iMaschine is out!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dave999z

Re: iMaschine is out!

Post by dave999z » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:28 am

I'm going to gve it a go. The biggest thing lacking from nanostudio is that it can't record audio tracks.

If I'm looking basically for something like nanostudio but with multitrack audio recording, is there anything other than imaschine worth checking out?

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:45 pm

It hasn't gotten very good reviews in the app store. :(
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

dave999z

Post by dave999z » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:05 pm

simpleton wrote:It hasn't gotten very good reviews in the app store. :(
??? There aren't any reviews yet, good or bad.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:36 pm

I've got it. That's the thing about these 5 dollar apps, you buy just to try it. Most of these music apps I'll never use.

iMaschine is definitely very responsive and playable and the fact that you can export to Maschine is the main reason I bought it. I'm pretty disappointed in the feature set though. It just doesn't come anywhere close to Beatmaker or Nanostudio. You really can't do anything at all to the drum sounds except change pitch. No editing, no sequencer, barely any effects. The layout is good and it has potential but you're really stuck banging on premade sounds, not much flexibility for customizations.
Professional Shark Jumper.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:54 pm

IP wrote:Android = no love when it comes to music production
Fixed.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:15 pm

They've done it again. They brought the same focus on fast workflow and ease of use that makes Maschine so great to the touchscreen. It certainly has lots of room to grow (I'd like to see step mode. Perhaps on the native iPad version?) but it feels very well thought out. I like that NI has gone in this direction instead of the all-in-one studio approach of Nanostudio and Beatmaker. While I love Nanostudio, it does tend to get a bit fiddly. I'm more likely to open up what I came up with while on the go into Maschine to finish it up. It's the perfect mobile sketch pad for Maschine.

IP

Post by IP » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:09 pm

humnumb wrote:
IP wrote:Android = no love when it comes to music production
Fixed.
Android is great and there are way more powerful devices that ipads/phones etc.
Its all about the guys who are making the apps imo.

ANyway, if they want my money they need to make an android version :mrgreen:

lethal_pizzle

Post by lethal_pizzle » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:13 pm

IP wrote:Android is great and there are way more powerful devices that ipads/phones etc.
Its all about the guys who are making the apps imo.
You're right on all counts.

So, until Android gets an API that makes it easy to achieve low latency audio, app makers won't bother writing low-level code for multiple hardware configurations, and Android will continue to be the poor relation to iOS.

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:31 am

delicioso wrote:They've done it again. They brought the same focus on fast workflow and ease of use that makes Maschine so great to the touchscreen.

Do you work for NI or are you peddling their stuff free of charge?

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:21 am

Does anyone know if it supports Sonoma's or Intua's Audio Copy/Paste? I've found that apps that support it to be way more useful when trying to come up with ideas on the iPhone. If it does it'd fit perfectly in my workflow.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

o0o

Post by o0o » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:27 am

I notice that people who don't use maschine are the most critical of it, interesting debate. At least Glitch's objectivity as a user is worth listening to. As someone who does not have a maschine I can only wonder why so many others who don't use it are so vocal about it.
rabbit

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:33 am

skatr2 wrote:Do you work for NI or are you peddling their stuff free of charge?
Do you work for Ableton or are you being a shill free of charge?

rosti

Post by rosti » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:51 am

Got the iMaschine last night. Very fun and intuitive to use but i feel that there is a need for further editing and effecting capabilities. Maby adding 2 or 3 effects busses with 2 or 3 slots per pad group, more effects and some envelopes and a filter to the keyboard instrument...

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:05 am

IP wrote:Android is great and there are way more powerful devices that ipads/phones etc.

Way more powerful? Such as?

:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:21 pm

[quote="humnumb"][quote="skatr2"]Do you work for NI or are you peddling their stuff free of charge?[/quote]
Do you work for Ableton or are you being a shill free of charge?[/quote]

Actually I use ableton and post on their forums. But on a serious note I see a LOT of posts by del about all the advantages of maschine and he even said at one point he doesn't even use ableton anymore...just exclusively maschine. So it made me wonder why he's even here? I dont blindly support software...But I dont spend my time on forums promoting their competitors either. Even a little class would show if the discussion was focused on on the integration and benefits of the two together and not the superiority one over the other. but thanks for your input humnumb...seem like a real classy standup guy.