Getting Ableton To Work on a Lion Hackintosh

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
friend_kami

Re: Getting Ableton To Work on a Lion Hackintosh

Post by friend_kami » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:27 pm

Opz wrote:People never realise it isn't just about 'specs', it's how the OS that's tailored to it handles the hardware and everything in between. People make great music using Atari ST's and 486 machines. Specs don't say shite..

Can't even imagine why you shouldn't leave it a Win7 machine. Audio can be exchanged, machines can be synced, macs can access it simply by ethernet/wifi and there's amazing software for Windows that isn't available for OSX. Nothing wrong with Lion (I use it on my old mbp and I'm preparing a live performance with it), but Snow Leopard is still preferred by many. And why use an illegal OS when you can have the legal thing just by leaving it the way it was? Or did you obtain Windows illegally also?

You post your benchmarks and in the meantime I'll be using that wasted time to do something productive.
Have fun with your Hackintosh and I hope for you that it won't give you any troubles in the future but instead gets you to make actual music on it.
fyi, if you buy osx retail it's not illegal if you stick an apple sticker on to your enclosure.
that saide, you make a good point about the os. too bad it actually makes the argument FOR hackintoshing justified; i was running a hackintosh for a pretty long time before my computer finally died on me (was just a matter of time, poor old half burnt dell shit), and the os was exactly the number one reason why i wanted one. now i am about to start saving up for a real mac, but case in point: he might be wanting a hackintosh for the os alone. there's numerous of software available for osx only which are pretty much indispensable for some musicians, and the alternatives available for windows is just plain shit in comparison. there's two reasons to wanting to r un osx even though you don't have the hardware.

want more? osx is built upon freebsd and, as opposed to windows, is not singleclient and is not dependant of dll locked drivers and other shit that can potentially crash your entire computer for no apaprent reason other than sheer programming stupidity. also, it's really made for multitasking, both the way it handles processes and the way it handles software on the gUI side of the operating system. the filesystem is another thing to consider.

oh, and yes, it actually is about specs. if you could get a build that rivals the most specced out macpro for half the price, what is stopping you from getting two of them and double your capacity for the same price? if you were to do some research about hackintoshing i'm pretty sure that you would change your mind, or at the least get a new perspective.

there's also the other reason: tinkering. some people (like myself) got into hackintoshing for the very reason that it could be done and because it was interesting to delve into making custom kexts and dig deep into the subsystems.

but you know, the world is black and white. right?
*yawn*

Ub373NNN

Post by Ub373NNN » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:34 pm

we go recording vocals into the hackintosh last months.

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:40 pm

For the record, Live is more stable under Windows 7 (64 bit).
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:09 pm

simpleton wrote:For the record, Live is more stable under Windows 7 (64 bit).
not for me. :p

Opz

Post by Opz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:24 am

friend_kami wrote:
fyi, if you buy osx retail it's not illegal if you stick an apple sticker on to your enclosure.
FYI, it's clear to me that you've never read Apple's UELA....
And this is about a Hackintosh with Lion, which you can't buy like previous Apple OS's. It can either be bought through the Apple Mac Store or on a USB flash drive. In both cases you break/void the UELA, so it doesn't matter what you say or think, you're using it illegally.
that saide, you make a good point about the os. too bad it actually makes the argument FOR hackintoshing justified; i was running a hackintosh for a pretty long time before my computer finally died on me (was just a matter of time, poor old half burnt dell shit), and the os was exactly the number one reason why i wanted one. now i am about to start saving up for a real mac,
There's no justified argument for using anything illegally. Save money to get the real deal... Ot CHOOSE to use something legally different.
but case in point: he might be wanting a hackintosh for the os alone.
Still no reason to use it illegally. And the experience will never be the same thing. Just because you run the Mac OS, it doesn't mean it has the same experience as running real thing without having to put in the effort to get the thing running properly all of the time in the first place without having to 'fix' it every now and then.
there's numerous of software available for osx only which are pretty much indispensable for some musicians, and the alternatives available for windows is just plain shit in comparison
Just name a few that are indispensable...
there's two reasons to wanting to r un osx even though you don't have the hardware.
want more? osx is built upon freebsd and, as opposed to windows, is not singleclient and is not dependant of dll locked drivers and other shit that can potentially crash your entire computer for no apaprent reason other than sheer programming stupidity. also, it's really made for multitasking, both the way it handles processes and the way it handles software on the gUI side of the operating system.
Just a bunch of nonsense.. As if real macs don't ever crash or have software that never crashes. For instance, Adobe software sucks kind of no matter what platform you're on. There are numerous benchmarks which show that for certain programs Win7 outperforms OSX. You should use Google some more to find out.
the filesystem is another thing to consider.
Give me some examples why there's any truth to that statement. A very big amount of 'power'users who have been using macs for a long time are unsatisfied with the ageing HFS filesystem and would have like to seen Apple switch so the ZFS or some other more current filesystem. NTFS is not that bad compared to HFS. You should read more about the HFS filesystem before you make statements like that. Ever heard of 'Repair Permissions' and that sort of nonsense just to be able to delete or edit files on the HFS filesystem?
oh, and yes, it actually is about specs. if you could get a build that rivals the most specced out macpro for half the price, what is stopping you from getting two of them and double your capacity for the same price?
The hassle of getting it up and running and maintaining the stability and that sort of thing. Like I said before, just because it 'out specs' a real mac doesn't mean you get the same experience in the long run. Whether you believe it or not, I know and don't care if you don't.
if you were to do some research about hackintoshing i'm pretty sure that you would change your mind, or at the least get a new perspective. there's also the other reason: tinkering. some people (like myself) got into hackintoshing for the very reason that it could be done and because it was interesting to delve into making custom kexts and dig deep into the subsystems.
No, I wouldn't have changed my mind. Been there and have done that whether you believe it or not. I don't care, it's not the same thing.
When you get a mac it's tailored to that specific hardware. When you take it out of the box, it does what's it's supposed to do. It doesn't have anything to do with what you want or believe it should do. Apple made their choice and it just works for what it was envisioned to do. Just because you feel otherwise doesn't make you right. Just because you want to customize it to your needs doesn't mean Apple made a wrong decision, it just means you're wanting something different than the original was meant to be. There's a reason why Apple by default doesn't allow you the access the real subsystem (which doesn't mean you can't change it by using the Terminal, because it's Unix in the end and you can change things if you know what you are doing).
No, it isn't. It's black and white and anything in between. But there are choices! You just want things that are just not meant to be like the way you envision them to be. You have the right to think differently, but it doesn't make you right in any way. Why not get a Linux distro or any other real open source Unix OS? Because that would take just to much real effort and you want it to be a fake mac because you feel it costs too much money to get the real thing and anything you build 'out specs' the real deal without you knowing what the real deal actually has to offer. Buying or building things on the basis of just specs is for FOOLS that don't know what they are talking about. You made yourself believe you are right by giving yourself the right to use things illegally just because you don't want to pay for the real thing and think you have the right to do as you please just because it 'out specs' something and more of those BS reasons. I don't care what BS argument you bring to the table to justify your BS opinion.

Yes, I may be very very blunt about this very specific topic. And don't think that I don't know what I'm talking about, whether you believe or not which I don't care about.
*yawn*
Yes, a big fukkin yawn to you as well...
Have a wonderful time with your Hackintosh!

5meohd

Post by 5meohd » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:38 am

:oops:

clearly this dude knows what he is talking about!

goooooooooo illegal installations of OSX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fuck apple. If I buy the OS its mine. .

on another note.. I purchased max4live today, installed everything on this wonderful windows 7 build... it crashed. :(

Opz

Post by Opz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:07 am

Woh! Amazes me how I could have written all that down while being quite drunk after watching the european football championship. Quite repetative as well and even spelled EULA wrong. lol at myself :)
5meohd wrote: fuck apple. If I buy the OS its mine.
It is yours, but you don't have the right to install it on a non-mac. When you bought it, you agreed with the eula.
Psystar said the same thing at the courthouse, the judge didn't seem to agree though.
on another note.. I purchased max4live today, installed everything on this wonderful windows 7 build... it crashed. :(
That's a bummer. Still, it could have crashed just the same on a mac.
I bought M4L a while back, but I don't know how it runs on my mac nowadays. I don't ever use it :)

Opz

Post by Opz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:27 am

5meohd wrote: fuck apple. If I buy the OS its mine.
So from Ableton Live's point of view; you bought it, it's yours.
So do you void this as well?
http://www.ableton.com/pages/faq/license#faq_1_link

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:18 pm

Opz wrote:
friend_kami wrote:
FYI, it's clear to me that you've never read Apple's UELA....
And this is about a Hackintosh with Lion, which you can't buy like previous Apple OS's. It can either be bought through the Apple Mac Store or on a USB flash drive. In both cases you break/void the UELA, so it doesn't matter what you say or think, you're using it illegally.
that saide, you make a good point about the os. too bad it actually makes the argument FOR hackintoshing justified; i was running a hackintosh for a pretty long time before my computer finally died on me (was just a matter of time, poor old half burnt dell shit), and the os was exactly the number one reason why i wanted one. now i am about to start saving up for a real mac,
There's no justified argument for using anything illegally. Save money to get the real deal... Ot CHOOSE to use something legally different.
but case in point: he might be wanting a hackintosh for the os alone.
Still no reason to use it illegally. And the experience will never be the same thing. Just because you run the Mac OS, it doesn't mean it has the same experience as running real thing without having to put in the effort to get the thing running properly all of the time in the first place without having to 'fix' it every now and then.
there's numerous of software available for osx only which are pretty much indispensable for some musicians, and the alternatives available for windows is just plain shit in comparison
Just name a few that are indispensable...
there's two reasons to wanting to r un osx even though you don't have the hardware.
want more? osx is built upon freebsd and, as opposed to windows, is not singleclient and is not dependant of dll locked drivers and other shit that can potentially crash your entire computer for no apaprent reason other than sheer programming stupidity. also, it's really made for multitasking, both the way it handles processes and the way it handles software on the gUI side of the operating system.
Just a bunch of nonsense.. As if real macs don't ever crash or have software that never crashes. For instance, Adobe software sucks kind of no matter what platform you're on. There are numerous benchmarks which show that for certain programs Win7 outperforms OSX. You should use Google some more to find out.
the filesystem is another thing to consider.
Give me some examples why there's any truth to that statement. A very big amount of 'power'users who have been using macs for a long time are unsatisfied with the ageing HFS filesystem and would have like to seen Apple switch so the ZFS or some other more current filesystem. NTFS is not that bad compared to HFS. You should read more about the HFS filesystem before you make statements like that. Ever heard of 'Repair Permissions' and that sort of nonsense just to be able to delete or edit files on the HFS filesystem?
oh, and yes, it actually is about specs. if you could get a build that rivals the most specced out macpro for half the price, what is stopping you from getting two of them and double your capacity for the same price?
The hassle of getting it up and running and maintaining the stability and that sort of thing. Like I said before, just because it 'out specs' a real mac doesn't mean you get the same experience in the long run. Whether you believe it or not, I know and don't care if you don't.
if you were to do some research about hackintoshing i'm pretty sure that you would change your mind, or at the least get a new perspective. there's also the other reason: tinkering. some people (like myself) got into hackintoshing for the very reason that it could be done and because it was interesting to delve into making custom kexts and dig deep into the subsystems.
No, I wouldn't have changed my mind. Been there and have done that whether you believe it or not. I don't care, it's not the same thing.
When you get a mac it's tailored to that specific hardware. When you take it out of the box, it does what's it's supposed to do. It doesn't have anything to do with what you want or believe it should do. Apple made their choice and it just works for what it was envisioned to do. Just because you feel otherwise doesn't make you right. Just because you want to customize it to your needs doesn't mean Apple made a wrong decision, it just means you're wanting something different than the original was meant to be. There's a reason why Apple by default doesn't allow you the access the real subsystem (which doesn't mean you can't change it by using the Terminal, because it's Unix in the end and you can change things if you know what you are doing).
No, it isn't. It's black and white and anything in between. But there are choices! You just want things that are just not meant to be like the way you envision them to be. You have the right to think differently, but it doesn't make you right in any way. Why not get a Linux distro or any other real open source Unix OS? Because that would take just to much real effort and you want it to be a fake mac because you feel it costs too much money to get the real thing and anything you build 'out specs' the real deal without you knowing what the real deal actually has to offer. Buying or building things on the basis of just specs is for FOOLS that don't know what they are talking about. You made yourself believe you are right by giving yourself the right to use things illegally just because you don't want to pay for the real thing and think you have the right to do as you please just because it 'out specs' something and more of those BS reasons. I don't care what BS argument you bring to the table to justify your BS opinion.

Yes, I may be very very blunt about this very specific topic. And don't think that I don't know what I'm talking about, whether you believe or not which I don't care about.
*yawn*
Yes, a big fukkin yawn to you as well...
Have a wonderful time with your Hackintosh!
impressive how you can quote me so many times and without actually reading what i said.
also, for the record: if you get your hackintosh up and running properly (which is incredibly easy if you pick your components properly), you won't have any hassle at all. it's as easy set and forget. hell, even software updates works perfectly. aggrevated devices alone should be reason enough to use osx over windows, to be honest.

yes, i know about the filesystem and it's permissions, i also know how to modify the entire system in safemode terminal, and yes i also know that users wants to switch from the "aging" journaled HFS system, but to compare it with ntfs and go "ntfs is not that bad" is about as truthful as to compare a helicopter with a lollipop. if you start to hackintosh you pretty soon get sucked in with the innerworkings of the osx system, so yeah, i know a fair bit about that and again: there's numerous reasons to choose osx over windows, i just listed a few.

as for a linux distro, that's not exactly rocket science to set up either.
not sure what apple's eula is now, but what made hackintoshing increasingly popular (as well as incredibly hard for apple to shutdown the sites) was the fact that if you did buy the os retail from the store and you used it with an apple sticker on your freaking enclosure, it was legal. this is why they managed to shut down hackintosh sites which offered custom osx distro's but never managed to shut down site's that used the retail and was only tinkering with post installation and custom kexts added to the system, as this was not breaking the eula in any way. now i have no clue, nor do i care, since i am sitting on a windows machine while saving up for a macintosh. call it a trial if you wish, but it was a legal trail, so there.

Ub373NNN

Post by Ub373NNN » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:49 pm

stabiloty worrying over me on hakintoshs.

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:03 pm

sorry i haven`t read the full thread but have you thought about downgrading to snowleopard?
i got a hackintosh which i use for big productions . i`m running snowleopard since it came out without any problems.(since 2 years)
i upgraded ableton and snow leopard as well as all the other software
and i`m also using a ati 5770.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:49 pm

:lol:
Ub373NNN wrote:we go recording vocals into the hackintosh last months.

The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

casiblake

Post by casiblake » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:03 pm

Just want to throw this out for what it's worth: I have a MBP running OSX and Win7, as well as a main workstation with Win7, and have good luck with Ableton on both computers.

Considering the somewhat pathetic updates Apple have made to the Mac Pros just recently, I can think of many good reasons to build a Hackintosh for video and audio production. It is now quite feasible to build one that will be reliable for day-to-day work. The only reason I haven't bothered is that, honestly, I prefer Win7... :|
stoersignal wrote:sorry i haven`t read the full thread but have you thought about downgrading to snowleopard?
I believe Hackintosh installs of Snow Leopard from a retail/original DVD have been streamlined quite a bit. Even though Mountain Lion is on its way soon, Snow Leopard is still perfectly useable, and supposedly better-suited for older systems. (Early dual-cores e.g. Core 2 Duo / Pentium Exxxx)
-- Blake Casimir : Melodic Space Techno / Electro / Ambient Galaxies --
Bandcamp Orbital Station / Soundcloud Nebula / Warp Portal Homepage

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:25 pm

Why would they want to work on a Hackintosh? I'm sure they've got plenty of Macs and PCs in their offices.

:|
Unsound Designer

Opz

Post by Opz » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:33 am

nathannn wrote::lol:
Ub373NNN wrote:we go recording vocals into the hackintosh last months.

Funny picture indeed.
But the picture's filename says 'sthlmsoulswedishman-juli-02.jpg' and it's still june..
Like most things Ub373NNN posts, it's just forum crap.
This dude uses crap incorrect english nowadays even though in the past his english was quite good.
Check his previous posts from a while back...
The dude on the left is called Emrik and his website is http://www.emrik.nu
If the dude on the right with the glasses is supposed to be Ub373NNN and if you check Emrik's website and it's videos, the dude on the right is most likely called Hofstone, which then supposedly is Ub373NNN. That Hofstone guy has a nice singing voice and has some videos by himself as well. Don't know for sure if Hofstone is Ub373NNN, just comes very close though hahaha

Edit: his signature pic has a name in the filename: Anders Von Hofsten... Hofstone/Hofsten :)