Project won't open

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tobybennett

Project won't open

Post by tobybennett » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:41 pm

I just closed a project after working on it and when I tried to re-open it, it just crashes. Is there a way to open Live with plug-ins disabled? Any remedy is welcome as I really need to open this project.
Thanks!!!

Mac, latest version of Live (tried opening it with 8.2.7b with no luck)

mholloway

Re: Project won't open

Post by mholloway » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:44 pm

one workaround is to find the session folder in ableton's browser, look inside, and start dragging the individual channels (they will all show up) into a new session to re-create the faulty session. most likely this will also reveal which plugin (most likely culprit) is causing the crash, because when you drag the relevant channel in, it will crash again.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:41 am

I had the same problem and renamed the whole VST-Root-Folder. Then I could load the project again and I knew that the crash was caused by a VST-Plugin. In the next step I renamed the VST-Folder back to the original name and then renamed some of the vst-dlls to *.dlx. So Ableton will not load them.
I found the bad VST but it was a long Iteration!
So I think the method of tobybennett is even better!

esky

Post by esky » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:06 pm

I had a similar problem with corrupt M4L files. Send your project file to ableton support, they will help you.

dazexus

Post by dazexus » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:57 pm

This thread saved my ass on a deadline today cheers! (being able to drag in the contents from another projects folder)

infrared72

Post by infrared72 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:37 pm

Sorry if I'm trolling/resurrecting an old post but this method of disabling all the VST plugins allowed me to open a remix project from 2012 today. Thanks for sharing this tip.

Peter Teipe
Diopter
www.diopter.org

Risorius

Post by Risorius » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:12 pm

mholloway wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:44 pm
one workaround is to find the session folder in ableton's browser, look inside, and start dragging the individual channels (they will all show up) into a new session to re-create the faulty session. most likely this will also reveal which plugin (most likely culprit) is causing the crash, because when you drag the relevant channel in, it will crash again.

-M
yeah, I did that, and can restore the this way the project, BUT! when I save the restored project I can't open it again :)
and by dragging the channels, none of them creates freezing of the ableton...