Vintage emulating compressor. Good or bad?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rabalder

Vintage emulating compressor. Good or bad?

Post by Rabalder » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:00 pm

Im about to record my first official EP.
My sound is very analog and brutal. Its basically just moog products and acoustic drums.
All electronic sounds are pretty much left alone without any eq or compression.

I havnt done alot of mixing, but from my earlier recordings Ive noticed that my drums always sound way to clean.
I thought Id try some vintage emulating compressor plugins with a lot of dirt and noise etc..
Im havnt got tons of experience with compressors, but enough to make them (almost) sound the way I want..

A simple compressor with very few knobs would be good.
I want my drums to sound dirty and filthy. They need to match the raw moog-sound..

Ive been looking at plugs from psp and waves, but dont really know if this will do me any good based on the fact that I havnt got too much experience with mixing..

The music is sort of industrial, experimental and heavy.. Hardrock vs moog :?

Any tips would be highly appreciated.

bicarbone

Re: Vintage emulating compressor. Good or bad?

Post by bicarbone » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:13 pm

Maybe you want more something like tape emulation, which provides both compression and saturation? There are quite a few plugins that do it well: Kramer MPX (waves) the Otari modellisation by UAD, Duy Tape, and others I haven't heard in action...
|soundcloud|

MBP 2.2 GHz i7 quad 10.7.5 8GB ram | Live9suite | Reaper | Metric Halo ULN-2 + DSP | PSI A21-M active monitors | Littlepapercones passive speakers | Studer 169 analog mixer

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:17 pm

PSP mixsaturator has a tape mode that's really good on drums.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:15 pm

The Kramer tape saturation plugins are on sale I think, 50% off. If you're gonna buy Waves plugins, the signature stuff is pretty nice, although I don't really like their update plan, kinda hate it actually.

Try Lives compressor in Opto mode w/ a soft knee, it's really pretty great. Also you can use Saturator to add some grit.

On a side note, even if you don't like to use much EQ, you should still high pass filter the low end of anything that doesn't need a lot of low end. Free up that space for the kick & bass synth.

necho

Post by necho » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:42 pm

Or if you want cheapness, how about AudioDamage's RoughRiderPro?

I like using it for fucking drums up proper.
_________
sigs suck.

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:18 pm

Record your drums loud through your moog - drive the filter and remove freqs.
If you can get the sound with your drums and moogs - go for it - fuck the plugs (except basic delays etc, that is allowed)

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:45 am

I'm with flowdesigner

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:48 am

Analog emulator is matter of your taste not sound quality. No one can tell whether you'll like it or not. Believe your ear.

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:52 am

pencilrocket wrote:Analog emulator is matter of your taste not sound quality. No one can tell whether you'll like it or not. Believe your ear.
Yes, the analogue saturation sound is either in vogue or not, seems out of vogue just now. I do like PSP VintageWarmer for all kinds of saturation work even if the built in Saturator in Ableton Live is pretty good.

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:32 am

Thanks a lot for all suggestions.
I will definitely use my foogers. Never tried it. Experimenting with the wet signal on some of them could probably do some weird shit and real damage. Cant wait!!!!!

As for plugins, the psp vitagewarmer is looking/sounding quite interesting.
With the foogers fattening up the sound, the onboard live compressor would probably be enough though.

REALLY looking forwards to this!!

Thanks again everybody!

d-track

Post by d-track » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:14 am

bad

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:19 am

Thanks for the insightful answer.

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:41 am

Plenty of good advice here. Recording through the moog sounds exciting! Let us know if it works out well. Ah, and give vinyl distortion and dynamic tube a go in live's built in FX. Have fun :)
|soundcloud|

MBP 2.2 GHz i7 quad 10.7.5 8GB ram | Live9suite | Reaper | Metric Halo ULN-2 + DSP | PSI A21-M active monitors | Littlepapercones passive speakers | Studer 169 analog mixer

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:14 pm

bicarbone wrote:Plenty of good advice here. Recording through the moog sounds exciting! Let us know if it works out well. Ah, and give vinyl distortion and dynamic tube a go in live's built in FX. Have fun :)
Will do!

Moody

Post by Moody » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:02 pm

Since outboard gear seems to be probable for a solution since you mentioned the foogers, I would suggest possibly an old inexpensive compressor such as the DBX118. These go for cheap and are amazing for adding dirt and punch. Additionally they are one knob wonders... two actually, one for compression and one for expansion. Turning the knobs and getting the circuits to work against each other produces some very interesting results for coloring sound. Anyways, good luck on your search.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.