Lion Compatibility so far?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
strode420

Re: Lion Compatibility so far?

Post by strode420 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:27 pm

Mine's been crashing Ableton nearly once per session in Lion . Luckily each time i've re-opened, I haven't lost any work at all. However, at least one track that was originally set to "In" pre-crash will then be set to "Auto" when I re-open the program, and i have to go through and figure out which one it is.
Imac 27" 3.4ghz i7 16gb 10.7.4
MBP 15" 2.16ghz CoreDuo 2gb 10.6.8
Logic 9.1.7 & Suite 8.2.7 w/ M4L
MOTU 828mkII firewire
Serato SL3, (2) 1200 M3D's & (1) CDJ800 w/ Ecler Evo4
Keystation 88 Pro, padKontrol w/ Farmpad, Launchpad

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:59 pm

Well nearly a couple of months after switching over. I endded reformatting and reinstalling everything - mainly just so I could move stuff around rather than due to anything not working right.

General perception is all the plugins I had before all still work - in some cases that might be down to updating to latest versions. Upgraded to komplete 8 along the way as well.

Live stabilty doesnt seem quite as good - just the drag and drop UI crash seems a little more frequent, but still not as often as on win7.
Performance - seems near identical under normal use, but some heavy load projects that I know are right on upper limit of the machine now need the buffer size cranking a tiny bit to still play OK (Incidently - this was about the perceived difference between 10.6 and win7/64 - ie OSX 10.6 could manage slighly higher CPU load - maybe couple of %), however more than likely this is just down to having sample libraries on an external FW800 drive now instead on the internal 750GB scorpio black which is a fast drive.

UI wise - like the changes - new gestures etc. Magic mouse seems better behaved in some ways, less so in others, though by now Ive got so used to the trackpad it doesnt really matter. No driver problems at all with the RME and NI audio interfaces nor any of my controllers, dongles and other crap. Traktor works fine too. Cubase, Logic, Reason etc all fine as well.

Just wish ableton would finally do something about the illegal address exceptions you sometimes get on both platforms when dragging in plugins.
Nothing to see here - move along!

interpolate

Post by interpolate » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:52 pm

For what its worth...

You can add me to the list of people having absolutely no problems with Lion thus far. Currently practicing 2-3 hours each day with Ableton 8.2.6, Max4Live, Komplete 7, Fabfilter Creative Suite, Virus...

I still download the occasional plugin to try to the demos, and I haven't noticed anything saying "sorry you can't do this because you have lion"

I have actually been experiencing less-to-no crashes. I currently can't think of anything that has been crashing.

(I also have paid for all my products, some of my buddies who *ahem* borrow software in snow leopard are reporting frequent crashes in Ableton)
Ableton Suite 8 & Max4Live

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:35 pm

As far as I know there is still a bug with MIDI Track In with Lion and Live 8.2.x - see http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 2#p1339312 & http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 28&start=0

maxgraham

Nexus in Lion

Post by maxgraham » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:08 pm

i just moved over from 10.6 to 10.7 and nexus has asked me to repoint it to the testtone and license. No sounds show up. Installing the paid for expansions only
gives me a message saying not enough room on my HD which is incorrect.

anyone else having issues with Lion and Nexus?
thanks

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:22 pm

The bug with incoming MIDI I mentioned above appears to be fixed:
Live 8.2.8 Release Notes wrote:Bugfixes: - Receiving MIDI CCs on a MIDI track’s input was causing a high CPU load on OS X Lion.