its right aslo that you need to carve your own style from what you learn and not be copy cat so good balance :lol:
Alex!

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:07 am

#1thelark wrote:Where did you download the tutorials? :roll:
I'm suspecting it's spam. SA doesn't have free videos. I don't think their stuff is as good ad Groove 3.

dokx

Post by dokx » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:56 am

crazy chris wrote:
This is everything I downloaded:
So you downloaded pirated stuff, because SA only provides online access (which means: streaming) to their service.

Of course you can rip the streams as a gold member, but it's against the licence agreement.

dokx

Post by dokx » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:57 am

kitekrazy wrote:
#1thelark wrote:Where did you download the tutorials? :roll:
I'm suspecting it's spam. SA doesn't have free videos. I don't think their stuff is as good ad Groove 3.
But they have much more stuff for Abletoners. :)

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:18 am

Yeah, I totally read your post and I think... Wait...

8O TL;DR!!!!!!
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

mbird21

Post by mbird21 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:49 am

Yeah i like Groove3 videos too, good one on house music done by Timothy, and ableton explained one, whether you have downloaded the videos illegally or not, none of my business on your question at hand like the guy says above groove3 good too, and you can pay just for one month and go through at your will :D
Alex!

miqueas1

Post by miqueas1 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:01 pm

Sonic Academy tutorials are the only tutorials I use now in terms of being genre specific.

They do use alot of Sylynth (can't spell) which I own.

I mean honestly I have been using Live for probably 6 or 7 years now. Actually right before Katrina.

I have to say the tutorials on there are majority Intermediate.. and it really helps to know the software up and down and actually know how to work the software... rather than just using it to learn how it works.

I didnt' start using their tutorials until prob about a year ago.

I took 2 class at Berklee School of Music Online, Intro to Ableton Live and Ableton Live intermediate.

That to me was the best $3000.00 I have ever spend it my life.

Once you learn how to really work in the softward and move around then things will come together.

Many cannot afford the classes at Berklee but if anyone is thinking about it and wondering if it is worth it... it is worth every single penny.

I learned everything there is to learn about ableton. They literally cover every area and every instrument that comes with Live.

After taking those classes online, I would study computer music magazine and read it every month and follow tutorials in there.

also there is alot of experimentation involved in any making of music. It doesn't just all come together, you have to work very hard to get the results you want. There is no magic answer, there is no single way do to things.

I think Sonic Academy is a great way to learn how to make genre specific tarcks, and to learn how others flow and be able to see a diff way of making music.

No longer do I spend my days wasted just jamming and not making a commited project / arrangement. it really does teach you how to focus on each element step by step and how to get that sound you want.

However you have to know the basics, and have your own style and know what you want to do and what to take away from it all.

I feel if I started on the intermed sonic tutorials right when I started using Live, I would be lost. I really think it is important to experiment and learn how to do things on your own, and then start some tutorials and invest in some type of learning if you are serious about it.

Also just because you learn the in's and out's of the software does not mean you are going to make great music right away.... the next steps after learning your work flow and how to use everything together, is fine tuning your set up to work on how you want things to go for you, also being organized.

Now I am focusing on the actual sounds. You start to realize that really good songs on the dance floor aren't as complicated to make and have some basic basslines and elements. They key is to know what adds to the song / track, and if it doesn't add to the song cut it.... It makes more space for your other elements.

Then you move on to the mastering end and mix down end! Which is another world in itself!

LOL

I now have my Oxygen 8 and novation sl 25 key board s/u to use as keys.

the automapping now is amazing.
I use the apc 40 and my launch pad for triggering clips, automation, and playing in session view to get a good sketch down.

I use my Maschine Mikro for my drums and s/u groups for each drum into ableton to control the sounds and export the midi to add groove to those drums.... Maschine really help you come up with new groove ideas.

At times I will export those loops created in Maschine (as in creating your own percussion loops) and then will recycle them, export each hit, and them importing them into drum racks, creating various loops in there and exporting them as audio to add more fill drums.

I use my IPAD at times for touchable to have more dedicated controller to manipulte effects for different elements for automation purposes.

and also us the GRIID program to help creat midi clips in ableton in real time as step sequencer for varaious leads / basslines.

plain and simple. the possibilities are endless. !!!!

Good luck and welcome to Ableton!

:)
Ableton Live Suite 8, Launchpad, Apc40, Touch-able, Griid, Minimoog, Sylenth1, Nexxus2, Maschine Mikro, all Ableton Audio Plugins, Recyle, Waves Mastering Plug Ins. http://www.soundcloud.com/micahjames

dokx

Post by dokx » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:45 am

miqueas1 wrote:
I took 2 class at Berklee School of Music Online, Intro to Ableton Live and Ableton Live intermediate.

Really, I mean: really? $3000?

Thank god I am able to teach myself how to work with software, I would never spend so much cash for tutoring, ever...

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:10 am

with $3000 I would buy UBK Fatso. They say it makes everything sound good ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkCyM85OUfw
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

miqueas1

Post by miqueas1 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:40 pm

dokx wrote:
miqueas1 wrote:

Really, I mean: really? $3000?

Thank god I am able to teach myself how to work with software, I would never spend so much cash for tutoring, ever...

It was an actual full semester for both classes... The best money I have ever spent in my life
Ableton Live Suite 8, Launchpad, Apc40, Touch-able, Griid, Minimoog, Sylenth1, Nexxus2, Maschine Mikro, all Ableton Audio Plugins, Recyle, Waves Mastering Plug Ins. http://www.soundcloud.com/micahjames

philter

Post by philter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:06 pm

WOW! nice way to publicly advertise you stole all of our tutorials!

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:12 pm

the plot thickens...
8O