Touch-Able plus Live as a groove box/maschine alternative

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nav

Touch-Able plus Live as a groove box/maschine alternative

Post by Nav » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:01 pm

I'm really loving Touch-Able as a controller and have seen the APC40 used as a groove box workflow. Is this possible with Touch-Able and how would you go about it?

humnumb

Re: Touch-Able plus Live as a groove box/maschine alternative

Post by humnumb » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:19 pm

Just get Maschine. There's still nothing else like it.

Nav

Post by Nav » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:25 pm

If I had the money I would, but id like to use what I already have.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:56 pm

If you're already using an ipad with Ableton, I'd get griid as well for the clip midi sequencing.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Nav

Post by Nav » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:04 pm

How does that work Glitch?

23kon

Post by 23kon » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:28 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:If you're already using an ipad with Ableton, I'd get griid as well for the clip midi sequencing.
I was going to say something along those lines too.
The only negative about TouchAble is that it doesn't have a clip sequencer. I hope they introduce this in an upcoming release.

Other than the hyped "workflow" that Maschine claims to offer, you can pretty much do everything in Ableton (and more) and use TouchAble as your controller - it had drum pads, channel arm/record etc, volume levels etc plus hands on control of effects.

You can do a lot with it without ever having to touch the mouse so it's definitely easier "workflow" than just having ableton on a computer and a mouse.

Just wish it had damn clip sequencing as it is a great tool.
It allows you to program your sequences on the ipad in griid and it seems to give much more of a groove/experimental feel than trying to program sequences in ableton with a mouse on-screen.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:47 pm

23kon wrote:Other than the hyped "workflow" that Maschine claims to offer, you can pretty much do everything in Ableton (and more) and use TouchAble as your controller - it had drum pads, channel arm/record etc, volume levels etc plus hands on control of effects.
Maschine's workflow is definitely not hype. There's no equivalent in Live controllers that gives that level of mouse/computer screen free hands-on factor for the entirety of the experience that makes it feel like a self-contained unit. Touchable and Griid are getting there though.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:30 am

Nav wrote:How does that work Glitch?
Well griid is similar to touchable in that it's a clip matrix mirroring the clip view, and has similar mixer functions. It doesn;t have the same level of control as touchable (for example no device parameters or clip functions), but it does have a clip midi editor. It looks a lot like the midi editor in a clip on screen except you can enter notes and velocities by hand. It's pretty great. Excellent for drum rack sequencing especially (although I do use Maschine for drums...)

Nav

Post by Nav » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:03 am

Cool, good to hear about the clips sequencer in Griid.

Can you create a midi clip to enter the midi sequencing without touching the computer?

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Nav wrote:I'm really loving Touch-Able as a controller and have seen the APC40 used as a groove box workflow. Is this possible with Touch-Able and how would you go about it?
What do you mean when you say "groovebox" and what are you wanting it to do? Do you mean pattern-based music making with a mouse-less workflow that feels like you're using a self-contained hardware?

Nav

Post by Nav » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:34 pm

delicioso wrote:What do you mean when you say "groovebox" and what are you wanting it to do? Do you mean pattern-based music making with a mouse-less workflow that feels like you're using a self-contained hardware?

That is exactly what I mean!

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:58 pm

Nav wrote:Cool, good to hear about the clips sequencer in Griid.

Can you create a midi clip to enter the midi sequencing without touching the computer?
Yes you can.