Seriously late to the party, but...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
franknputer

Seriously late to the party, but...

Post by franknputer » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:32 am

Racks. To put it simply - Holy Sh!t!! :mrgreen:

I understood the concepts but I'd never really delved into them before. Actually, I've only recently REALLY started getting deeply into Live. Even though I've had it since v6, I'd really just scratched the surface using it for basic arranging. (Not much of a synth guy, although I really do like them - but I have weak keyboard skills...)

I've been working my way through a tutorial on Live 8 at lynda.com, an online video training site, and finding a lot of little nuggets of stuff I had not really noticed. But now - getting into the instruments & racks...o my god! 8O I see madness on the horizon... :lol:

2be

Re: Seriously late to the party, but...

Post by 2be » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:20 am

I think racks are the feature I love most about Ableton Live. Wish other DAWs had it as well ;)

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:39 pm

racks are one of the best things about Live. the fact i can turn a single dial and change a filter cut off, arp rate and reverb setting is great- as is the ability to create really bespoke layered instruments.

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:58 pm

You should check out the bezier curves, seriously.. :lol:

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:32 pm

you wouldn't let it lie. :D

saxman420

Post by saxman420 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:59 pm

Post subject: Seriously late to the party, but...

Racks. To put it simply - Holy Sh!t!!

I understood the concepts but I'd never really delved into them before. Actually, I've only recently REALLY started getting deeply into Live. Even though I've had it since v6, I'd really just scratched the surface using it for basic arranging. (Not much of a synth guy, although I really do like them - but I have weak keyboard skills...)

I've been working my way through a tutorial on Live 8 at lynda.com, an online video training site, and finding a lot of little nuggets of stuff I had not really noticed. But now - getting into the instruments & racks...o my god! I see madness on the horizon...
I'm in the same boat....It has changed my live performances dramatically....good times :mrgreen:
Steve

franknputer

Post by franknputer » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:30 am

Track grouping is some good stuff too - I related to it from a mixing standpoint (subgroups or VCA groups are the norm on larger audio consoles) but hadn't really thought about how cool it is to have that in Session view. :)

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:44 am

I often pick a rack with in/outs sends on it, thus I can redo my own custom rack [modifying everthing from the instrument to the fx chains]

I never understood why I cant integrate this on default instrument racks [ins/outs]

Cool Character

Post by Cool Character » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:58 am

You know what else rules?

8)