Wavetable in Sampler?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
steffensen

Wavetable in Sampler?

Post by steffensen » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:19 am

Been considering getting Waldorf Largo for a while, as i love their take on wavetables. Then i thought, wouldnt it be cool if we could had similar wavetables for Sampler instead? Is this possible, and/or does it already exist perhaps? Havent found anything yet, but i might have missed it?

Only thing that stops me atm of getting Largo is the force of using a dongle, and it would be awesome to stay inside the Ableton box with Sampler.

Sorry if this already been brought up.

Press Enter

Re: Wavetable in Sampler?

Post by Press Enter » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:38 am

I guess you haven't demo'd Largo yet.

steffensen

Post by steffensen » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:43 am

Ive only heard demos, and i have been using waldorf's stuff before, back in the day. So i know i love it already. :)
But dongle schmongle... hrm...

Press Enter

Post by Press Enter » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:53 am

Challenge/Response is worse. But it's possible you avoid those plugs too, in which case I raise my glass to you :)

Anyway, regarding your query.. you're not gonna come close to the Largo sound just by sticking some wavetables in a sampler. Sorry.

btw when/if you come around to getting an e-licenser, xils-lab sell them individually for cost price.

steffensen

Post by steffensen » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:20 am

Yea i know, importing samples/waves isnt the same, but its mainly the combos of waves im after tbh. Tho having the real thing would be pretty darn awesome!
I dont know much about this elicenser system, or whatever its called. I use only serial protections as of now.
I have read however that you can use Largo without a usb dongle, which makes it bound only to that specific computer (and u cant use it anywhere else, like you could with a usb dongle), which is fine by me. This makes me less hesitated towards it now..

Not even sure if i CAN demo it without a dongle?

Argh the hassle.. why!?

Wonder if its possible to create similar sounding wavetables with the Operator additive option tho? I know its not the same thing, but close would be good enough for me.

Press Enter

Post by Press Enter » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:51 am

Well, as far as I know, you gotta have the e-licenser to demo it. Waldorf demos are very generous too. 99 days / 99 hrs. whichever expires first. It's worth buying an e-licenser (from xils lab) even just for the demo period. That's a lot of top quality synthesis for 12 euro, and plenty of sampling time if you are thrifty & industrious in equal measure.

You're right though, that depending on the developer, you can choose to move the license to your computer (so it locks to your hardware ID. Motherboard, hd, or a combination of the two. Something along those lines) and not use the dongle.
If I remember correctly though, steinberg are not allowing this for newer plugins ? You better double check that before purchase if it's a deal-breaker.

E-licenser are certainly less evil than ilok. There's no transfer fees with e-licenser stuff, nor are you locked/registered to a specific dongle - so you can freely sell your dongle. or transfer a license you want to sell to a spare one and post it. Also, when you demo something that's iLok protected you can never delete it once the trial time expires, so the demo license will forever take up space on your iLok if you don't buy the software. If you're going to cave in and go dongle, I'd certainly reccommend starting with e-licenser.

I use both, neither have given me problems (and C/R has. lots), but Pace are definitely in it to make more money off you even after buying one of their dongles.

That's enough copy protection talk for now.
Largo is a supremely sexy synth. I promise you after 5 mins of usage you'll be sorry you let the dongle put you off for so long.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:10 pm

if you're into wavetables ..these are a treat :
http://www.galbanum.com/products/archit ... forms2010/
...you get 25,000 waves so you'd have plenty..and they're very high class:

you can drop them into sampler (sampler has 'sample selector' so it's perfect)
...or even 'simpler'(using 'rack chain selector' to browse between..less than ideal)
...or max/msp(4L)..
there are also many 'wavetables' sampled from many synths for free on the web... search for them..

getting Largo strictly for the wavetables is fine..but pointless imo..
PPG/Micro/wave were wavetable monsters fo sho..
but they were complete instruments (including converters filters the works)..
and besides..we're in the future now...
where it's much more easy/flexible to work with digital media
so get it for the sum of it's parts(the instrument) if anything..

as for copy protection.. I wish there was 1 'dongle' to rule them all..
it makes the most sense to me being able to open up my software tools on ANY computer I wish to work on !
instead of chugging the laptop around..

btw these are from the 'wave' plugin I think :
http://www.ppg.synth.net/zip/lib_14_march_2001.zip

steffensen

Post by steffensen » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:24 pm

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
I actually tried that PPG free pack earlier, but it wasnt what i was after at all.
Then i demoed Largo, and now im sold (thanks to not beeing forced to use USB dongle if not wanting to). So no return now, i gotta have it. :)

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:31 pm

NICE ! it looks a killer..
almost bought it when it came out... having owned a mQ a few years back...
I've always loved the sound but hated the interaction..
but I&I stopped myself because ...
I'm pretty much armed to the teeth with almost any color softsynth I could have imagined..
no more! :lol:

steffensen

Post by steffensen » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:35 pm

However................ that galbanum library sounded like a killer! Gotta think about this some more i guess.
The possibillities with Racks and stay inside the box as much as possible, is very tempting, then again i do Love Waldorf.
Ill try the waveforms out, their demo pack at least, and see where i go. Thanks for the tip!

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:49 pm

just remembered this gem from 'covert operators' :
http://www.thecovertoperators.org/Live- ... aveforms-1

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:55 pm

also ..

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63467
hoffman2k wrote:You can download the Monolake AMS Creator from the following link: http://covops.dreamhosters.com/uploads/ ... or_091.zip

steffensen

Post by steffensen » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:05 pm

Yep, i remember those. Good stuff.
I may go Largo after all, since it got nice filters etc too. Also, Sampler use a bit more CPU with Best interpolation than Largo use out of the box. + the aliasing isnt that great using these waveforms. I could stick with the middle notes, which sounds fine tho. I usually dont play all over my keys. :)

Cool options, thanks!

crawling wind

Post by crawling wind » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:10 am

sorry for the necro-bump here: Live sampler would use the 32bit version of these files, right?
3dot... wrote:if you're into wavetables ..these are a treat :
http://www.galbanum.com/products/archit ... forms2010/
...you get 25,000 waves so you'd have plenty..and they're very high class:

you can drop them into sampler (sampler has 'sample selector' so it's perfect)
...or even 'simpler'(using 'rack chain selector' to browse between..less than ideal)
...or max/msp(4L)..
there are also many 'wavetables' sampled from many synths for free on the web... search for them..