Mixing on Headphones

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
digimixa

Re: Mixing on Headphones

Post by digimixa » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:29 pm

This is excellent and cheap http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isone/
'Offworld' Chillout EP Released 25 October 2011 on Mindlifting Records

Frequency Storm Music

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:37 pm

Dr. Fluffenstein wrote:I'm thinking of buying the K271's, which are the closed version of 240's. That might help with hearing more detail and blocking out noise.
Those K271's are magic. I'm thinking of getting the Mk 2, but haven't had a real need since my Mk 1 is still alive and kicking after 5 years of use.
The headband is really what does it for me. For some reason, most headphones seem to be on a mission to make me balder quicker by ripping out my hair. Never with the AKG K271.
Gets a bit annoying after a few hours and isn't recommended on hot sweaty nights. But its still my favorite headphone. And one size fits all...

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:47 pm

timothyallan wrote:Don't do it often would be my tip.
Right after I read your response groove3.com emailed me an invoice for $7 with the option to spread the payment out over 3 months. :x

:P

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:39 pm

i think i got tinnitus from mixing years on high volume with 130db headphones.
you don,t want that so watch out for mixing on long sessions on high volumes.

c33

Post by c33 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:08 am

Agreed about mixing at high volumes. In addition to the obvious, I think my ears get fatigued quicker because I'm listening to the music in a different way. It's more technical.

I'm new to the whole home recording arena--switching artist, producer, and engineer hats is tough--so I'm still getting my system down and I still have a lot to learn. But I think I prefer to mostly mix with my monitors at lower volumes.. cranking things up from time to time.

I have a pair of these headphones: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT ... 491&sr=8-1 They're supposed to be flat frequency.. I'm not sure about that, but they're decent and affordable. I've also had a pair of Sony MDR-V300 headphones for years. Great headphones. Not really ideal for mixing, I suppose, but I know them well and they're good for reference purposes.

Serra

Post by Serra » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:15 pm

www.twitter.com/superstringz

Superstringz 'Revolver' on feature film, more info soon:
http://www.beatport.com/track/revolver- ... ix/2042615

Donny

Post by Donny » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:52 am

works well for me as i don't have monitors, but great cans.

in the past it has been more of trial and error but the process of mixing on cans for me simply involves A/B comparison with my tracks and pro ones