Audio file editor

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Davo

Audio file editor

Post by Davo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:00 pm

This is about audio, not music...
I want to create some stereo audio files of clicks and buzzes to test people's ability to localize sound source. The human brain uses a number of mechanisms to locate sound source, including differences of amplitude in each ear and the time of arrival of the sound at each ear (sound takes longer to arrive if the source is further from the ear). I want to record some clicks and buzzes in stereo, then edit one track of the stereo audio file to increase amplitude of one track or insert an exact amount of time to delay that side of the stereo sound. can anyone suggest an audio editor that can do these things please? Alternatively, I could record in mono, create a copy, modify the copy, then create a stereo audio file by combining the original mono and it's copy into a stereo audio file. Can you suggest an editor that combine audio files into stereo like this? I like free software.

Tarekith

Re: Audio file editor

Post by Tarekith » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Mac or PC?

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:09 pm

I think Live can actually do this, although it isn't really an editor per se.

I'd give Audacity a try. It's free and cross platform, although I find the interface a bit clunky here and there.

23kon

Post by 23kon » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:59 pm

Warrior Bob wrote:I think Live can actually do this, although it isn't really an editor per se.

I'd give Audacity a try. It's free and cross platform, although I find the interface a bit clunky here and there.
+1

Audacity is a great FREE program.
---

Davo

Post by Davo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:23 am

Warrior Bob wrote:I think Live can actually do this, although it isn't really an editor per se.

Thanks I will try Audacity first. I have a PC, not Mac. This isn't really a music/audio production question. but I thought that people in this forum would have a good idea about what the available editors can do.