Getting Permission to use Vocals

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
theoriva

Getting Permission to use Vocals

Post by theoriva » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:11 pm

Hello guys,

I have an acapella version of one of my favorite songs and decided to make a remix.
The problem is that probably there are copyrights involved which I do not now anything about.
Can somebody guide me in what I need to do to get permission in using them from the label without getting in to trouble?

any help would be appreciated.

H20nly

Re: Getting Permission to use Vocals

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:14 pm

you contact the label directly.

you'll probably want to have your wallet ready though unless you have concocted a story about how this vocal sample will be saving the children, feeding the hungry and fighting AIDS.

on the flip side, if you don't sell, redistribute the work at all, claim it is your own... and make no money off of the track in any way, you probably don't have much to worry about.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

23kon

Post by 23kon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:00 pm

He's right. As long as you are not making money off it or claiming it as your own then you should be cool.

There are copyright companies that you can contact who will clear stuff for you for a small cost.
I cant remember the name of the company, it was years ago i looked into it.
---

theoriva

Post by theoriva » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:50 am

thanks guys,

I will try emailing the Label although I guess they're going to ask for a lot of cash. :arrow:

23kon

Post by 23kon » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:47 pm

if it's a good remix you've done then why not try getting in touch with the star directly if possible?
if they like it then they have the power to give you permission over the record company.

if they use twitter, sign up to follow them then send em an @
---

maxgraham

Post by maxgraham » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:08 pm

Make it, play it out and give it to the big dj's. If it starts circulating and generating buzz then contact the original label (if they haven't contacted you already) and they will make a deal to release it.

worked for me with Owner of a Lonely Heart :)
23kon wrote:if it's a good remix you've done then why not try getting in touch with the star directly if possible?
if they like it then they have the power to give you permission over the record company.
Also this is not quite true, more often than not the record label owns the rights unless the star is willing to re-sing it.

blakbeltjonez

Post by blakbeltjonez » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:01 pm

unless it's something high profile, i really wouldn't worry too much about it. if somehow it becomes successful enough to be an issue, you can contact the label, or they will have already contacted you with either a "cease and desist" or alternately some kind of arrangement for a legitimate release.

at that point, you are negotiating in reverse and with little to no leverage on your side, but that's better than nothing at all. you may get a little something out of it, or nothing other than brief notoriety and some extra DJ bookings.

the record company typically owns the rights to the recorded work, not the artist.

footsy

Post by footsy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:07 pm

H20nly wrote:you'll probably want to have your wallet ready though unless you have concocted a story about how this vocal sample will be saving the children, feeding the hungry and fighting AIDS.
LOL facebook statused

can I have permission? I did put it in quotations.
"A Positive mind is the Key to success" - Tydi

23kon

Post by 23kon » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:37 pm

---

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:07 am

footsy wrote:
H20nly wrote:you'll probably want to have your wallet ready though unless you have concocted a story about how this vocal sample will be saving the children, feeding the hungry and fighting AIDS.
LOL facebook statused

can I have permission? I did put it in quotations.
:D link, or it didn't happen...

footsy

Post by footsy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:41 am

H20nly wrote:
:D link, or it didn't happen...
It's okay, my sim on sim social (on facebook) is stealing sound samples off the radio (literally, the action is called "steal samples" :D
"A Positive mind is the Key to success" - Tydi

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:24 am

Nowt to do with remixing parse though I sometimes visit ccmixter.org for creative commons vocals/accapelas.

Can be a bit Like "*Insert Country*'s Got Talent" but there are some that are good.

w.

theoriva

Post by theoriva » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:44 am

WoW!

thank you for all your replys guys.
I have learned so much. :D :D :D

Post by 102455 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:20 pm

If you look at some of these videos, there's stuff covering remix work if I remember correctly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/introducing/ ... lass/2011/