ValhallaRoom vs RP-Verb

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kanuck

ValhallaRoom vs RP-Verb

Post by kanuck » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:39 am

Starting to dip my toes in third party plugins.

So the 2 reverbs that really came up a lot are the Aether and RP-Verb.

Now, the reason why RP-Verb came up was because I'm pretty set on buying the RP-Delay which comes free with RP-Verb. Doing some research on the RP-Verb showed that it's pretty popular and well recieved. Now another really popular algo reverb seems to be Aether. Judging by the price tag and demos it seems that Aether is a better reverb. How much overlap is there between these 2? Is it worth getting the RP-Verb if I'll probably get the Aether later down thre road? Is Aether worth getting if I already have the RP-Verb? Would it be better perhaps to get the RP-Verb and a nice convolution reverb?

Thanks.
Last edited by kanuck on Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

twisted-space

Re: 2C Audio Aether vs RP-Verb

Post by twisted-space » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:51 am

I'd strongly recommend giving Valhalla DSP Room a try before you make any decisions.
It sounds gorgeous, is very versatile and is only $50.

http://www.valhalladsp.com

While you're there, grab Freqecho, fabulous, free, pitchshifting delay.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:55 am

Aether ...quite simply put..

I've not heard anything that comes close..
it's the most impressive reverb unit I've heard (either hardware or software..)
the only Reverb you'll need..(although a cpu killer)
it also has a simpler 'little brother' called 'Breeze'..so check that out as well

I've not tried RP-anything.. but I'm willing to bet they're not in the same league..
I would advise to download both demos and A/B..

as for convolution verbs..
http://www.liquidsonics.com/software_reverberate_le.htm
http://www.knufinke.de/sir/sir1.php
these get me by..

Nick Shepherd

Post by Nick Shepherd » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:02 pm

+1 @ 3dot...

Aether is my go-to reverb aswell... really loving it - i have tried quite a lot different plugins and nothing came remotely close in terms of usability and sound-quality

still, chosing the right reverb often is still a matter of taste and depends on the piece of music your working on.... but Aether never let me down and really is a great general purpose reverb :)

Peevy

Post by Peevy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:04 pm

+1 for breeze, sounds excellent, very uncomplicated & a......Breeze to use (oh yeah I went there :twisted:)
ValhallaRoom is great too & well worth $50! Probably would have went for ValhallaRoom if it was available before Breeze but I've no regrets & am more than happy with Breeze.
Haven't heard anything bad about RP-Verb, I have RP-Delay & think its an amazing delay for the price.
Image Image Image Image

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:01 pm

I used both aether and rp-verb.

Tend to use aether much more, but rp-verb comes into its own for something a bit dirtier.
Breeze is pretty good as well, not as tweakable as aether of course, but often you dont need all that tweekability and so it has become a standard goto reverb as a starting point.

What kind of thing are you wanting to us it own the most and what genres of music? That might sway you a little one way or the other in terms of which one to get first.

Aether is expensive - rp-verb isnt, and nundled with the de;ay (great delay - that how I ended up with rp-verb).

TBH - use quite alot of different reverbs for all sorts fo different jobs. Breeze and Aether are probably to most used. Breeze tends to be just quick and easy to get something that quite decent quickly.

I also use EOS and toraverb for some jobs. Another to look at is red-line reverb (which I dont have, but have been tempted to get for a while).

As a general reverb for most production styles - aether probably the best of the bunch and the most adaptable. Breeze is basically as stripped down version that fine for most people who arnt into spedning ages perfectly tweaking a reverb, for if trying to accurately simulation the multiple reverbs of differnt orchestral sections, them aether - nothing else comes close when you split it and use multi instances of the early reflection engine.

But for vocals, drums, synths etc where you want a standard plate, or ambience or a basic room, breeze is just fine. The is where redline is good as well (*Which I find better for precise ambience and spaces from drums etc - just seems more easy to get a very clean result.

rp-verb I quite like for characterful plates etc on synths, electric guitars, and as a second effect reverb on vocals (ie in addition to an ambience reverb). I use it alot wioth rp-delay - grungy dubs etc.

EOS and toraverb I tend to use alot for thick washes and thick synth plates (often before a compressor - think faithless type stabs etc) - a most prominent example of the kind of washes is the snare washes in one of the infinity remixes. Use them alot in conjunction with a basic or tape delay (dubstation, NI tape delay, waves mix tape for eg).
Nothing to see here - move along!

Press Enter

Post by Press Enter » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:48 pm

+1 3dot

Valhalla VRoom is good too, though I think it's appropriately priced at $50.

Aether is more expensive, but you're absolutely getting what you pay for. Without a doubt.

Which you should get will depend on how much you want out of a reverb.

self77

Post by self77 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:11 pm

What Khazul said re. Redline and Toraverb, really.

Haven't tried either RP or Aether, because I can get everything I want from those two (the former more for putting a sound in a space, the latter for more of an affected/sculpted/messed-with sound (although it does subtle well, too).

But I love all the D16 and Redline stuff, and try not to have too many plug-ins that do the same things.

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:20 pm

What I don't like about Aether is that it reselects automation parameter each time I hit play in the Arrangement view in Live. Eg. if I had Wet parameter selected previously and it's curve displayed before I start playing my set, then shortly after starting playing part of the Arrangement, the parameter is automatically set to something else (very annoying), and also the button in the Arrangement next to OVR will light up indicating that the arrangement has changed compared to its previous state -- but this is nonsense, because I haven't changed anything, just hit the PLAY button.

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:28 pm

Aether is great, bit of a cpu hit though. I use EOS for simpler small tasks, as I already had it and didn't want to splurge for breeze when it was released after the fact of my already purchasing a copy of Aether. Get Aether though, it's crazy good.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:16 pm

RP-Verb is definitely pretty nice sounding. However I find that Aether and Vlhalla Room covers pretty well any Reverb sound you could want. RP-Verb does have a couple little tricks though. I've debated it for a while but never picked it up. Looking forward to the next update which will let me demo it again.

I recently picked up Valhalla Room though and I'm really loving it. It has a way of enveloping the sound in a nice lush way. I find it's quite different to Aether.

These two and RP-Verb I don't think you can go wrong with them. It's worth mentioing though that V-Room is only 50 bucks and very versatile.
Professional Shark Jumper.

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:08 am

Thanks for all the comments and help.

I've narrowed it down to this:

RP-Verb vs ValhallaRoom

and then picking up Aether later on down the road.

So any help to decide between rp-verb or valhalla?

kanuck

Re: ValhallaRoom vs RP-Verb

Post by kanuck » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:48 am

changed the name of the thread
bump

3dot...

Re: ValhallaRoom vs RP-Verb

Post by 3dot... » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:15 am

wtf man? just get one already...seriously...
it's a 50$ plugin ffs
(and looks like Valhalla is a favorite)