Lion Compatibility so far?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Khazul

Lion Compatibility so far?

Post by Khazul » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:26 pm

I'm thinking of sticking it on my main DAW MBP and co-producer was probably have t when he gets his shiney new machine. 8O

I have it installed on a test boot drive which was an upgrade clone of my snow leopard install. Im not seeing obvious problems at the moment however TBH I havnt used it that extensively for audio work yet and dont suppose I will till I take the plunge. The plan is to image my drive and upgrade snow leopard - at worst hopefully I can just restore back if it all goes to hell.

So I'm curious as to how people are getting on with it who have taken the plunge with the following software and hardware (assuming latest versions of all):
Live Suite 8.2.6 onwards
Komplete 7 (8 ultimate from tomorrow hopefully)
Kore 2 (not that this matters anymore - Grrr @ NI - bastards!)
reFx Nexus
Vengence multiband
Spectransonics plugins
Sylenth1
uHe ACE
Alchemy and other older Camel audio stuff
D16 plugins
2c Audio (Aether/Breeze)
Waves (only Kramer MPX)
Access Virus Control
RME USB and FW series audio interfaces (we have UFX and a FF400)
NI Audio interfaces (Have several of them)
NI Maschine (1.7)
NI Traktor & X1
SPL plugins
SSL plugins
fabFilter plugins
IK Multimedia CSR, T-Racks, ARC (I know - its a challenge to have this working on any OS - latency comp seems to often be an issue)
iZotope plugins
Rob Papen plugins (RP-Verb, RP-Delay)
112dB red line series
Korg M1 plugin
Novation bassstation plugin
Voxego plugins (fond them to be dodgy at best of time anyway - latency comp seem to often be an issue)
Audio damage plugins (EOS and Dubstation)
Melodyne editor
Pace iLok
eLicenser
Reason 6
Cubase 6
Logic 9

(Never realised how much shit we got between us till going through it and checking for upgrades - urg!)

Also feel free to post about other stuff too - might be useful to have all this in one place - this is just the stuff we care about on the OSX machines.

Cheers!
Nothing to see here - move along!

glitchrock-buddha

Re: Lion Compatibility so far?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:02 pm

I've got about half the stuff on that list and it's all working fine with Lion. I never had a problem with a single plug-in. The only things I had to wait for before upgrading was Ableton Live and Novation Automap. So it's mainly hosts and remote server type software that you have to watch for.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:39 pm

More or less what I figured - just sanity checking before taking the plunge.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:55 pm

Been working fine here, only issue I had was with old RND Inspector XL installers being PPC, the actual plug ins themselves worked fine.

Might want to check and make sure you're using the latest Voxengo plug ins too, I use them a lot and Aleksey has done a lot of work the last few months quashing the latency issues.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:08 pm

Cheers for that - the latency randomizer is making them near unuseable - especially as its the PHA-whatever phase adjuster plugin I use - a bit pointless when the latency is random ;)

milosh

Post by milosh » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:34 am

Is it worth upgrading to OSX Lion anyway?
What are the benefits of the upgrade?
I've just bought MBP 13" i5 and wanted to upgrade the system to OSX Lion but after reading some mixed reviews I have some doubts.
People talk that it slows down the system, MacBooks eat the battery faster and such things.
Is it true? What is your experience people?

thanks for help

cheers

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:49 pm

milosh wrote: People talk that it slows down the system, MacBooks eat the battery faster and such things.
Is it true?
No, not true. Unless you have soundcard or whatever gear that is not supported there are lots of benefits. For me worth just the gestures (great for DAW) and airdrop.

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:12 pm

What I really fantasize about is ableton or apple for that matter, parsing and mining their crash and log-in data, and publishing the known incompatibilities. What are all these crashes good for anyways? Why keep the results private? Take a tally of commonalities between people's crashes, report the level of confidence in the data, and make crash reporting a collective effort. Heck, there's an app store now. Why couldn't OSX come with a "registry" of the latest status, updates, and conflicts for applications, drivers, plug-ins, extensions, preference panes, etc?

Instead, I have my list of plug-ins as well, and I'm about to post a support question for each one of them. The Automat AU plugin, just for example, is now crashing in Reaper. What else might be trouble out there?

There's also the question as to whether the latest updates in ableton, in accommodating Lion, will make these plug-ins in question even less stable if they're not fully supported in Lion. In other words, if you continue to update ableton, nonetheless staying on an earlier cat, are you going to screw up your template sets that depend on the plug-ins in question? I'm in 8.2.2 and not going anywhere just yet.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:28 pm

milosh wrote:Is it worth upgrading to OSX Lion anyway?
What are the benefits of the upgrade?
I've just bought MBP 13" i5 and wanted to upgrade the system to OSX Lion but after reading some mixed reviews I have some doubts.
People talk that it slows down the system, MacBooks eat the battery faster and such things.
Is it true? What is your experience people?
I'd say it's worth the money JUST for being able to 4-finger swipe between full screen Live, and my MOTU cuemix interface mixer! SO much easier. Just hope the Abes officially support it soon by giving me a fullscreen arrow and pop down menus so I can access "recently opened..." etc, without having to switch back to normal view, then back to fullscreen.

* Not noticed any slowdowns of any kind.
* Window control and Spaces access is much improved; I used to use Spaces sometimes because it was super useful, but often turned it off for simplicity. Now it's all smoothly integrated with flips of fingers.
* Some of the gestures are changed for the worse but you can put them back in settings menu, and still keep the useful new ones.
* You can no longer pinch to zoom in Finder. WHY? That was kinda useful and it's not a gesture used for anything else, and still works in Safari/iPhoto etc! Silly Apple.
* Using SL and having to resize by the bottom right corner now makes me angry
* I now also wonder why I can't Alt-drag resize in MS Windows at work to resize in all directions at once too!
* Defaults to scrolling in the opposite direction (you "push" the page up). But you can easily switch back to the old way ("pull the scroll wheel down"). I left mine on the new default which took a little getting used to to begin with, but now I'm totally used to it and I get confused on my wife's macbook!

Basically I just find it nicer to use overall. If you like and use Expose and/or Spaces a lot at the moment to navigate between windows then you'll get a lot of mileage. If you insist on plugging in a 2-button mouse then you're missing half the reason and multiplying your OS navigation time by at least an order of magnitude!

I don't use any plugins so can't comment on that, but Live's been stable as ever (except for my repeatable crash when I perform a certain order of events, but I guess the Abes are still working on that one...)

Akasha

Post by Akasha » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:01 pm

lions fine for me with 8.2.6 and komplete 7 stability wise. I like it for the multiple desktops = full screen everything! but sometimes live will open its messages into whatever desktop I'm currently in instead of the desktop its operating in. Not really an issue unless it's hiding behind something else...

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:46 am

Oh God!! I dont even wanna think about this! The amount of VST's I use is honestly just ridiculous! I'll be buying a new MBP before christmas! I'll keep an eye on this thread thanx

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:23 am

The only issue I've had with Lion is Cakewalk Rapture and Dimension Pro...they both use Rosetta, support for which was dropped in Lion, so I couldn't even get them to install. Cakewalk has zero to offer when pressed as to when a workable option would be available...so far, their official line is that these synths are simply not supported in Lion.

Which is a real bummer for those of us who bought a recent Mac that came preinstalled with Lion.

milosh

Post by milosh » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:24 am

Thank you for the useful info.
I think I will give Lion a chance :)

cheers

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:25 pm

Anyone using RME express card interface with Lion to any degree of success?

trevox

Post by trevox » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:56 pm

The lack of Rosetta is the only really annoying thing. I have no way of editing my Nord Modular G1 on my MBP. In fact, (not Rosetta related), my NM G2 editor also does not work and I have no idea why. I have my work (windows) laptop set up at my workstation with a KVM switch, so I just use that for all my Nord needs.

Apart from that, I agree with most of what is written. All plugins work for me without issue (Waves. Sonnox, URS, Komplete among others). Full screen apps and the new gestures are such a massive improvement over anything I have used before. I need to buy a magic trackpad though as I tuck my MBP away in the studio rather than it taking up room in front of me. I have a six button mouse, but it's just not the same.