I wanna get in sync!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Lo-Fi Massahkah

I wanna get in sync!

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:36 pm

At the moment I have two pieces of hardware (well... that are important... to this issue, at least) - an Elektron Machinedrum and a Clavia G2. I'd like the both of them to sync. That wouldn't be a problem if I didn't also use Live as a sequencer, 'cause I'd like them to sync to that as well.

So how do you clever people with multiple grooveboxes, arpeggiators and drummachines keep them all ticking on the same beat when Live is the center of attention? Please fill me in!

Cheers,
Mikael

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:01 pm

well, your clavia and/or machinedrum have midi through, right? If so, I'd recommend going Live out -> machinedrum in. Machindrum thru -> clavia g2 in, setting both the machinedrum and the clavia to external sync.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:19 pm

I have always stayed clear off MIDI through, thinking that it was better with a dedicated IN/OUT for every synth. But it makes sense to use it with the MIDI clock.

Thanks!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:27 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:I have always stayed clear off MIDI through, thinking that it was better with a dedicated IN/OUT for every synth. But it makes sense to use it with the MIDI clock.
Yeah, in general that's true, but if there's only a few devices in the chain you should be alright I guess. And don't forget, if the sync's dodgy, then try live->g2->MD instead

fsk

Post by fsk » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:01 pm

its very loud :P and I almost woke everyone up!

Personally Im not that into like house stuff, but sounds good to me, maybe sounds a bit muddled in bits with so much going on.
Sound Recordist & Designer
http://www.postboxaudio.com

fsk

Post by fsk » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:04 pm

oh shiiiiiit wrong thread, sorry
Sound Recordist & Designer
http://www.postboxaudio.com

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:15 pm

I doubt you'll have any problems. If you do, you could always get a MIDI splitter box.

I remember back in 83-84 when MIDI was introduced, all these people were stressing about the "inherent delay introduced by chaining MIDI devices together" until you realise that musicians standing 5 feet apart from each other on stage have just as much accoustic delay happening as the sound travels in the air between them. Nerds... :lol:

divonic

Post by divonic » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:45 pm

If you are using the internal sequencers in the MD and the nord (it has an internal sequencer right?) then I'd suggest that you use one of the hardware devices as the master.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:07 am

divonic wrote:If you are using the internal sequencers in the MD and the nord (it has an internal sequencer right?) then I'd suggest that you use one of the hardware devices as the master.
The MD has rock solid MIDI clock (that's what people say). So I'd like that to be the master. But as far as I know Live can't both slave and pass on MIDI clock to another device. Or can it?

Cheers,
Mikael

mexique1

Post by mexique1 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:35 am

as far as I know Live can't both slave and pass on MIDI clock to another device
Live4 can do that, i don't know for Live3 (it seems to me i've read you are using live3), but if i remember it's the same !

i think you should do that : MD=>G2=>Live3

but every configuration is good :)
RS7000 >> Live 4.1.4 >> Virus B
Desktop : Win XP Pro SP1, E-MU 1212M
Laptop : Win XP Pro SP2, M-Audio FW410

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:51 am

I'm a lazy piece of trash!

Of course, you're right Mexique1. I just had to tweak some of the global settings in the MD and G2 to get it to work. Great - no MIDI thru (or re-wiring) and mission accomplished.

Thanks all!

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:13 am

After playing around with the MD and G2 (through Live) tonight - I realize that this solution doesn't click at all... Even though I have adjusted the delay compensation in Live - they don't sync at all.

So I looked at M-Audio's midi merger. Does anyone have any experiences? I was thinking MD and Live merged->G2 using the MD clock and the Live sequencer. What do you think?

Cheers,
Mikael