Tempo tap recorded with audio?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dilshan89

Tempo tap recorded with audio?

Post by dilshan89 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:06 pm

Hey guys,

Im relatively new to ableton. Im trying to record some audio from a guitar into an audio track, but when I use the Tempo tap function, the tapping is also recorded into the audio clip. How can I stop this happening? I want to use the Tempo tap function but dont want it recorded with my guitar...

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

dilshan89

Re: Tempo tap recorded with audio?

Post by dilshan89 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:17 pm

Any ideas guys? x

joewes

Post by joewes » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:55 am

Maybe nobody really understands what you are asking. Can you rephrase your question?

EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:06 pm

Is the actual Metronome sound getting recorded onto the audio track?
MacBook Pro (MacOS 13.0.1) i9 Processor, 32gb RAM, 4tb SSD
(STUDIO I/O) MOTU UltraLite mk5 (w/ADA8200), (LIVE I/O) Behringer X Air XR18
Ableton Live Suite 11 (Live performances), Studio One 5 (Studio Stem Creation)

Davo

Post by Davo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:26 pm

I'm no great expert or anything but I am guessing that you are talking about an acoustic guitar recorded through a microphone. The metronome sound is coming out of your speakers to give you the timing but it also gets recorded through the microphone. Is that it? If so, I have dealt with this problem while recording a banjo by wearing headphones while recording. The metronome and the recorded instrument can be heard (monitored) through the headphones but will not be picked up by the microphone. I actually use earplugs because my headphones are open types that leak a bit of sound. I hope this helps. Perhaps there is a better way that someone can tell us. Keep on strumming, or picking, or whatever you do. Dave.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:38 pm

dilshan89 wrote:Hey guys,

Im relatively new to ableton. Im trying to record some audio from a guitar into an audio track, but when I use the Tempo tap function, the tapping is also recorded into the audio clip. How can I stop this happening? I want to use the Tempo tap function but dont want it recorded with my guitar...

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
why are you 'tapping' while recording..? it makes no sense !

Davo

Post by Davo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:22 pm

3dot... wrote:
why are you 'tapping' while recording..? it makes no sense !
I thought he would tap for a bit to get the right tempo and then leave the metronome playing to keep in time. Just a guess.

dilshan89

Post by dilshan89 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:51 pm

Sorry guys, wasn't very clear back when I explained. I still have this problem. Basically, when I record audio, I use the metronome. But, the metronome sound (thats the tapping), also gets recorded with the audio. How do I stop this happening? I have a keyboard hooked up to ableton, and I'd like to record some audio, using ableton's metronome to help me keep in time. But I don't want the metronome sound being recorded too.

Any ideas? Really would appreciate some help.

x

noland

Post by noland » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:04 pm

If you're recording with a microphone use closed headphones like beyerdynamics DT 770 or in-ear monitoring

if you're recording a software instrument or an instrument plugged in your soundcard make sure to turn the metronome off when your done. When the metronome button is active it will start clicking or tapping as soon as you press play, no matter if you record something or not.

Can you still hear the metronome after you exported your recorded clip?
give a man fire and he will be warm for the night
set a man on fire and he will never freeze again

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:19 pm

or just use a drum loop or something to use as a metronome instead until you understand what the deal is.
ImageImage

dilshan89

Post by dilshan89 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:38 pm

Yep, even if exported the metronome will be heard on the clip.

I would use a drum loop, but the thing is the drum loop would then be recorded onto the audio clip too. The audio track basically just records whatever sounds are present when recording. I can't make it ONLY record the keyboard.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:57 pm

Yeah I was thinking maybe it was like you didn't have a soundcard and you were using the onboard one so it just records everything it hears....
if that's the case download ASIO4All and see if you can figure the routing.

Same thing with your Inputs and Outputs in Live Preferences.

Is there just 1/2 showing and nothing else?
ImageImage

Centennialite

Post by Centennialite » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:47 pm

I'm having the same problem, and having no luck finding an easy answer anywhere on the Internet.

I too am trying to record a vocal in time with the metronome, and the metronome ticks record onto my mic track. I think for newbies or semi-newbies to Live it would help just to have a basic "here's how you set up i/o routing" etc. to make this work. It's very frustrating not knowing how to achieve something as basic as recording a vocal without anything else ending up on the track with it.

If I use another track, like drums, instead of the metronome, I have the same problem - the audio from whatever track it is ends up on my vocal track. I'm thinking of solving this one of two ways: 1) pan the mic track left and everything else right, then record; or 2) let Live's metronome play while I record the vocal into Sound Forge - if I can even do that without the same problem - then copy the .wav into Live.

There has to be an easier way to do this!

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:44 pm

yeah... use headphones (?!)

Centennialite

Post by Centennialite » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:00 pm

I am using headphones.

Tried it again last night. Looked on the 'net for any tutorials on how to record vocals, recording vocals or audio while using metronome, etc. I did fine a couple, and it appears I have everything routed properly (track 1 is my mic, it is set to "1" (other choice would be "1/2"), audio from external. All other tracks and/or metronome record onto the mic track no matter what I do (barring muting the other tracks, which leaves me with no sound to record vocal with!).

I am next going to try disabling my Creative X-Fi card and going back to the computer's build-in HD sound card, then using Asio4all to make up for no longer having *that* when I do this.

Any other suggestions, please? (Besides "use headphones"?)

Thanks.