hey MPC guys... just a quick question....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mr.ergonomics

hey MPC guys... just a quick question....

Post by mr.ergonomics » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:30 pm

I ask myself if the note repeat function from an mpc is synchronised to a grid or not.

that means when you press a pad with 1/16 note repeat, are the notes on the 1/16 grid, or are they shifted to the grid equal to the first triggered note (that means the other notes are just triggered continuously 1/16 note after the first one)?

do you get my point?

best regards

aizo

Re: hey MPC guys... just a quick question....

Post by aizo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:41 pm

they are synced with the bpm. they quantize to the nearest 16th (for example). If you push it out of time it will delay it and play 16ths on the beat. It will never be out of time.
ImageImage

blakbeltjonez

Re: hey MPC guys... just a quick question....

Post by blakbeltjonez » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:55 pm

it's synced to both BPM and whatever you have the quantize rate set to... 1/8, 1/8t, 1/16, 1/16t, etc, etc. - the note repeat always resolves in time with whatever's playing, as aizo said.

it's impossible to play a note that's out of time, although you can come in too early or too late if you are rhythmically challenged (physically, that is...). then the repeated notes will not sound right musically, although technically it's right on the money.

same thing applies with the end of the repeat if it ends too soon or is a shade too long, but it's easy enough to fix operator errors via step edit.