Touchable's Device Snap function appreciation thread

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ikeaboy

Touchable's Device Snap function appreciation thread

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:56 pm

It's simple (to use anyway) and for live performance with controllers it's amazing for fills, variations, tweaking with all fingers and knowing it's all going to snap back to the way it was.

I would love a snap function for all my controllers. Holding a button on the APC40 activates a snap function. Konkreet performer should have it too. Please please smart max patchers and software designers get this function in your gear.

Sibanger

Re: Touchable's Device Snap function appreciation thread

Post by Sibanger » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:51 am

I love this function ikeaboy :)

It works great controlling 8 (or more, but 8's good) parameters at once.

I have had a few crashes with this function...rare, but it's happened several times.
As soon as I hit the 'Snap' function button.....touchAble closes down. :x

Maybe the 'snap' function could be used like 'Kapture' in the future.....like a global snap 8)

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:38 am

ikeaboy wrote:It's simple (to use anyway) and for live performance with controllers it's amazing for fills, variations, tweaking with all fingers and knowing it's all going to snap back to the way it was.

I would love a snap function for all my controllers. Holding a button on the APC40 activates a snap function. Konkreet performer should have it too. Please please smart max patchers and software designers get this function in your gear.
You can do this if you have max for live by downloading Kapture. It lets you assign global snapshots to certain clips. So you can snap parameters back to a certain state by triggering the clip or the scene it's on.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:15 pm

When it works anyway. Sadly I've found all too often Kapture doesnt reset all controls the way it's supposed to.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:47 pm

@Sibanger. Yeah I get crashes with Snap too but not enough to turn me off it and I expect they're ironing this out as I've seen other people posting about it. I really should add my voice to that and send them details of my crashes but I'm a lazy bastard when it comes to reporting bugs :oops:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:
ikeaboy wrote:It's simple (to use anyway) and for live performance with controllers it's amazing for fills, variations, tweaking with all fingers and knowing it's all going to snap back to the way it was.

You can do this if you have max for live by downloading Kapture. It lets you assign global snapshots to certain clips. So you can snap parameters back to a certain state by triggering the clip or the scene it's on.
Hi, yeah I'm not too enamored with Kapture.It's not nearly snappy (ha pun!) enough on my 2007 MBP. Also it has been modifying settings inside my rack sets ups when it shouldn't. I had a complicated midi rack with two Instanthaus and a couple of dozen midi effects that would feed racked D16 drum machines. Even though Kapture (Pad) should be only be looking at the rack parameters, internal parameters were being changed because my rack stopped working. I love the idea of Kapture but, sadly, it doesn't work for me. Maybe I need to try the standard version without the ipad app.

kooperativ

Post by kooperativ » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:37 pm

@ikeaboy: just describe it here - we're listening :D
we found and fixed some issues with snapmode - but let's make sure your crashes are fixed as well.
Are there any repeatable steps you can take to get it to crash? Any special devices or parameters?

And cheers for the appreciation thread!! :)
Chris / touchAble

PS: 1.3 will include snapmode on Mixer, Crossfader & the new native templates we're adding!

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:45 pm

kooperativ wrote:@ikeaboy: just describe it here - we're listening :D
we found and fixed some issues with snapmode - but let's make sure your crashes are fixed as well.
Are there any repeatable steps you can take to get it to crash? Any special devices or parameters?

And cheers for the appreciation thread!! :)
Chris / touchAble

PS: 1.3 will include snapmode on Mixer, Crossfader & the new native templates we're adding!
That's great news about snap mode making it to different sections, bravo. There's one rack I have that crashes it most often. It's all midi devices, including two parallel Instant haus devices has many many sub racks with lots of all the Live midi plugins bar the arpeggiator. All the sub devices interact with the main 8 macros in some form. It's basically an eight macro beat generator and using Snap to create variations with faster than midi timing works great (feels a bit like a hardware dj mixer crossfader as regards tight timing) but it does tend to crash more than other racks I use. Also Touchable's device editor doesn't seem to get on with Linplugs Relectro (even when racked), which itself is a very new vst so maybe the fault lies there?? all other crashes are hard to predict but at least I can get back up and running with very little delay.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:21 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:

I have used both, (and still do) but I really love the way the snap function works. It's really good to 'jam' out with instant satisfaction.
Love the workflow with 8/16 macros and Snap :D
Sibanger wrote:I love this function ikeaboy :)

It works great controlling 8 (or more, but 8's good) parameters at once.

Maybe the 'snap' function could be used like 'Kapture' in the future.....like a global snap 8)
8O :arrow: 8)

I can only see this getting better :D