Ableton looper problem.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
abletonfan777

Ableton looper problem.

Post by abletonfan777 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:55 pm

Okay here`s my problem.

When I`m looping sounds, I`m in session view (prefer it that way).... and here we go:

Lets say I got my mic hooked up, and can hear myself. And I create say 5 audio tracks. I`ll set a "looper" to each one. And in the first "audio 1" I`ll loop some beatboxing, harmonies etc. But when I try to make distinctive sounds using the same method for the next 4 tracks, its like I can`t or the sounds all kinda crash together into one big mess.

If I have say 5/8, how ever many audio tracks open, how can I have loopers in each one making separate sounds so that I can create one giant, crazy loopfest lol you get me????? The question has plagued me for weeks, and haven`t found a solid answer.

And also, once I`m done with such a crazy set, what are some clever ways that I can mute everything at one time???? Or is that not possible? Please, an detailed answer someone, anyone, asap, PLEASE. :mrgreen:

(don`t have a footpedal yet)

jhoiland3103

Re: Ableton looper problem.

Post by jhoiland3103 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:03 pm

set the audio track's monitor to "IN" and the looper's input->output setting to "never".

philipc

Post by philipc » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:31 pm

What matters when you're layering live loops is the same as when you're recording a mix. If you don't want to have everything getting pushed together into a mush (1) you need to have some stereo placement - don't have everything right in the centre of the mix (2) have a few loopers running in parallel and send their output to different tracks; on these different tracks have separate EQ settings (and panning too perhaps) so your loops aren't all competing for the same frequencies.

Basically it helps to think ahead a little bit with what you're going to do (although of course you want the freedom to improvise).

Of course you need also to think about the content of what you're looping. If its percussive, fill in the gaps, don't try to add layer on layer on top of each transient or it will of course turn mushy. If its melodic, harmonise and try different vocal timbres.

LIve's Utility plugin has a mute switch. Drop it on your master track. You can assign this to any keyboard key you want.

Just play around and see what works for you! (I'm no expert but I like big, layered looping too.)

abletonfan777

Post by abletonfan777 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:10 am

ight thanks, I`ll be back here soon to tell you what helped or not, if anyone else has any more tibits to throw in, PLEASE do cause fixing this problem would do wonders for me.

jhoiland3103

Post by jhoiland3103 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:36 am

I should also add, when using my method, you need to have your input on a separate track. With my setup, I have multiple inputs, all on separate tracks, going into a bus track. Then I have 5 tracks each with a looper and input set to my bus track. I was having the same problem you were until I figured out to set the input->output setting to "never".

abletonfan777

Post by abletonfan777 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:52 pm

jhoiland3103 wrote:I should also add, when using my method, you need to have your input on a separate track. With my setup, I have multiple inputs, all on separate tracks, going into a bus track. Then I have 5 tracks each with a looper and input set to my bus track. I was having the same problem you were until I figured out to set the input->output setting to "never".

Alright thanks man, you`ve been a HUGE help to me. bus track (or in ableton called "grouping") was something I was completely unaware of till your post, my flexibility in ableton just like tripled my god thanks! :D

jhoiland3103

Post by jhoiland3103 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:49 pm

Glad I could help. grouping is a great feature...i just wish you could have groups within groups. That would eliminate the need for separate bus tracks and clean things up for me quite a bit.

abletonfan777

Post by abletonfan777 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:13 pm

Ight just encountered an interesting problem:

For example I`ll press play, and hit the global record button. Then in the "session view", 4 separate audio tracks have "clip slots" with audio in them. I`ll press play on them, and the audio is recorded into the arrangement view. Great. BUT. The audio in the "clip slots"? It came from audio being looped into the ableton looper. So when I record the "clip slot" into the arrangement view, I can have that sound loop over and over again.

The problem I`m having is that I will be playing one clipslot sound, and somehow another one on a separate audio track will started playing unintentionally at the same time. The only solution (noob, sorry lol) I found was to mute other clipslot sounds that`d play unintentionally.

How can I upload a sound into abletons looper, record to "clip slot", repeat method for multiple tracks, Then when I want to record, record clipslot sounds from each audio track individually, how can this be done without the issue I mentioned above???? PLEASE HELP :mrgreen:

abletonfan777

Post by abletonfan777 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:24 pm

bump...

jhoiland3103

Post by jhoiland3103 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:41 pm

I'm not sure if I really understand your problem. I always just record into a clip instead of global record.