Liam Howlett with Live (Screenshot)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:39 am

I just heard "Girls" off the new album and it sounded very amaturish. I'm not surprised to hear it was all done in Reason, it sounded like it.

k

horselesspaul

Post by horselesspaul » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:05 am

dirtystudios wrote:I just heard "Girls" off the new album and it sounded very amaturish. I'm not surprised to hear it was all done in Reason, it sounded like it.

k
Totally.
Just resampled Prodigy tunes made from other people's music in the first place. REALLY uninspired.
Personally, while I liked the last 2 albums, I thought they sounded very grainy and overcompressed. This one is just tedious. Shame he couldn't afford to buy Reason. Really sends out the right messages to the yoof, innit. I wonder if he's a registered Live user?

Paul.
Apple Certified Logic Trainer.

MBP 2.2 4Gb 7200 RME FF400 Live 6.0.9
G4 Dual 450 3Gb RME Multiface Live 6.0.9
Intel MacMini Duo 1.6 2Gb RME FF400 Live 6.0.9
Toshiba P25 3Ghz 2Gb RME Multiface Live 6.0.9 XP

raapie

Post by raapie » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:19 am

dirtystudios wrote:I just heard "Girls" off the new album and it sounded very amaturish. I'm not surprised to hear it was all done in Reason, it sounded like it.

k
So the tools are more important than the music?

Is a song with a Fender Strat worse than one with a Les Paul. I mean: a Strat hums like HELL!

:twisted:
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:21 am

but a strat has GUTZ!!

Big difference in sound.

-Ben

MarkH

Post by MarkH » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:57 am

horselesspaul wrote:Shame he couldn't afford to buy Reason. Really sends out the right messages to the yoof, innit. I wonder if he's a registered Live user?Paul.
C'mon man, do you really think the Props would have interviewed him and posted the interview on their web site if he was using a pirated copy? Tell me you're not that gullible to believe what some schmoe posts.
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:30 am

I don't know, Angstrom seems reliable to me, i trust his free plug ins anyway. I've nothing but pity in my heart for Liam Howlett after seeing some of the carry on his Missus got up to in "I'm a celebrity, get me on telly". I really liked Action Radar and Girls and nearly liked the Juliet Whatshername track, the rest of it hmmmm!. I thought the sound of the album was grand, if a little "clean wants to be dirty" with all that fancy analog distortion from the Culture Vulture.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:29 am

The man made milions with his music so i think reason isn.t a problem to buy. He is mastering everthing in protools so if it sounding not the same as the big beats he used to make a few years ago maybee he is doing that with a plan. The guys could easely make the same music again but why should he. I personaly like this style better.

MarkH

Post by MarkH » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:33 am

JAMM wrote:The guys could easely make the same music again but why should he. I personaly like this style better.
And they did make the same music again with the single "Baby's Got a Temper" released in 2002. Liam trashed it because he felt like it was Fat of the Land - Part 2. Anyway, I dig the new album. Good stuff.
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

horselesspaul

Post by horselesspaul » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:06 pm

MarkH wrote:
horselesspaul wrote:Shame he couldn't afford to buy Reason. Really sends out the right messages to the yoof, innit. I wonder if he's a registered Live user?Paul.
C'mon man, do you really think the Props would have interviewed him and posted the interview on their web site if he was using a pirated copy? Tell me you're not that gullible to believe what some schmoe posts.
I heard this R1 interview myself. Maybe they gave him a copy afterwards.
Apple Certified Logic Trainer.

MBP 2.2 4Gb 7200 RME FF400 Live 6.0.9
G4 Dual 450 3Gb RME Multiface Live 6.0.9
Intel MacMini Duo 1.6 2Gb RME FF400 Live 6.0.9
Toshiba P25 3Ghz 2Gb RME Multiface Live 6.0.9 XP

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:46 pm

some schmoe wrote:Tell me you're not that gullible to believe what some schmoe posts
well that's the way I remember it!

It was implied (although not explicity stated) that he bought a copy as soon as anyone took an interest in the music being anything beyond it being just doodlings.

I think he said: " a friend of mine was trying to get me to do something constructive and kept going on about how exciting reason was, but I wasn't intersted. He did me a copy, but I didnt touch it for ages until I was really bored one day"

seemed like an unwitting admission of receipt of a bootleg copy to me!

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:58 pm

MrYellow wrote:but a strat has GUTZ!!

Big difference in sound.

-Ben
I disagree, LP has more Gutz but Strat CUTZ!

nexus-6

Post by nexus-6 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:18 pm

whats the advantage of having ableton live running in sync on 2 laptops???

and i like the new prodigy album(didnt at first,but after i have listened to it a couple of times i think its a good album)
Nexus-6,Nexus-6-project

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:26 pm

nexus-6 wrote:whats the advantage of having ableton live running in sync on 2 laptops???

More tracks at once, you could cross fade between the two :) double the help screens, or you could have the manual up on one while using the other... :)
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:36 pm

nexus-6 wrote:whats the advantage of having ableton live running in sync on 2 laptops???

he can switch songs without having to stop also (at least youd hope so)

louZ

Post by louZ » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:26 pm

MarkH wrote:
JAMM wrote:The guys could easely make the same music again but why should he. I personaly like this style better.
And they did make the same music again with the single "Baby's Got a Temper" released in 2002. Liam trashed it because he felt like it was Fat of the Land - Part 2. Anyway, I dig the new album. Good stuff.
yug, that Baby Got a Temper song was nowhere near Fat of the Land... i was kinda expecting Prodigy would go down the drain. they were doing too much drugs for too long... (if there's such a thing as too much drugs ofcourse :D )