Recording videos for Youtube.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pedroschki

Recording videos for Youtube.

Post by pedroschki » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:21 am

Was thinking about putting a few videos up on youtube, always appreciate watching other people's stuff, good way of getting ideas, etc.

What's the best way of doing it so it's reasonable quality? What sort of quality webcam do I need - anyone got any recommendations? Also, how does the video sync to the audio? Would I just open the video in Live once it's recorded and drag it around so it matches up? Never looked into this before and couldn't find much specific info on t'internet...so any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers.

JuanSOLO

Re: Recording videos for Youtube.

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:15 pm

There's some different stuff out there, but I do it with quicktimePro. Make a screencapture recording. This will record your screen and your built-in mic. I usually record to a track in Ableton as well with "resampling" When I'm done I mix all the pieces together. For that I use video editing software, but you could use Ableton for that as well.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:03 pm

I use a Panasonic GH2 and a Sound Devices 302 field mixer. I do the video editing in Final Cut Studio, and the audio mix in Ableton Live 8. I just got Pro Tools 9, and I might start using that for some post sound mixing. I'm sure I'll continue to use Live for sound design stuff that isn't possible with Pro Tools. But I finally gave in and got Pro Tools. It's still the king of the post world, so I decided to start using it. I'm sure that I'll remain a Live user at my core.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:18 pm

I record using a Logitech webcam on my laptop with the native recording app, do all my music stuff at my desktop, then just drop the file into Ableton and sync up the two.

savyurrecords

Post by savyurrecords » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:39 pm

Don't forget to clap on video/audio or something like it to help you sync the beginnings together. Sure I can do it without but having a slate is standard and it makes it super easy.

matthews

Post by matthews » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:59 pm

If you just want to upload something audio based onto youtube and don't necessarily care about the "video" aspect, check out IMuTube.

http://code.google.com/p/imutube/

Essentially, you drag an mp3/wav/aiff and a picture into one folder and run the encoder. It then creates a high quality (for youtube anyways) MKV that's optimized for youtube with your audio and the chosen picture.