Restart Roland USB Soundcard without restarting my Laptop?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Philosopher King

Restart Roland USB Soundcard without restarting my Laptop?

Post by The Philosopher King » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:41 pm

EDIT SEPT-26-2011: PROBLEM SOLVED - PLEASE SEE POST NUMBER 08 BELOW FOR SOLUTION.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

I recently got a Quad-Capture Soundcard. My DAW is Ableton 8.2.6. When Ableton crashes (on a regular basis) my new Roland Soundcard stays running but is not accessible without a Laptop (Win7 PC) Computer restart. When I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del, I don't see 'Quad-Capture' listed under Task Manager.

How can I restart my Roland Soundcard without restarting my Laptop?

Any help appreciated. I'm only starting to read the manual and can't find any remedy for this yet. I have a lot of Tracks 'in progress' and this is slowing me down.
Last edited by The Philosopher King on Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Philosopher King

Re: Restart Roland USB Soundcard without restarting my Laptop?

Post by The Philosopher King » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:15 pm

Just got another crash.

I unplugged my USB cable and left the Soundcard unplugged for a minute.
I managed to 'end process' (eventually) for Live 8.2.6.
On attempting to start Ableton again, it hung at the process ... 'Initializing audio Inputs and Outputs'.

Now I have to restart my Laptop again.

The Philosopher King

Post by The Philosopher King » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:50 am

Just got a reply from Roland UK.

You will not see the Quad Capture listed in Task Manager, it run at system level and is managed by "Windows Audio"

NOTE: According to Google, 'Windows Audio' as a 'Windows Process' is listed as 'audiodg.exe'.

duckpow

Post by duckpow » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:46 pm

As go for (nearly) all windows based system, I would highly recommend you run your soundcard using an asio driver!
- Well... but no!

bobland

Post by bobland » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:30 pm

I have a similar problem with the Focusrite Scarlett. If I let the computer sleep it will often disable the driver. I've found that killing the audiodg.exe process will immediately restart sound. To do this, open the task manager. You should find the audiodg.exe near the top of the Processes tab. Right click on it and "End Process." Hopefully, this will work for you, if not, sorry.

The Philosopher King

Post by The Philosopher King » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:18 pm

bobland wrote:I have a similar problem with the Focusrite Scarlett. If I let the computer sleep it will often disable the driver. I've found that killing the audiodg.exe process will immediately restart sound. To do this, open the task manager. You should find the audiodg.exe near the top of the Processes tab. Right click on it and "End Process." Hopefully, this will work for you, if not, sorry.
Thank you bobland. I'll try this next time. It fits exactly with what Roland UK were suggesting.

23kon

Post by 23kon » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:46 pm

duckpow wrote:As go for (nearly) all windows based system, I would highly recommend you run your soundcard using an asio driver!
What do you mean by "run your soundcard using an asio driver"
do you mean AS an asio driver?

The Philosopher King

Post by The Philosopher King » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:37 pm

[01]

I killed process: audiodg.exe
Restarted ableton live 8.2.6: It crashed on startup

:(

[02]

I unplugged the USB Cable.
I killed process (in Task Manager): audiodg.exe
I plugged the USB Cable back in.
Restarted ableton live 8.2.6: and ...

It worked. That's made my day. Thanks guys for all your help. :) 8)

[All I then had to do was re-select my Quad-Capture from the Preferences in Ableton].

23kon

Post by 23kon » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:26 pm

Now that you've got a way to restart the soundcard without having to restart the machine you should also try to work out what makes it crash in the first place.

Recently when I was chopping up songs in Ableton Live for importing into a DJ app on iPad, whever i was trying to do a certain thing (cant remember what it was) it was crashing each time. It was something like moving a clip along timeline as it was playing or something.

Then you'll know when playing a live gig to avoid doing that haha.

Also good to have a backup cd of tunes to put on CD decks or mp3 player through mixer if venue has that setup already. Even 10 seconds of silence can seem like a lifetime when you are onstage and the point of everyones attention.