What new computer should i get?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:23 pm

Damon_Chambers wrote:i currently have a sony vaio laptop, and im buying a powerbook in a few weeks and ditching the sony and windows.

i have been in the IT industry 5 years now, and i dont want anything important like live running on windows.

everony together now.... one big giant :roll:

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:39 pm

T to the R to the O double L!

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:38 am

thats funny.i sold my powerbook to get a pc.never been happier.uh oh here we go again

Damon_Chambers

Post by Damon_Chambers » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:05 am

dont forget about portability. if you want to use live in a true "live" setting, it may be a PITA to lug your desktop around with you.

Damon_Chambers

Post by Damon_Chambers » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:07 am

AdamJay wrote:
Damon_Chambers wrote:i currently have a sony vaio laptop, and im buying a powerbook in a few weeks and ditching the sony and windows.

i have been in the IT industry 5 years now, and i dont want anything important like live running on windows.

dear God... please STFU. its a matter of personal preference. he asked a question, and i gave an answer. you dont like the answer i gave, therefore i am a troll, and i get the roll eyes smiley? how intolerant are you people here really?

toneroll

Post by toneroll » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:54 am

don't listen to any of thses mac versus pc comments, anyone who makes music on their pc/mac knows how to keep both systems stable and do the job.

the thing you wanna be askin is how much money do you want to spend????? and what do you want to get for it?

the difference between osx and xp pro hasnt got anything to do with making music once your sequencer has got focus...

heres what i just got for $2,700:

2.1 ghz centrino 765 , 2 gb ram , 60 gb hd @ 7200 rpm , 160 gb external at same speed ,mobility radeon 9700. its 17 inches wide of vst munching POWER with xp pro installed and stable as you like.. dont forget an extra battery and nice carry case . ps im not trolling just saying what i got and for how much , this might help you make a decision.
there used to be a well cheesy "sig." here

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:30 am

Damon_Chambers wrote:
AdamJay wrote:

dear God... please STFU. its a matter of personal preference. he asked a question, and i gave an answer. you dont like the answer i gave, therefore i am a troll, and i get the roll eyes smiley? how intolerant are you people here really?
i was just rolling my eyes... and inviting others to do so!
geeeeeeez.

anyways, yea he did ask a question. he also asked for no mac or pc bashing because he didn't care about that. you gave more than just an answer. tsk tsk.

i just found alot of hostility in the "dont want anything important like live running on windows." comment. Because you know, if it were that important and windows was as crap as you're making it out to be, then no one would develop audio software for windows. (not to mention the obvious performance gains one gets in Live by using a windows machine).

but yea, you are correct. i'm wrong and intolerant.
have a lovely evening :D

Spacerboy

Post by Spacerboy » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:37 am

PII 433MHz, 64MB EDO-RAM, 16MB grafik...at least

spacy

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:20 am

Why don't you just buy AdamJay's amd? Easy. End thread.

:wink:

tomlaw

Post by tomlaw » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:04 pm

OK, after more research, I'm now looking at the Gateway 7422GX that Best Buy is selling for $1250. It's got an Athlon 3400+, 1g RAM, 80g drive. I like the price! Anybody tried one of these with Live?

I'll be curious to see if 4200rpm will meet my needs, or if I'll need to upgrade the drive...

twain_x26

Post by twain_x26 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:25 pm

I know, live is meant to be played "live", and portability and all that, but I don't currently need it portable. I like live just as a sequencer, so I'm looking for maximum performance. Most laptops that I've seen don't offer the power of desktops, that's why I'm looking for a desktop.
I am strongly leaning towards a pc. and possibly building one myself. The only thing there is, then I'll have to learn windows, and all the things that I'll need to learn to keep it stable.
$2000 is going to be about my price cap actually. If I could make it higher i would, but i don't have any more money to toss in. Infact I'm still waiting for THAT check to arrive in the mail.
Thanks for everyones help so far :)

detroitechno

Post by detroitechno » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:12 pm

if you have $2000 to build your own pc, your laughing! You could build a damn fast computer with that. I mean, super fast! Stick with the athlon 64, and get the fastest one you can. Preferably the socket 939 ones.

and regarding the guy with the sony notebook, NEVER buy sony computers. they are horrible for driver support unless your using there factory based settings. once you try and wipe it out and strip it down, your pretty much f0cked.... I know this from experience, horrible!
A bunch of gear, cords, and a computer...

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:33 pm

Let's end the whole pc/mac thing alltogether. This machine here is portable and has a color screen.

http://oldcomputers.net/sx64.html
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

toneroll

Post by toneroll » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:39 pm

you could get a laptop thats as fast as a lot of desktops for 2 grand , but f you build one you could build a monster with an athalon 64 check this bare bones fir and idea

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 49423&rd=1

plus then you've got loads left for sound cards controller monitors the lot , keeping it stable is a peice of cake , adjust for best performance proccesor for background services ( both under system- advanced) oh and dont go on the internet with it or install dodgy prorams (or install the one at a time , check stability , install another etc) really mate xp now is as stable as any onthyer OS long as you dont go on the internet with no security progs etc.
there used to be a well cheesy "sig." here

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:15 pm

yea with $2G's you can get one hell of a machine, especially if you want a desktop. I've configured quite a few machines for folks on this forum and other friends.... if you need some help, private message me.

you could go Athlon 64 FX-55 with 2GB ram, 200GB HD, 16x DVDRW Dual layer, all in a small shuttle box for that kind of money. hel you could add a 19" LCD and still keep all of that under $2,000.

but if you dont want to jump into windows, you could get a dual 1.8ghz G5 and theres a really good chance that we will see true dual processor audio engine support by Live Version 5. at which point any dual G5 will chew up Ableton. its something worth considering.