Disabled VSTs, how to get them back?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Shokol8

Disabled VSTs, how to get them back?

Post by Shokol8 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:40 pm

I got one of my VST that have been disabled,because there were some problems loading it ,i have reinstalled it but it says ,this vst has been disabled,so i can't use it anymore!!!So my question ,is ,how can i re-enable it?
Shokol8
Paris, Bristol
MBP i5 2.3Gh 8GB 500SSD, 1TB HDD
Sierra Suite 9.7 Edirol FA101
CME VX5, Irig Keys Pro
APC40/Push 1
Ipad Air, Alesis I/O dock, NI S4 & F1
http://soundcloud.com/dr_goldsylver-fastfinger

Lumix

Re: Disabled VSTs, how to get them back?

Post by Lumix » Mon May 07, 2012 9:13 am

hmmm i had serval times this problem: ableton disabled vsts from time to time which worked for me like a charm before. you came back from your weekend and it tells me today my CSR Inverted VST isnt compatitble with Live?! i mean why it was working last week.
(just saw the Whole CSR Family is disabled WHY ABLETON?! :twisted: )

you can just delete everything in your Ableton Folder:
here is my path:

Code: Select all

c:\Users\Lumix\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 8.2.8\
im on WIN7 x64 SP1

save your template before and reconfig your ableton and it should work again.

reseted everything to default and reconfig everything and the plugin works again - took me fucking 45 mins thank you ableton.
The Davile Insaide Teh Mashihne.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon May 07, 2012 12:20 pm

A simpler way : takes 2 seconds

in preferences when you press the vst rescan button hold down your Alt key ... This forces a full rescan of blocked plugins

Lumix

Post by Lumix » Mon May 07, 2012 8:10 pm

Angstrom wrote:A simpler way : takes 2 seconds

in preferences when you press the vst rescan button hold down your Alt key ... This forces a full rescan of blocked plugins
oO thank you :) thats the answer i was looking for!
The Davile Insaide Teh Mashihne.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Mon May 07, 2012 8:20 pm

Cool Protip!

Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

alexfsu

Post by alexfsu » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:58 pm

What if alt doesn't work? I had to disable plugin scan to enter this Splice project because I don't have Nexus 2 and I'm pretty sure that's crashing it before it can load. But I can't enable any of the plugins I do have when I enter the project. Sylenth1 is still disabled after holding alt and pressing rescan.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:12 am

still a great tip - thank you!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:57 am

Post that in the "useful tips" thread because I typically move the dll to a sub folder (which scans it) then back again (which scans it again). That is a much more sensible way.

jarvislain

Post by jarvislain » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:07 pm

:D

dương

Post by dương » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:13 am

Try to rescaned but didn't work for me , I have trouble with my analog lab 4 plug in :(

Irrlicht

Post by Irrlicht » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:36 am

the "alt-key" method is a safe way to reopen a session, however it will not fix the problem on it's own, because you won't be able to use the plugin within that session. Even once the session is loaded you will not be able to rescan the problems within the session. The only way to reactivate the plugins, is by actually restarting Ableton.
Which means you have to delete a couple plugins, that you deem likely to cause the problem and hopefully you haven put too much work in. It's a pain, I know, but that works. Because when you save the project with some of the plugins deleted (maybe save it as an alternative session, in case you don't instantly delete the plugins causing the problem in conjunction with Ableton), you will usually be able to close Ableton, reload without pressing the alt-key and voila, you can once again work.

Another thing I have noticed, but am not sure wether it's "just lucky" or not is starting ableton - without instantly loading a session (so plugins get scanned). Then loading a session, once Ableton is up and running, but holding the alt-key while it's loading. It has worked wonders on a session that gave me problems.

It has come to the point where I do just basic sounddesign and Automation in Ableton and all of the heavy lifting in Pro Tools. This is a shame, because I by far prefer Abletons options to automate - it's a lot faster and more intuitive. Note that I am still on version 10 (suite).

Wurli

Post by Wurli » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:23 pm

dương wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:13 am
Try to rescaned but didn't work for me , I have trouble with my analog lab 4 plug in :(
After doing the lt re-scan duplicate the track with the disabled plug_in . The new duplicated track will enable the device with all your settings.

Hope this works

dagnabbit

Post by dagnabbit » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:19 pm

After doing the lt re-scan duplicate the track with the disabled plug_in . The new duplicated track will enable the device with all your settings.

Hope this works

Thank you! :D This was what I needed. Here was my protocol:
1. Open a blank Ableton project
2. Disable plugins by going into Preferences and changing the VST2 Plug-In Custom Folder to an empty folder created for this purpose (assigning a random folder to your Custom Plug-In folder may crash Ableton). This allowed me to:
3. Successfully open the project with the faulty plugin
4. Reassign the appropriate Custom Plug-In folder in Preferences
5. Highlight all tracks, then duplicate (this enabled the disabled plugins)
6. Look for the faulty plugin - eradicate
7. Collect All and Save
8. Pray you deleted the right plugin